The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
To be honest, I think Keane would be their best bet. They need somebody to rally the fanbase and create a siege mentality, now that Rangers are re-joining them in the top flight.

Moyes and Rodgers? It'd be a backward step for both of them, to be honest.

Rodgers is in talks with Celtic. Might be a better economic option as Keane, as manager, likes to spend the cash and that won't be in massive supply at Parkhead and Rodgers might work easier within restrictions. But yes, Keane would have been good viewing as boss.
Original post by Aky786UK
Rodgers is in talks with Celtic. Might be a better economic option as Keane, as manager, likes to spend the cash and that won't be in massive supply at Parkhead and Rodgers might work easier within restrictions. But yes, Keane would have been good viewing as boss.

See, that surprises me. Is it really a challenge for somebody like Rodgers? As much as his tenure at Liverpool disappointed towards the end, I think there's a top coach in there.

Celtic are undoubtedly a big club, and he may see this as a good way to get confidence back before moving back to the PL or even Europe.

It's an uninspiring league, though.
Original post by Mackay
See, that surprises me. Is it really a challenge for somebody like Rodgers? As much as his tenure at Liverpool disappointed towards the end, I think there's a top coach in there.

Celtic are undoubtedly a big club, and he may see this as a good way to get confidence back before moving back to the PL or even Europe.

I can't think of many managers who were at Celtic and then went on to have decent careers? The last one maybe being Martin O'Neil, even if he is a gobshite.
Celtic just appear to have this aura about them and if they come knocking I suspect most people would jump at the chance to spend some time managing there.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Celtic just appear to have this aura about them and if they come knocking I suspect most people would jump at the chance to spend some time managing there.

I imagine most managers of the Northern Irish or Scottish variant are happy to manage Celtic if they have nothing better to do. If they had any offer from any club in any semi-decent league then they wouldn't be arsed going to a backwater league, oh except for the money for guaranteeing to win a tin pot trophy that I imagine the likes of Tranmere would have a decent go at winning.
Rodgers has an emotional connection to Celtic, so it's no surprise he's taken the job once offered it. His biggest challenge is getting Celtic in the group stage of the CL, to be honest.
I'm more surprised that Joey Barton has gone to Rangers over negotiating a deal with Burnley. I thought he'd love to play in the PL again, and assumed him talking to Rangers was to force Burnley's hand in sorting a contract but seems willing to go up north.
Barton has been very pro-Celtic in tweets in the past. They're being dug up and retweeted tonight. Be interesting to see how that affects his relationship with the Ibrox crowd.
I think he will, naturally, get stick from the Celtic fans but his fans will get behind him. Scott Brown seems to have been a Rangers fan as a kid so wouldn't think its a massive issue. Rangers v Celtic shaping up nicely enough for me to take an interest in their games next season

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK
I think he will, naturally, get stick from the Celtic fans but his fans will get behind him. Scott Brown seems to have been a Rangers fan as a kid so wouldn't think its a massive issue. Rangers v Celtic shaping up nicely enough for me to take an interest in their games next season

Posted from TSR Mobile

For such a fierce rivalry, there've been quite a few instances of players crossing the divide in the 2000s: Miller, Pressley, Mark Brown.
Time to reignite this dusty, old thread!

Is this the best ever Eredivisie XI? Would you change anyone from here?

[video="youtube;NRnZt6_0yDc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnZt6_0yDc&t=161s[/video]
Original post by Mackay

Obviously not a challenge since Rodgers has 73 (from a possible 75) points so far..
Patrick Kluiverts son looks like turning out every bit as good as he did.
It feels like the right time to bring this thread back up...

After four long seasons without winning the league, Porto were crowned Champions of Portugal yesterday.

Benfica have been dominant over the past few seasons and with Porto unable to buy any players due to the UEFA Financial Fair Play meant we had to make do with what we had...which I didn't expect to be good enough to win the league. Somehow Sergio Conceicao managed to get something out of players like Marega, Sergio Oliveira and Ricardo Pereira to help us to win the league.

There's even a good chance Benfica might miss out on Champions League football next season too, that all goes down to the final game next week, a very bad season for them.
Original post by ra-ra-ra

After four long seasons without winning the league, Porto were crowned Champions of Portugal yesterday.

Benfica have been dominant over the past few seasons and with Porto unable to buy any players due to the UEFA Financial Fair Play meant we had to make do with what we had...which I didn't expect to be good enough to win the league. Somehow Sergio Conceicao managed to get something out of players like Marega, Sergio Oliveira and Ricardo Pereira to help us to win the league.

There's even a good chance Benfica might miss out on Champions League football next season too, that all goes down to the final game next week, a very bad season for them.

I am surprised this thread went quiet with so much interest in the European Leagues.

Have the FFP restrictions expired for Porto now? Can they build on this squad? They didn't look great against Liverpool tbh.

Original post by Rock Fan
I am surprised this thread went quiet with so much interest in the European Leagues.

ra-ra-ra was always our resident European expert so when she disappeared, so too did this thread to a degree.
Original post by Zerforax
Have the FFP restrictions expired for Porto now? Can they build on this squad? They didn't look great against Liverpool tbh.

ra-ra-ra was always our resident European expert so when she disappeared, so too did this thread to a degree.

Not really no, we have a couple more seasons of this.

We had debts of €116m on operational costs so we're having to sell a lot more than we can buy. We need to limit our losses by a certain amount each year so by the 2020-2021 financial year we should break-even.

We're limited to how many players we can select for when we play in Europe too. So this season we could only select a squad of 22 and then the 2018-2019 season it'll be 23.

If we don't meet the certain criterias and if we exceed our spending limit, then we'll face a further fine of around €1.5m. So a few more tough years ahead really.

That's why players like Ruben Neves and Andre Silva had no choice to leave when they did and didn't have much choice where they were going either. We just had to get rid asap so we could avoid an actual transfer ban, at the moment we're just very limited as to what we can spend. Whilst it has worked out great for Ruben Neves (€16m was an absolute steal for Wolves btw!), it has been the worst possible move for Andre Silva. Not only has it delayed his potential it's a blow for Portugal in the WC. Fernando Santos is going to call him up regardless of his form for Milan, but it's the worst possible form heading into the WC. The only plus is his form for Portugal he is a lot better than he has been a Milan. I don't think he even wanted to leave Porto that early into his career but he was one of our best options to claw some money back so had to get rid.

So yeah, basically the short answer would have been to not expect much from us in Europe again next season... But you got an essay instead, sorry!

There were a couple other European Football fans on this site so it is a shame this thread died really. I'm still a huge European football fan and still have an interest in South American football too, not much has changed!
(edited 5 years ago)
Not really no, we have a couple more seasons of this.

We had debts of €116m on operational costs so we're having to sell a lot more than we can buy. We need to limit our losses by a certain amount each year so by the 2020-2021 financial year we should break-even.

We're limited to how many players we can select for when we play in Europe too. So this season we could only select a squad of 22 and then the 2018-2019 season it'll be 23.

If we don't meet the certain criterias and if we exceed our spending limit, then we'll face a further fine of around €1.5m. So a few more tough years ahead really.

That's why players like Ruben Neves and Andre Silva had no choice to leave when they did and didn't have much choice where they were going either. We just had to get rid asap so we could avoid an actual transfer ban, at the moment we're just very limited as to what we can spend. Whilst it has worked out great for Ruben Neves (€16m was an absolute steal for Wolves btw!), it has been the worst possible move for Andre Silva. Not only has it delayed his potential it's a blow for Portugal in the WC. Fernando Santos is going to call him up regardless of his form for Milan, but it's the worst possible form heading into the WC. The only plus is his form for Portugal he is a lot better than he has been a Milan. I don't think he even wanted to leave Porto that early into his career but he was one of our best options to claw some money back so had to get rid.

So yeah, basically the short answer would have been to not expect much from us in Europe again next season... But you got an essay instead, sorry!

There were a couple other European Football fans on this site so it is a shame this thread died really. I'm still a huge European football fan and still have an interest in South American football too, not much has changed!

Really interesting to hear. I hadn't appreciated it was so bad at Porto. Not seen anything in the main stream media about it (although maybe I missed it).

After winning the league title this year, any new saleable assets this summer?
I have quite enjoyed watching the Dutch League
Original post by Zerforax
Really interesting to hear. I hadn't appreciated it was so bad at Porto. Not seen anything in the main stream media about it (although maybe I missed it).

After winning the league title this year, any new saleable assets this summer?

I think if Danilo wasn't injured then he would have been top of my list to leave this summer. He was injured just before the Liverpool game for a month so it ruled him out of both legs, and he was a hell of a miss for us. Then we rushed him back and he ended up rupturing his achilles tendon. So he's out until the beginning of next season at least. So it's whether someone wants to take a risk and buy him whilst injured... probably not!

Brahimi would be second on my list but at 28 he isn't going to be on everyones to buy list anymore. Seems to be linked to Everton often and I have seen Newcastles name thrown around, so now he attracts that sort of team rather than the top 4 in the PL type of team.

Due to having to "make do" with the players we have because of our situation, it has meant Ricardo Pereira has benefited from it. Normally we send him out on loan but he's had a run of games and had a really good season, so I see him going.

So in terms of our first team I say we only have a handful of players who would be decent buys, but I think many will look into our youth. They seem to be picking up the headlines, especially as they beat Arsenal in the final the other day to win the Premier League International Cup for the second year running. Players like Diogo Dalot (but he is currently injured for a few months), Diogo Leite, Diogo Queiros... all seen to be gaining more attention than the first team!

Quick Reply

Latest