The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AhmarIT
What was the newsflash?
forgot lol
Original post by Haashym
The indicator species answer was lichens and the environmental factor was air pollution

GM Mosquito - enzymes used to take out gene (first mark) the gene is transferred to the mosquito (second mark) at an early stage of development (third mark)

Scatter graph used to show the negative correlation

I put that too, the indicator species, is it right?
Reply 1182
Original post by Tompicko22
Can anyone tell me what they put for the question about decaying grass and carbon dioxide? :s-smilie: I literally said the decaying grass releases carbon that gets trapped inside of the vacuum flask.

The grass is decayed by micro organisms which respire, releasing co2
for the malaria one it should be 0.66%, if you look up how many cases there were and how many actually died from malaria there were something like 200million cases and only a couple of hundred thousand deaths so 15% is really unlikely
Original post by Tompicko22
Can anyone tell me what they put for the question about decaying grass and carbon dioxide? :s-smilie: I literally said the decaying grass releases carbon that gets trapped inside of the vacuum flask.

Assuming it's a similar mark scheme to last year's one about decay:
Mark for mentioning decomposers (or same marking point for fungi or bacteria)
Mark for saying they're decaying the grass
Mark for saying that they're doing respiration in there
What was the answers to the horse legs one and the question that had 3 statements and you had to say why the first statement was wrong???
Original post by mxn
44 is the average if you combine all the grade boundaries but since this one was hard i would say 42 for A*? If they lower them it wouldn't be lower than 39 if they choose to keep them average i feel like it will be 45 maximum (for A*).

What do you think an A and a B would be?
Original post by Ashleybendal
I put that too, the indicator species, is it right?

Question specified an animal, so sadly not.
What was the answers to the horse legs one and the question that had 3 statements and you had to say why the first statement was wrong??
Reply 1189
Original post by SSC1068
Anyone know that feeling when the paper is really hard except for that 6 marker but your the only guy that misreads the question and writes about homeostasis ? No? Ah guess its just me

you are not the only one 😂 I did the same thing !! arrgh I am feeling so stupid rn, like I lost 6 marks so easily.
Original post by Cassandra3099
but isnt that an insect and not an animal? thats why i put lichens eventhough they are not animals.. im so confused there are no animal indicators.. just things like lichens and tubifex worms

There are invertebrates

Posted from TSR Mobile
7. Not all boys drink because not one bar is full 100% and some boys who drank beer could have also contributed to the other bars. Also the sample of students is too small would probably get a mark
9. Using the digital one would also be easier to analyse the results and plot it on a graph or put it into a table
23. Command word to get the mark would probably refer to 'surface area'
Original post by lou2471
What was the answers to the horse legs one and the question that had 3 statements and you had to say why the first statement was wrong???

foundation right?
Did anybody write about Lichen being a pollution indicator for SO2 on the final question?
Original post by Cirsium
Question specified an animal, so sadly not.

For animal i put invertebrates and water pollution
For the how are the horses feet well adapted or w/e, i put that they can still run fast even in swampy, muddy areas away from predators

I also put on the snail and the thrush question that less energy is lost since snails move slowly which means less energy is lost in respiration through movement..

Did anyone else write these? :frown:
Why are lots of people saying that the last question asked for an animal that can be used to measure pollution or whatever. I didn't see that at all, maybe I'm wrong but it seems loads of people put lichen while others are saying it asked for another animal.
for Q9 would you get the mark for saying more precise?
Original post by haarithiop
Why are lots of people saying that the last question asked for an animal that can be used to measure pollution or whatever. I didn't see that at all, maybe I'm wrong but it seems loads of people put lichen while others are saying it asked for another animal.

7ci specified an animal and an environmental factor
7cii said give one other way of measuring this environmental factor
Original post by charliej2802
The Calc was: (2,000,000/300,000,000) x 100?
Gave me 0.666666666% so 0.67%

How many marks was it worth?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending