The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

I got 0.666% for the malaria question. It was 2,000,000 divided by 300,000,000 which is 0.006666. Then I multiplied by 100 which gave me 0.66%. Rounded up, that's 1 in one hundred people.
Original post by AhmarIT
YOU CAN QUOTE ME WITH THIS.

Since the 6 Marker was out of the spec, not on the spec. they are forced to take in any kind of result that is true. So DefinateLY Vitamin and other vitamins is correct. 101% Guaranteed.

And you can quote me on this... it's down to discretion. Your markers have to mark based on the mark scheme, and the mark scheme is firstly written based on the spec and then revised after the standardisation period. That's why there are so many things where you need to know the precise AQA wording, even when it's balls (e.g. a polymer is a LONG chain, even though any professional chemist will tell you that's not true).
Original post by Benrb
im pretty sure it asked for an animal though

There is a hot debate on weather it said animal or not...
Original post by Benrb
im pretty aure i got the snails wrong

I'm pretty sure I got it all wrong dw
Reply 1084
In the six mark question, i only talked about fibre, protein, carbs,fats, and vitamins... And what thry do obvs... How many marks would that be?
Original post by MCOD1999
Glad I'm not the only one who put that, no one ik put that so I started to doubt myself, hopefully it will be on the mark scheme :biggrin:

I even gave the example of oranges :colone: Thought that was pushing it, but I knew I had to put my blood, sweat and tears into that 6 marker otherwise I wasn't going to pass
Original post by Cirsium
Nah I'm sure you'll be fine. Not too many easy-easy ticky box questions on this paper so I'm expecting a fairly low D grade boundary.
21 marks of C and D grade content (i.e. joint questions Foundation to Higher) so there's no way they can expect you to get all of that to get a D if that makes sense

aw, thanks!
Original post by AhmarIT
There is a hot debate on weather it said animal or not...

If people come out of the exam saying it said animal, it probably said animal. Why (and how) would people form many different schools make something like that up?
Original post by Linrose
where did you find the mark scheme?
thanks

The hyperlink to the mark scheme is on page 1, so if you skip there it would be the first post.
Thanks!
Original post by ThomasMcBride
I got 0.666% for the malaria question. It was 2,000,000 divided by 300,000,000 which is 0.006666. Then I multiplied by 100 which gave me 0.66%. Rounded up, that's 1 in one hundred people.

i got the same don't worry
Original post by Cirsium
And you can quote me on this... it's down to discretion. Your markers have to mark based on the mark scheme, and the mark scheme is firstly written based on the spec and then revised after the standardisation period. That's why there are so many things where you need to know the precise AQA wording, even when it's balls (e.g. a polymer is a LONG chain, even though any professional chemist will tell you that's not true).

"and the mark scheme is firstly written based on the spec"

The knowledge needed, even if it is logical and easy which it is, for the 6 mark question was not required to know according to the spec. Therefore i doubt that rule applies for this articular case. If not it may be in the Accept column knoledge.
Reply 1091
Im gonna ask my teacher to look at the paper tomorrow and see what the animal/indicator species thing is bc i am confuseddd
Original post by F.SA
In the six mark question, i only talked about fibre, protein, carbs,fats, and vitamins... And what thry do obvs... How many marks would that be?

So for the 6 marker the marking is a bit complicated. It's split into levels and you have to do everything in one level to get the next level. So if you just listed 6 components of a diet you wouldn't be able to get all the credit. Without seeing the mark scheme I'm gonna predict a max of 3 marks for naming things and then 3 marks for jobs (so 1 for protein and 1 for growth and repair). You've listed the big 3 there (PCF) so now it's down to how well you explained what they're for :biggrin::
Original post by zeldor711
If people come out of the exam saying it said animal, it probably said animal. Why (and how) would people form many different schools make something like that up?

what is this all about?
Anyone got a guess at what the grade boundaries for an a* could be?
Original post by AhmarIT
"and the mark scheme is firstly written based on the spec"

The knowledge needed, even if it is logical and easy which it is, for the 6 mark question was not required to know according to the spec. Therefore i doubt that rule applies for this articular case. If not it may be in the Accept column knoledge.

AQA BIOLOGY SPEC

A healthy diet contains the right balance of the
different foods you need and the right amount
of energy. Carbohydrates, fats and proteins are
used by the body to release energy and to build
cells. Mineral ions and vitamins are needed in
small amounts for healthy functioning of the body.

A person is malnourished if their diet is not
balanced. This may lead to a person being
overweight or underweight. An unbalanced diet
may also lead to deficiency diseases or conditions
such as Type 2 diabetes.

I'm absolutely with you that it will probably end up in the Accept column, I'm just saying you can't count on it.
Some of the marks you allocated on this are wrong
Original post by EmmaC.
what is this all about?

The last question on the higher paper (about indicator species) had to be about an animal, not a plant like lichen. I didn't read the question properly and missed it
Original post by InneRs
Same. I'm reassured.

teacher told me it was 0.6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending