The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by GeorgiaC901
That would be great I hope that's true where did you hear that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

teachers were talking about it in my school because i had science straight after the test and also people on other forums are talking about this as well.
Original post by Macaulay15
After finishing the test I can fairly say it was very easy and don't want to get ahead of myself by being too cocky. I'll just go through what I wrote for all three six markers
1-TWINS-
They can all look different due to environmental factors such as health and fitness one may have heart problems ext also they are clones of each other having the same genotype but the apperence changes due to environmental reasons contrary to what I said earlier. However is it fair to test on them because their twins you should at least get their concent. Also there may be horrific side effects leading to effects in their life. Furthermore there is a very small chance one could die due to experiments alough the chance is very minimal.
2-EBOLA-
It can be good as the dead cells go inside the immune system and the antibodies fight them also the memory cell remember the antibodies (white blood cells ext) to fight that disease leading to an immunity this same effect is used in vaccines such as Edward jenners smallpox. however they may not have the same blood type leading to damages to her body as the blood will reject his. Furthermore in 3rd world countries they have a lack of protein and a non nougritionla diet leading to a ineffective immune system due to the lack of protein this means the dead cells may cause harm and the vaccine might not work.
3-EXTINCTION-(I wrote so many bulletin points)
Their habitat could have been destroyed. Change in food chain. Other species could of been extinct. Too much competition. Natural disasters. Change in environment. Other species mutate. Disease. Infection .lack of protein and no vaccines to infections/diseases. Ext

Anyone got simular

Apparently for the Extinction 6-marker you had to talk about natural selection (according to most of my mates) . But I don't see the link. What do you think of this?
hey how was the exam today, i think it was quite weird but good at the same time. Other students in my class said they flopped but im hoping that i didn't
Reply 303
even though this test was quite hard we should still happy that we didn't do the aqa exam.
Original post by jaspooni18
even though this test was quite hard we should still happy that we didn't do the aqa exam.

True, at least ours had biology in it rather than business studies :lol:
Reply 305
Original post by JennLousie
True, at least ours had biology in it rather than business studies :lol:

:grin::grin::grin:
Original post by stormblazer999
Apparently for the Extinction 6-marker you had to talk about natural selection (according to most of my mates) . But I don't see the link. What do you think of this?

I don't see how there any correlation between extinction and natural selection as the majority in the chat and myself have spoke about how they could of become extinct ext not natural selection
Original post by Macaulay15
I don't see how there any correlation between extinction and natural selection as the majority in the chat and myself have spoke about how they could of become extinct ext not natural selection

Yeah, same here. Thanks for clarifying.

Nah, surely not???:s-smilie: It specifically asked about causes of extinction, not survival. Seems like most people didn't talk about NS and they've not asked about extinction as much in the past - so it makes more sense to ask about it in 2016
Original post by GeorgiaC901
It is being talked about on Twitter and this is normally a good sign at people struggled so the grade boundaries should be low

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah good :h:
Original post by Ella_08
Nah, surely not???:s-smilie: It specifically asked about causes of extinction, not survival. Seems like most people didn't talk about NS and they've not asked about extinction as much in the past - so it makes more sense to ask about it in 2016

That's a very fair point. But people have said that natural selection leads to some people becoming more advantageous than others, and so the others will die because they cannot adapt....

Anyways, thanks for clarifying too!
Original post by JennLousie
My teacher said fractional distillation or modifications for C1, something with salt or chlorine for C2 and combustion or transport pollution for C3. But after today I wouldn't say you can predict anything

Thanku. Yeah, you're right. Some things u can't prepare for especially if it's a graph/data 6 marker. Although having a rough idea is still good :gthumb:
That's a very fair point. But people have said that natural selection leads to some people becoming more advantageous than others, and so the others will die because they cannot adapt....

Anyways, thanks for clarifying too!

Actually I was thinking that too. Although NS can lead to survival it can also go the reverse and the species with less advantageous genes can't compete and die - just as you said. But tbh our points are definitely correct about extinction so I think the mark scheme should be relatively flexible. It better be fair!!! :hmmmm2:
Original post by Ella_08
Actually I was thinking that too. Although NS can lead to survival it can also go the reverse and the species with less advantageous genes can't compete and die - just as you said. But tbh our points are definitely correct about extinction so I think the mark scheme should be relatively flexible. It better be fair!!! :hmmmm2:

Yeah, it's not like they would mark us down for not mentioning Natural Selection. We can obviously still get a Level 3 (5-6marks) answer for the points we've mentioned.
Yeah, it's not like they would mark us down for not mentioning Natural Selection. We can obviously still get a Level 3 (5-6marks) answer for the points we've mentioned.

Definitely, feeling pretty confident about that question now. I'm guessing our points were pretty similar. Good work:wink:! Good luck with chemistry
Could someone make a c1c2c3 thread, to focus on the chemistry exam

We can share predictions/resources to help get the a*s we want
Original post by joocK
why?:biggrin:

hah, i get nervous before all my exams, im a very anxious person. id revised lots though, but i found a lot of the stuff i knew from the syllabus wasn't used. i also made one really silly mistake during the paper!
Original post by Sum Ting
Could someone make a c1c2c3 thread, to focus on the chemistry exam

We can share predictions/resources to help get the a*s we want

Yes we should

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it just me or did the test feel a lot shorter then the practise ones? I mean it felt like so much less paper. And for the Neanderthal question I said as one point that it evolved into a different species, does that count would you say? The 6ers were so weird, and nothing on the nitrogen cycle.
Reply 319
Original post by Grimalki
Is it just me or did the test feel a lot shorter then the practise ones? I mean it felt like so much less paper. And for the Neanderthal question I said as one point that it evolved into a different species, does that count would you say? The 6ers were so weird, and nothing on the nitrogen cycle.

I know what you mean. I tried so hard learning the nitrogen cycle but nothing like that came up. They were mainly ethical questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending