The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by Haashym

Nope it was 0.6 recuring
I recon the high thirtys to mid forties would be around an A on this paper the predicted boundaries (approximately) are:
C )19 B )28 A)37 A*) 45
(edited 7 years ago)
A receptor is a group of cells that are sensitive to a stimulus. They change stimulus energy into electrical impulses. An example is light. Hoping this is right..
I left my answer in standard form😞
for the malaria one 😓
Original post by Haashym
15%

0.666...%?
Original post by TearraeT
im pretty sure its 0.666... The question was something like:

3X10^8 people contracted malaria and 2x10^6 people died from it. Hence the working out would be:

(2X10^6/3X10^8)X100 which gave me 0.6 recurring. (0.666%)

That's what I got it's the same as 2/300 x100
Original post by FaithKG
Im a business studies student and even I didnt know what an independant company was!

It's a company that isn't influenced by anyone's opinions aka it's not bias
Yeah I got the same answer which is the correct answer: 0.6 % as you divide 2000000 by 300000000
Reply 1348
Original post by lilyflowerxoxo
What did people get for the question about all boys drinking and why was the hypothesis not valid??

Because they only asked 100 boys which is not representative of all the boys in the UK.
Reply 1349
Original post by Eddiz7
Yeah I got the same answer which is the correct answer: 0.6 % as you divide 2000000 by 300000000

I don't think it's 0.6% though as you get 0.6 recurring as the answer which stands for 0.666666666 (and so on). Therefore, if you round it to 1 decimal place, it would be 0.7%
But you will probably still get most of the marks anyways.
Original post by Mrs Yannick
I recon the high thirtys to mid forties would be around an A on this paper the predicted boundaries (approximately) are:
C )19 B )28 A)37 A*) 45

I really hope they are this low. I got around 30 marks. Spent all day revising compleatly different topics.
Any one get 1.6 for the average speed of the impulse in the brain reflex question?
What was the total raw marks for the paper?
Original post by athrowaway
What was the total raw marks for the paper?

Original post by charliej2802
Anyone else get 0.67%???

my mate got dat but i got 15% lol
Would smog levels have been an acceptable answer for a way of detecting air pollution?
I know that lichen was the organism used to check, and I should probably have put acid rain, but would smog be acceptable?
Original post by BH1234
I found that exam fairly easy, although I'm only aiming for a B in it so...

Same... Felt like I aced it with 15 minutes left... then I've just realized that the last question asked about animals that can detect?? or something and how would you detect otherwise? Definitely got that wrong haha I put zebrafish and co2
Original post by Cirsium
Categoric data is like red, blue, white... You can't plot it on a scatter diagram.

aka qualitative data. However, what people should have put is that scatter graphs show a relationship between variables which is there correlation.
Original post by dangerouswoman
I put 'more accurate' or 'more reliable results'. Something like that should get you the marks. Was it 1 or 2 marks? I can't remember

1 mark question. Better Resolution should suffice.
Original post by AJ2104
General Predictions

Plenty of papers always start with atomic structure, so that is charges, location of sub-atomic particles, electronic configuration, mass of atoms, etc.

Most likely there will be equations that will need to be balanced, they are getting harder each year though.

AQA has started asking questions about topics such as emulsions and hardening of oils. You should know the structure of the emulsifier and the conditions for hardening. If you are every stuck when it comes to talking about conditions with anything to do on C1 just write down that it needs to be hot with a catalyst.

Looking at examiner reports, they often complain saying that students rarely answer bromine water questions correctly. The examiners love asking questions about topics that students will have no clue on (as we've seen in B1 already).

Displacement reactions might come up. Along with this a lot of practical experiment questions pop up in exams, so you should know how to work out the mean, spot anomalies, drawing graphs, predictions from data, lines of best fit, etc.

A lot of organic chemistry is likely to come up because of the amount of it that was on the course. For example, ethanol, how it is used, how it is produced, the problems with it; alkanes and alkenes and polymers as well. These were topics that examiners commented on in last year's report.

Potential 6 mark questions:

Anything to do with limestone, so quarrying, its production and the cycle of limestone. The reason for this is because it is not in the new specification so we will be one of the last years to be examined about this.

Polymers may appear because it is a big part of the new specification. So you need to know how to draw polymers, ethical issues to do with plastics, etc.

The Miller-Urey experiment hasn't come up in a long while either.

This is great thanks.

The Chemistry is On the 24th and the physics is Thursday is that right also?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending