The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cirsium
Gonna be something like:
* Isolate the gene from the bacteria
* Cut it out using an enzyme
* Splice (<-- no way you need this word but I've got my genetics brain on not my biology teacher brain and can't think of a GCSE word) the gene into the DNA of the mosquito

Basically, take it out and put it back in with an extra mark for mentioning enzymes.

You cut a bit of the useful DNA by using an enzyme. Then you insert the enzyme into a plasmid and insert that plasmid to a bacterium. Place the bacterium back to the mosquito's DNA.
FULL MARKS
Original post by Rim_Taidan
according to that mark scheme ... i would get 51 marks ... :frown:

And, pray tell, what's wrong with 51 marks? That's either an A* or an A for sure. You should be happy, I reckon most of us have got Cs or less. :cry:
Original post by ammara-123
What was the malaria mean??

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean the percentage it was 0.6 recurring
Original post by Skywarrior657
You cut a bit of the useful DNA by using an enzyme. Then you insert the enzyme into a plasmid and insert that plasmid to a bacterium. Place the bacterium back to the mosquito's DNA.
FULL MARKS

Oo check you out with your plasmids ;-) Just be careful - you're not putting the bacteria in the mosquitos DNA... you're using the bacteria to make lots of copies of the plasmid and then putting that back in the DNA
Anyone else scared now for chemistry?
The higher exam didn't have rats on did it? Only foundation?
Original post by goldenusername
And you're sad????

I know right.. was thinking the same thing, wth is wrong with 51 marks?! If anything, less than 25-30 should be something to cry about.
Original post by Mike-Lut
It asked for it as a percentage, so shouldn't you have multiplied by 100, to get 60%? That's what I put.

I divided the smaller number (number of deaths) by the total number of those infected with malaria to find the percentage of those who died after being infected with malaria. I multiplied my answer by 100 and it gave me 0.6 recurring. I thought that this was a ridiculously small percentage for such a devastating disease so I multiplied it by 100 which gave me 66.6% which makes sense in my head but probably was wrong.
Original post by laurenhart99

Nah.... Chemistry is always way more predictable. Although I'd be lying if I said my kids weren't gonna be getting a crash-course reminder in different types of graphs...
Original post by Cirsium
Indicator species needs to be some kind of invertebrate (could name one like mayfly larvae) and the environmental factor is likely to be amount of dissolved oxygen (you can't just say pollution levels because that is given in the stem of the question), and then your other method of measuring it will be something like using a sort of probe

Ah right! Oops, I didn't do that right then...
Original post by laurenhart99

Yep. Might consider not revising at all and just go ask some rats how they cope with alcoholism. Probably more useful than revising topics that won't even come up in the exam. 2 years of my life I'll never get back.
Original post by AxSirlotl
I divided the smaller number (number of deaths) by the total number of those infected with malaria to find the percentage of those who died after being infected with malaria. I multiplied my answer by 100 and it gave me 0.6 recurring. I thought that this was a ridiculously small percentage for such a devastating disease so I multiplied it by 100 which gave me 66.6% which makes sense in my head but probably was wrong.

Yeah... you only need to multiply it by 100 once.
Think about it - you had a 10^6 number and a 10^8 number. 10^6 is 100 times smaller than 10^8 so that takes you down to 1% already. And then 2/3 gives you the 0.67 instead of just 1%
Original post by Rim_Taidan
according to that mark scheme ... i would get 51 marks ... :frown:

What mark scheme???
so for chemistry I am revising fractional distillation of malaria and polymerisation of snails x
Original post by Cirsium
Nah.... Chemistry is always way more predictable. Although I'd be lying if I said my kids weren't gonna be getting a crash-course reminder in different types of graphs...

Yo Cirsium you know the question about sense organ what did you say.
Original post by dangerouswoman
Yep. Might consider not revising at all and just go ask some rats how they cope with alcoholism. Probably more useful than revising topics that won't even come up in the exam. 2 years of my life I'll never get back.

On the plus side, Chemistry is way more predictable! They just like putting in weird ass contexts to advantage the upper middle class kids. Although the alcoholic rats are actually from your spec :p:
Reply 996
what did people get for the GM Mosquitoes question, btw i got 15% as well but i don't think its right
The answer is 0.6% recurring
What did you put for the indicator question? I put lichens but apparently that's incorrect?
Original post by Skywarrior657
Yo Cirsium you know the question about sense organ what did you say.

I wasn't taking the exam, I was invigilating my year 11s Physics mock while waiting to hear about it from my year 10s ;-)
But if I had taken the exam I would have said any of the five big obvious organs: eyes, nose, ears, tongue or skin :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending