The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krollo
Just got a 74/75 on Jan 16R in about 55 mins. Quite happy for tomorrow, just need to watch silly errors.

(Then again, just need to average 85 in any two of the seven A2 modules I'm doing, so not overly worried :-P)

Whoa? IIRC you'd done maths AL and AS FM?
Reply 781
Original post by Imperion
Wow, mega prepared! Just did 01 - 04 of those and then just got lazy :laugh: Are the higher ones harder?

Didn't feel like it got harder as they go up
Original post by Nerrad
Didn't feel like it got harder as they go up

Fair enough. It's already knocking here so not too fussed. Thanks
Original post by Krollo
Just got a 74/75 on Jan 16R in about 55 mins. Quite happy for tomorrow, just need to watch silly errors.

(Then again, just need to average 85 in any two of the seven A2 modules I'm doing, so not overly worried :-P)

Shame i gt 75 im beta at mechanics then u.
Yeh mistakes are literally the only thing that can get me in M3 tbh, the circular motion suvats are the only places i tend to make them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remember to go to bed at a sensible time. You've got to be able to think tomorrow.
Original post by Imperion
Whoa? IIRC you'd done maths AL and AS FM?

Nah, it's just the way my marks worked out.

Last year, I did C1-4, S1, M1-2, with all but M2 forming my Maths AL.

However, I got a 100 in M2 - and since it counts as an A2 module, it's perfectly good for one of the Further Maths A2 units. For the FM A*, I believe you need an average of 90 in your three best A2 modules. The 100 in M2 brings this down to an effective 85 (plus an average of 70 in any three other modules, give or take), pending some slight shuffling with respect to what goes where.

I just worked out for the kicks - if I'm very careful about what I do in what modules, I can meet by Cambridge offer (on A-Levels anyway) with an average of 31 UMS in across all my maths modules :-)
Original post by tiny hobbit
Remember to go to bed at a sensible time. You've got to be able to think tomorrow.

I shall go to bed now.
Good luck 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 787

Haha I'm halfway into going through all the mistakes I've made in the past papers I've done in the past. I guess I should stop here and go to sleep.
Original post by Krollo
Nah, it's just the way my marks worked out.

Last year, I did C1-4, S1, M1-2, with all but M2 forming my Maths AL.

However, I got a 100 in M2 - and since it counts as an A2 module, it's perfectly good for one of the Further Maths A2 units. For the FM A*, I believe you need an average of 90 in your three best A2 modules. The 100 in M2 brings this down to an effective 85 (plus an average of 70 in any three other modules, give or take), pending some slight shuffling with respect to what goes where.

I just worked out for the kicks - if I'm very careful about what I do in what modules, I can meet by Cambridge offer (on A-Levels anyway) with an average of 31 UMS in across all my maths modules :-)

Ah, now I get it! This sounds dope, all the best in your exams! :biggrin:
Original post by fizzing
What proofs are we required to know for m3?

all of the geometrical shape centres

triangular lamina
circle / sector of circle
cone
hemispherical shell

It's just past 12 here :tongue: Does this count as a good time? :laugh:
Good luck tomorrow, you crazy M3ers.
does anyone have the link to the m3 ial paper and mark scheme for january 2016?
For part b in the attached question, why do you have to set TB>0 and not TA>0 to show what they are asking?
Original post by paradoxequation
For part b in the attached question, why do you have to set TB>0 and not TA>0 to show what they are asking?

TA is always greater than TB as it supports the weight as well the circular motion. Thus, saying TA > 0 is not sufficient as you might very well have TB = 0 while still TA > 0. Remember that if any of the two tensions go to zero, the shape of the setup changes as the lengths change. Thus both must be kept taut, and only TB > 0 will guarantee that.
Original post by paradoxequation

TA is always greater then zero since the mass is attatched to the bottom it always remains taut. The bottom however is not always hence we need omega to only take sufficiently large values.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oShahpo
TA is always greater than TB as it supports the weight as well the circular motion. Thus, saying TA > 0 is not sufficient as you might very well have TB = 0 while still TA > 0. Remember that if any of the two tensions go to zero, the shape of the setup changes as the lengths change. Thus both must be kept taut, and only TB > 0 will guarantee that.

Original post by physicsmaths
TA is always greater then zero since the mass is attatched to the bottom it always remains taut. The bottom however is not always hence we need omega to only take sufficiently large values.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, I get it now. :biggrin:
I just hope I don't make very stupid mistakes that will cost me my grades (+_+)
Gn guys, cya y'all after what might be hell...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending