The Student Room Group

Can I get an A* in English Lit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bulletzone
What Exam board are you doing?

AQA:s-smilie:
Okay time to do some Maths before carrying on revision til 2am:

To begin, In general you will need 90%+ of everything to get an A*

I assume you have only done 1 Controlled assessment which means you took route A which is:
Unit 1 + Unit 2 + Unit 3

This means you're doing 2 Written Exams and 1 Controlled assessment right?
Anyways:
You say you got 22/40
Based on Last years grade boundaries that would get you a C (sorry).

I'm not finished!

22/40 to percentage is 55% which means 55% of the amount of percentage for this is ur C.A
Basically, Unit 3 is 25% of the Overall GCSE which means you've got:

13.75% or 14% of that GCSE (because 55% of 25 = 13.75).

90-14 = 76% which means you have to get a total of 76% or more for an A*

Sadly, even if you got Full marks in both of the Exams, You would need an extra 1% for an A*

Don't let my calculations affect you, You're Controlled Assessment may go up or something, or if you feel that you're Controlled Assessment was marked unfairly, tell your parents or contact the AQA directly.
Good Luck
Bulletzone :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
As long as you put in the effort and work hard then you can achieve it, ill be sitting the same paper just makes sure you explain why you chose those quotes, what they show and make sure you relate it all back to the question!! Good Luck, you'll smash it!! 😊
I'm in the same position, my teacher was a harsh marker too. I was disappointed with 31 so I feel for you :frown:. If you get an A* in the exam, you can still get an A* overall, or at least an A. Good luck :smile:
Original post by TRAnders
The reason why the teachers are being so harsh is because a sample of coursework (say 10 people per year) will be sent of to the exam board. They will then moderate the coursework and then decide whether it has been appropriately marked. I know with some exam boards like OCR they will drop an entire year group within a school a grade if the marking has been too generous or even bump every one up within the school if the marking has been to strict.

This happened at my school last year for P.E. The exam board thought that the teachers had marked the coursework too nicely and subsequently every single person dropped 10 marks which then caused everyone to get a grade lower than they were predicted :frown: On the positive side, at least it was only P.E and not a major subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
My teacher hates me and marked my coursework really strictly, I got 24/40 😭😭 Im gonna have to have lots of luck If i want an A in lit (which i doubt ill get)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume you have only done 1 Controlled assessment which means you took route A which is:
Unit 1 + Unit 2 + Unit 3

Anyways:
You say you got 22/40

I'm not finished!

22/40 to percentage is 55% which means 55% of the amount of percentage for this is ur C.A

Sadly, even if you got Full marks in both of the Exams, You would need an extra 1% for an A*

Don't let my calculations affect you, You're Controlled Assessment may go up or something, or if you feel that you're Controlled Assessment was marked unfairly, tell your parents or contact the AQA directly.
Good Luck

Hi there bulletzone what are you predicated for maths any suggestions for maths to get an A* thanks
You're already in the top set so don't worry. Just to make sure that you will score those high-pointers...
- Plan (Some people are afraid that they will lose time but just do it; it helps)
- PEEL (Point, Evidence, Evaluation, Link)
- Don't panic if you do not understand the Poem... try to carefully look at each words from the bottom to top (works like a jigsaw trust me i always do it)

Good luck :borat:
Original post by Shareshah2014
Hi there bulletzone what are you predicated for maths any suggestions for maths to get an A* thanks

Hello!

As for my Maths GCSE, I'm predicted an A* and the worst case scenario would be an A.
I have always literally always been 1-3 marks off an A*, since I make silly mistakes.

-Understand every detail of Maths
-Look at Graphs of Expotential functions, they have never come up but AQA are soo unpredictable.
-Past papers are the Key to Success.
-Do not stress if a question looks complicated.
-Always Always Always thoroughly double-check.
-Work on your weaknesses.
Original post by ksj.11
My teacher hates me and marked my coursework really strictly, I got 24/40 😭😭 Im gonna have to have lots of luck If i want an A in lit (which i doubt ill get)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same. We have a week left and I still don't feel confident that I can get an A. :frown:
Reply 30
Original post by V ugvg jhi
Your teacher isnt a harsh marker, stop making excuses. (coming from someone who got 39/40)

Do you think you feel better now after that slightly egotisitical comment?

(Coming from someone who thinks you're an ass)

No one gives a single **** :smile:
We havent been taught how to structure it
I'm doing edxecel

Unit 1 + Unit 2 + Unit 3

Anyways:
You say you got 22/40

I'm not finished!

Good Luck

I'm kind of in the same position as OP but my CA is 25/40 and I also do AQA.
Would you be able to use those amazing calculation skills of yours to decide what I would need out of each paper to get an A overall?:smile:
Original post by fishandrice
I'm kind of in the same position as OP but my CA is 25/40 and I also do AQA.
Would you be able to use those amazing calculation skills of yours to decide what I would need out of each paper to get an A overall?:smile:

I'm going to bed now, if you PM me I can leave you a response after my exam.
Reply 35
You'll have to nail the exam. Literally. As long as you get a C/B you should be fine really, I don't believe English Literature is the be-all and end-all. You'll be fine! I did that exam last year and it was horrid... Purely because I hate literature however I got an A* in language! Best of luck once more :smile:!
Original post by MeerabBieber
I dont know why they're being so harsh. Like we got this grade so why cant you just let it go? Do you like torturing kids?

I don't even know to be honest. Let's just hope for the best and pray that we get those grades.

Do you know that it is all moderated by AQA?
Stage 1 your teacher looks at your work
stage 2 another teacher looks at your work ( and signs to say they agree/ disagree)
stage 3 another teacher looks at your work ( and signs to say they agree/ disagree with teacher 1 and 2 )
stage 4 your school send of all the marks awarded to AQA
stage 5 AQA take some of the best marks some of the middle marks and definitely some of the bottom marks.
so what you are saying is that teacher 1 2 3 and AQA are all harsh markers ?
no dear, thats just called standards
Original post by Gunjo
Do you think you feel better now after that slightly egotisitical comment?

(Coming from someone who thinks you're an ass)

No one gives a single **** :smile:

I feel just as good as i did when i got A*'s on my early GCSE's.
Original post by TRAnders
Im doing CIE IGCSE and studying all my sons, I'm the king of the castle and a collection of modern and classical poems :P

Those are what I'm doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by V ugvg jhi
I feel just as good as i did when i got A*'s on my early GCSE's.

I did as well? No one cares though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending