The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evadriscoll1
why wasnt a thermometer used instead of the other thing

Original post by dangerouswoman
I put 'more accurate' or 'more reliable results'. Something like that should get you the marks. Was it 1 or 2 marks? I can't remember

Likely to be to do with the fact that the data logger can keep continuous measurements rather than just taking isolated data points. They might also let you talk about it being digital and therefore more accurate. Won't let you have reliable because that's to do with the number of independent data points and you still only have one reading.
Original post by Megan1404
Wait - I just looked up the definition for it and it uses the word junction too. Will the examiners let me have this answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep junction is fine.
Original post by Cirsium
Junction is actually the word they use for gap in the spec. You'll be fine :biggrin::

Phew! Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, I hate Chemistry but Physics is okay for me. And thank you! What did you usually get in your RE mocks? If it's anything between A*-B you'll do fine, RE is pretty easy compared to science. You just use beliefs and teachings and try to justify it and stuff, it's not that bad really.

I usually get A*s in my mocks, my paper one exam was on monday and it was pretty easy. I feel like WJEC are too lazy to produce new questions, they repeat so many questions every year, i've done 50% of the questions that came up either in year 10 or in my mocks...
what grade do you think 30/60 would be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
why wasnt a thermometer used instead of the other thing

the other one was more accurate because it had digits x
Original post by z1820
Posted from TSR Mobile

Impossible to say. The first year of the new spec (on the Higher paper) it would get an A*. Most years it would get you a B. They move the grade boundaries every year according to how people do. So on last year's foundation paper, because it was so nice, you needed 40 marks for a C, where in previous years you've often only needed 36.
Reply 1046
Original post by z1820

Posted from TSR Mobile

last year it would have got you a low B
Original post by Megan1404
Wait - I just looked up the definition for it and it uses the word junction too. Will the examiners let me have this answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

a junction between two nerve cells, consisting of a minute gap across which impulses pass by diffusion of a neurotransmitter.

You just had to say a junction between two nerve cells (neurones), you guys were right don't panic
Original post by z1820

Posted from TSR Mobile

probably a C, but I got about 30 and hoping it will be a B x
Original post by z1820

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably a A or B. Last year 34 was needed for an A and 26 for a B. 36 was needed for an A in 2014, 28 for a B. So you're probably looking at either a high B or low A. But it depends if they lower the grade boundaries. Maybe check the predicted grade boundaries?
Original post by charliej2802
Anyone else get 0.67%???

I have been told that is right silly me thought it was 66.67%
too small of a sample size
Original post by thecomputernerd
the other one was more accurate because it had digits x

i put 'thermometer cant be read as it cant be seen inside the flask' and I'm not sure but think 1

One mark. I reckon they're gonna go for the data series, because you have digital thermometers, which would be just as accurate, and they specified the data logger.
Original post by z1820

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you do higher or foundation?
Reply 1054
Im worried i got the snails wrong
Original post by z1820

Posted from TSR Mobile

36/60 is usually an 'A'
20/20 i think is a 'C'
and a 'D' is 6/60

this is what i have heard from my teachers anyway...
Does anybody have any predictions for the Chemistry C1 exam on Thursday 19th May? I only have less than 2 days to revise and I'm already panicking after having done that terrible Biology exam. I heard Limestone and recycling metals might be the 6 marker but can't predict anything with AQA as they'll give you some random questions about drunk rats and snails...

General Predictions

Plenty of papers always start with atomic structure, so that is charges, location of sub-atomic particles, electronic configuration, mass of atoms, etc.

Most likely there will be equations that will need to be balanced, they are getting harder each year though.

AQA has started asking questions about topics such as emulsions and hardening of oils. You should know the structure of the emulsifier and the conditions for hardening. If you are every stuck when it comes to talking about conditions with anything to do on C1 just write down that it needs to be hot with a catalyst.

Looking at examiner reports, they often complain saying that students rarely answer bromine water questions correctly. The examiners love asking questions about topics that students will have no clue on (as we've seen in B1 already).

Displacement reactions might come up. Along with this a lot of practical experiment questions pop up in exams, so you should know how to work out the mean, spot anomalies, drawing graphs, predictions from data, lines of best fit, etc.

A lot of organic chemistry is likely to come up because of the amount of it that was on the course. For example, ethanol, how it is used, how it is produced, the problems with it; alkanes and alkenes and polymers as well. These were topics that examiners commented on in last year's report.

Potential 6 mark questions:

Anything to do with limestone, so quarrying, its production and the cycle of limestone. The reason for this is because it is not in the new specification so we will be one of the last years to be examined about this.

Polymers may appear because it is a big part of the new specification. So you need to know how to draw polymers, ethical issues to do with plastics, etc.

The Miller-Urey experiment hasn't come up in a long while either.
Original post by Benrb
Im worried i got the snails wrong

which question was that again?
Did you do higher or foundation?

higher, but if the grade boundaries do drop you should be secure with a high B
Missed out the calculation on the markscheme, The 0.67% of people that die from malaria.
Also, lichen can be used as an indicator of pollution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending