The Student Room Group

GCSE CORE SCIENCE B1 C1 P1 Exams 2016 {OFFICIAL THREAD} EDEXCEL ONLY

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blizza15
Thank you sooooo much have you got any tips for revising chemistry as i only acheived a c in a mock also do have any predictions for 6 markers this year

Use past papers! They're very helpful, I'd also try and create mnemonics for the more complex things to remember i.e - fractional distillation etc.

Otherwise, just try and condense the information as much as you can. Then, keep writing it out over and over again until you remember it!

Past papers and Mark schemes are my best friend though!

Potential six markers for this year in my opinion could be:

Problems with disposing of polymers
Rock formation
Original post by tmason1
Im pretty sure it came up in 2014 :smile: You too! let me know how you get on haha.

How did you find it? I found that it was extremely easy so I'm slightly worried. I heard the AQA students had it tough though!
Original post by L0st45
There's always a question on pollution - whether's there's one whole question dedicated to pollution or whether it's just a sub-question, either way that comes up every year (they tend to ask about eutrophication a lot.)

Classification didn't come up last year - neither did plant hormones or phototropism. Diabetes may come up? Homeostasis is another very common question on exams, again whether it be a small sub-question or a stem question.

You seem to be REALLY good at predicting... I mean most of those things did actually come up; any predictions for chemistry on Thursday? :tongue:
Original post by Akramrahman
I know the malaria one wason the 2014 paper but we were talking about the sickle cell and malaria question.

yea, realised my mistake :colone: What did you write about it? I put about genes and how people with sickle cell were less prone to getting malaria? which allowed the to have higher chance of survival till adulthood meaning they passed their gene down?

Um, is someone doing an unofficial mark scheme? cause i want to know what i got wrong :s-smilie:
Original post by TSlayerr
If its 75%, I'm not going to read any more answers because its going to make me feel more depressed :frown:

Pretty sure it was 50%...
Original post by jihadi_john
wtf was that bs first six marker

First six marker was on the nitrogen cycle? It was quite basic, but thats probably because I predicted that it will come up so I spent 3 hours revising it because i didnt understand it :biggrin:
Original post by Unicornstar8
I wrote about the pancreas secreting insulin which travels through the blood converting glucose into glycogen which is stored in the liver and this reduces blood glucose concentration and it's a negative feedback

i got my hormones mixed up and wrote glucagon instead of insulin
any thoughts on todays B1 paper?

personally, I think it was a lot easier than made out to be; everything I had a clue on was on there!
Original post by SophieTurner13
any thoughts on todays B1 paper?

personally, I think it was a lot easier than made out to be; everything I had a clue on was on there!

It was harder than last years
What do you guys believe the 6 markers will be for chemistry and physics?

I disagree, I sat last years paper and got an A in Biology but got a B overall so I am retaking this year and I actually thought this exam was easier. You could guess the answers on this years paper if you were unsure but last year there were some questions that weren't in the syllabus and you couldn't just guess at ie. Explain why a man with cystic fibrosis may be infertile. But thats just my opinion.
It was 50%
I would really appreciate if someone could help me, as I am quite anxious. People said it was easy blah blah blah (edexcel higher) but im not too sure.

I got the uses of plant hormones wrong for commericial, i think i got some of the blood glucose one wrong, the calculation wrong- about the height of plants, and i think i got only one mark on the malaria. Everything else I am certain i got right. So what grade do u think I got? I know it hard to predict but still.
Reply 173
Original post by Taran001
I would like some advice too please

The best thing is to go onto youtube and search this channel up: 'StudySmart'. It's a guy that gives 7-15 min tutorials on each topic and explains everything you need to know for both AQA and EDEXCEL. I made notes whilst watching his videos and found today's B1 really easy. However i suggest you watch the videos on the topics you find difficult as there are so many and I'm not sure you'll be able to get through all of them- if you can then watch all.
Original post by wahedi01
I would really appreciate if someone could help me, as I am quite anxious. People said it was easy blah blah blah (edexcel higher) but im not too sure.

I got the uses of plant hormones wrong for commericial, i think i got some of the blood glucose one wrong, the calculation wrong- about the height of plants, and i think i got only one mark on the malaria. Everything else I am certain i got right. So what grade do u think I got? I know it hard to predict but still.

can someone help pls
Reply 175
can someone help pls

The best thing is to go onto youtube and search this channel up: 'StudySmart'. It's a guy that gives 7-15 min tutorials on each topic and explains everything you need to know for both AQA and EDEXCEL. I made notes whilst watching his videos and found today's B1 really easy. However i suggest you watch the videos on the topics you find difficult as there are so many and I'm not sure you'll be able to get through all of them- if you can then watch all.
Anyone else think disposing polymers will come up as the 6 marker for C1?
Reply 177
can someone help pls

Mate i had the same problem i nailed all the past papers and when it came to the exam i flopped i think you'd get a B min
Reply 178
Original post by viperimz
Anyone else think disposing polymers will come up as the 6 marker for C1?

Possibly I hope its Electrolysis.
I think it will have something to do with polymers or maybe calcium cycle
Edexcel loves to give suprises
Reply 179

My prediction for B1 grade boundaries
A*= 49
A=44
B= 36

Quick Reply

Latest