The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaspooni18
even though this test was quite hard we should still happy that we didn't do the aqa exam.

So true omg
Reply 321
Original post by JumpinJack_Flash
That exam was so weirrrrd 🙄🙄😥😥😥 could not have predicted anything about neanderthals and that twins question completely threw me off 😂😂 it wasn't even as if the content was particularly difficult as well

Honestly I think half the questions in the biology exam were plain stupid.
If you haven't done so already, divert to the chemistry thread

the link is as follows:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4093597
Original post by Dave50
What was it for the question on percentages where it says he has 83% chance of getting breast cancer
was it a trick question or not

Wasn't it 87%? I mean hopefully you just made a number up here but I remember putting 0.87 as my answer :s-smilie:
Original post by Ella_08
Did anyone use the spare page on the back of the paper? I used it. For some reason I think the examiner will forget to mark the back :/

I used every line. I write a lot :tongue:
Original post by NiamhM1801

For the last question on the paper, I actually used the extra sheet because I worded the answer weird. :colondollar:
But all in all, I thought it was an alright paper.
Original post by m.zed28
I know what you mean. I tried so hard learning the nitrogen cycle but nothing like that came up. They were mainly ethical questions.

I wasn't really expecting the nitrogen cycle because a 6mq came up in 2015 , but I revised it just in case.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
For the last question on the paper, I actually used the extra sheet because I worded the answer weird. :colondollar:
But all in all, I thought it was an alright paper.

The last question I only answered it half as I didn't understand it at all so I was just trying to ramble some lies and scrape a mark - I think it worked though as I remember writing "because the genes are very similar to the DNA of A which shows that" but that was it and I'm praying id get one mark for it but I might be being a bit cheeky :colondollar:

Me too, I'm a lot more confident after reading other people's answers too! :smile:
Omg I just came across this page as soon as I finish the exam. I found it easier than any other practice papers I've ever done! The one that I didn't get was the probability one where the girl had a 87% of developing cancer. What did you guys put?
Original post by NiamhM1801

Wow!! Great achievement :biggrin: I used half of it. Welcome to the 'write a lot' squad :flip:
Original post by fowfows
Omg I just came across this page as soon as I finish the exam. I found it easier than any other practice papers I've ever done! The one that I didn't get was the probability one where the girl had a 87% of developing cancer. What did you guys put?
The probability was 0.87. :smile:
Reply 331
Original post by fowfows

Really? You must be really clever then. Most of us found it pretty hard as it was mostal questions. The answer to that was 0.87.
Reply 332
What was the answer to the questions where it asked about what Jane needs to think about before she has surgery?
She needs to thinks about the risks and benefits of the major surgery and also the risks and benefits of not having major surgery. Also she would need to asses the predicted effectiveness of the surgery aswell 😎😎
Original post by m.zed28
Really? You must be really clever then. Most of us found it pretty hard as it was mostal questions. The answer to that was 0.87.

Would 87% or 87/100 count as well seeing as probability can be any of these ( fraction decimal or percentage)
Reply 335
Original post by m.zed28
What was the answer to the questions where it asked about what Jane needs to think about before she has surgery?

i put she could try and reduce the factors of developing cancer first and she needs to consider the consequences of having surgery compared to consequences of cancer and something about benefits outweighing risk
no idea if anyone of that is right:|
Original post by m.zed28

I don't know if this is right but i put:
1- Whether the benefits of the reduced cancer risk outweigh the risks of the surgery
2- Whether the risk of developing cancer is large enough to make having the surgery worthwhile (although I can't remember if I changed this or not)
3- Whether she is healthy enough to undergo the surgery, including the chance of her being pregnant
Can someone explain to me what the Neanderthal questions were becuase I have forgot them and I think I did them wrong anyway??
I did the paper in yr10 and got an A
Im sure you lot will do just fine, i still remember those units back to front which had proved entirely annoying
Reply 339
Original post by Lilyhollowayd
Can someone explain to me what the Neanderthal questions were becuase I have forgot them and I think I did them wrong anyway??

There was one about two doctors and their different views on the teeth of the Neanderthals. One doctor thought the Neanderthals ate only herbs and vegetables because it was healthy another doctor thought it ate deers which ate herbs and vegetables. The question was suggest why the doctors thought this.

There was a 6 mark question that said why the Neanderthals became extinct.

There was another 3 mark question asking something about the food chain. But I can't remember

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending