The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: GCSE AQA Chemistry - C1- Higher- 19th May 2016 - AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awais_
DISCUSS EVERYTHING RELATED TO THE GCSE AQA CHEMISTRY EXAMINATION- Higher tier- WHICH IS ON 19th May 2016 - AM - here.

Revision, study tips. Etc. :-)

I have dates for all examinations, just ask :wink:

how are you preparing for this exam. i havent started revision nd i think its a bit late now and i wanted an a*:colonhash:
Original post by Bushes1309
how are you preparing for this exam. i havent started revision nd i think its a bit late now and i wanted an a*:colonhash:

dw
just be optimistic and revise :biggrin:
so I am revising fractional distillation of malaria and polymerisation of snails x
Original post by thecomputernerd
so I am revising fractional distillation of malaria and polymerisation of snails x

I think that's a good idea, I mean you want to revise everything on the spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
what could the 6 marker be on?? any one have ideas???
Reply 25
Original post by Agrace_15

General Predictions

Plenty of papers always start with atomic structure, so that is charges, location of sub-atomic particles, electronic configuration, mass of atoms, etc.

Most likely there will be equations that will need to be balanced, they are getting harder each year though.

AQA has started asking questions about topics such as emulsions and hardening of oils. You should know the structure of the emulsifier and the conditions for hardening. If you are every stuck when it comes to talking about conditions with anything to do on C1 just write down that it needs to be hot with a catalyst.

Looking at examiner reports, they often complain saying that students rarely answer bromine water questions correctly. The examiners love asking questions about topics that students will have no clue on (as we've seen in B1 already).

Displacement reactions might come up. Along with this a lot of practical experiment questions pop up in exams, so you should know how to work out the mean, spot anomalies, drawing graphs, predictions from data, lines of best fit, etc.

A lot of organic chemistry is likely to come up because of the amount of it that was on the course. For example, ethanol, how it is used, how it is produced, the problems with it; alkanes and alkenes and polymers as well. These were topics that examiners commented on in last year's report.

Potential 6 mark questions:

Anything to do with limestone, so quarrying, its production and the cycle of limestone. The reason for this is because it is not in the new specification so we will be one of the last years to be examined about this.

Polymers may appear because it is a big part of the new specification. So you need to know how to draw polymers, ethical issues to do with plastics, etc.

The Miller-Urey experiment hasn't come up in a long while either.
Original post by AJ2104
General Predictions

Plenty of papers...

Thanks!! this is really useful... I forgot all about examiner reports! All of those sound like likely 6 markers too and I'm going to have to really revise organic chem
Thanks!! this is really useful... I forgot all about examiner reports! All of those sound like likely 6 markers too and I'm going to have to really revise organic chem

You sure? After todays B1 exam i don't trust AQA idiots
I don't trust any AQA predictions anymore haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I just hope this chemistry exam goes very well. Hopefully better than drunk rats.
If anyone wants to test eachother on C1, I'm starting a last minute revision group on Kik so Kik me at stellarosewzw if interested!
Original post by AJ2104
General Predictions

Plenty of papers always start with atomic structure, so that is charges, location of sub-atomic particles, electronic configuration, mass of atoms, etc.

Most likely there will be equations that will need to be balanced, they are getting harder each year though.

AQA has started asking questions about topics such as emulsions and hardening of oils. You should know the structure of the emulsifier and the conditions for hardening. If you are every stuck when it comes to talking about conditions with anything to do on C1 just write down that it needs to be hot with a catalyst.

Looking at examiner reports, they often complain saying that students rarely answer bromine water questions correctly. The examiners love asking questions about topics that students will have no clue on (as we've seen in B1 already).

Displacement reactions might come up. Along with this a lot of practical experiment questions pop up in exams, so you should know how to work out the mean, spot anomalies, drawing graphs, predictions from data, lines of best fit, etc.

A lot of organic chemistry is likely to come up because of the amount of it that was on the course. For example, ethanol, how it is used, how it is produced, the problems with it; alkanes and alkenes and polymers as well. These were topics that examiners commented on in last year's report.

Potential 6 mark questions:

Anything to do with limestone, so quarrying, its production and the cycle of limestone. The reason for this is because it is not in the new specification so we will be one of the last years to be examined about this.

Polymers may appear because it is a big part of the new specification. So you need to know how to draw polymers, ethical issues to do with plastics, etc.

The Miller-Urey experiment hasn't come up in a long while either.

Thank you! What would be an ideal 6 mark answer on polymers and the limestone cycle, if you wouldn't mind I just couldn't answer those fully?

Original post by alyxgower
Thank you! What would be an ideal 6 mark answer on polymers and the limestone cycle, if you wouldn't mind I just couldn't answer those fully?

EVALUATE THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE ASPECTS OF QUARRYING FOR LIMESTONE. (6 marks)
Reply 33
Can't find from the spec, but do we have to learn every different substance produced from fractional distillation? (petrol, naptha, bitumen etc)
Or what exactly do we have to memorise from this topic?

All it says is "Candidates are not expected to know the names of specific alkanes other than methane, ethane andpropane."
but then
"Knowledge and understanding of the products of burning hydrocarbon fuels and the effects of theseproducts is limited to those named in the subjectcontent for this section."
Original post by lottixo
Can't find from the spec, but do we have to learn every different substance produced from fractional distillation? (petrol, naptha, bitumen etc)
Or what exactly do we have to memorise from this topic?

I don't think we have to learn every single fuel produced from fractional distillation

In Crude oil and fuels we need to know:
- the process of fractional distillation
- biofuels
- impact on environment when burning fuels
- the products of burning hydrocarbon fuels

In Useful Substances from Crude Oil we need to know:
- social, economic and environmental impacts of the uses, disposal and recycling of polymers
- advantages and disadvantages of making ethanol from renewable and non-renewable sources
- how ethanol is produced ( both hydrating and fermentation)
- how polymers are made
- uses of polymers
- pros and cons of polymers
- cracking
Original post by MissChameleon
I don't think we have to learn every single fuel produced from fractional distillation

In Crude oil and fuels we need to know:
- the process of fractional distillation
- biofuels
- impact on environment when burning fuels
- the products of burning hydrocarbon fuels

In Useful Substances from Crude Oil we need to know:
- social, economic and environmental impacts of the uses, disposal and recycling of polymers
- advantages and disadvantages of making ethanol from renewable and non-renewable sources
- how ethanol is produced ( both hydrating and fermentation)
- how polymers are made
- uses of polymers
- pros and cons of polymers
- cracking

does any one have the 2012 aka past paper june

How Punjabi grammar affects the ways that plastic bags can be made from polymers.
Basically, we're all screwed sorry to break it out. :u:
Original post by Butterflyshy
does any one have the 2012 aka past paper june

You know they're all available for download on the AQA website, yeah?
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/chemistry-4402/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
Original post by lottixo

The mark scheme for the 6 marker on fractional distillation gives zero credit for naming fractions, which bodes well for not needing to know them. I've found one past paper question that asks you to join up the uses of the fractions e.g. diesel to buses and lorries fuel, but it's ooold

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending