The Student Room Group

Head loss due to contraction

I was told that for loss of head at entrance , the degree of contaction depends on how thick the pipe walls is .
i really don't know the meaning , can someone clarify ? the author also stated that the loss coefficients will vary , for very thin tubes , k is very high ?
head loss = k (V^2) / 2g

as we can see , the head loss is affected by velocity of water , how can thickness of pipe affect the head loss?
K in the head loss equation above for a sudden contraction in a pipe is based on the ratio of the diameters of the two sections.

Are you sure someone said that the wall thickness has an effect on the head loss?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
K in the head loss equation above for a sudden contraction in a pipe is based on the ratio of the diameters of the two sections.

Are you sure someone said that the wall thickness has an effect on the head loss?

No, its from book, why is it so??

Sent from my C6502 using Tapatalk
In my book, the wall thickness of the pipe is not included as a factor as far as I have read.

It also depends on the type of contraction. A sudden pipe to pipe has a K factor that depends on the ratio of the diameters. A pipe that sticks out into a larger reservoir has a different factor depending on other dimensions - your book should provide more info.

Quick Reply

Latest