The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amytse
what did someone write about for the 15 marker on coasts? I wrote about how salt marshes form and how it protects the beach? I GOT SO CONFUSED!!

If I remember correctly, it talked about shorline management or something like that? I talked about Hornsea and how their adopted SMP was hold the line. Then simply talked about three of their main sea defenses, giving a positive and negative for each in terms of protection.
Original post by ArbinderSingh98
What u write, i wrote basically theirs only potential in MEDC where they can balance renewables and non renewables, then not LEDC burkina faso and middle east Oil??? WBu??????

I compared sustainable energy methods in the UK. Personally chose Wind and solar. However, the question was extremely vague, so I reckon they'll be lenient. :biggrin:
the 15 mark health q came ip in june 2011
What's everyone's initial thoughts on the paper, easy? Hard?

Personally after doing last years exam I found this years resit to be a nicer paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mogmeister
if your areas were contrasting then im pretty sure you shall get some marks, however not the top bands. Talking about pollution is relevant im pretty sure, as long as you did link it to higher density levels in the city. In my answer for this question, i talked about
ethnicity, transport and the types of housing.

Thank you so much, this has made me feel a bit better, I just hope I can get a few marks from level 1! Yeah I did do two contrasting areas and link it to population density so hopefully might get me one or two marks? Yeah when I looked it up it said that's what you should write about so I'm sure you will have done really well!!
Original post by the special one_
agh sorry to hear that man.
with my story, i was extremely lucky that all the 15 markers i knew well and hopefully accessed level 3 for all of them, however i ran out of time and didn't even bother looking at that rejuvination one cause i knew i was getting a straight 0, i don't know what river terraces are...... and the mass movement one's were so vague and weird so don't worry i left that blank too.
luckily too i printed off notes for social welfare so it's like quality of environment, dereliction of building and pollution, levels of crime and drug abuse with academic levels of aspiration.

hope you still pass though g

Nice, I wrote way too much for the waterfall question even though it was 4 marks and tried to write as much as I could for the terraces one but I didn't mention dominant vertical erosion so I know 7 marks is basically inaccessible now.
I feel like the mass movement questions were so hard to answer, it was only 4 marks or something for the first bit on explaining but I had no idea how to answer it because it showed 2 types, and then I had absolutely no clue how they change the shape of a coastline!

for the population one I wrote an introduction then wrote about housing, income and deprivation for but that's it, and i didn't write it in any detail at all (maybe occupying about 6 lines only) and didn't even write a conclusion because I ran out of time! Same with the health section, I rushed through the short questions and the 15 marker so I don't think I've done well at all. I'm really disappointed because I've worked so hard this year and gotten As throughout the year but I just flopped it today :frown:
oh well guess I'll just have to resit next year.

also thanks, it seems like you did well. I feel like I poured my heart out on the physical section and just messed up the human bit. I'm hoping I did super well on the physical bit to pull my marks up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyunicorn
for the population 15 marker i talked about the Isle of Purbeck in dorset which is undergoing rural depopulation and Brick Lane in london which is experiencing population growth but as the question asked for two 'settlements' does this mean it had to be two areas
of a city or will the case studies i have used by ok?

This is what I did! I think it should be fine because it just said two CONTRASTING settlements and they're both different as one is rural and one is urban, what factors did you write about relating to social welfare??
What are rough grade boundaries??
So for the population 15 markers, if you wrote about services in two different areas but linked them to the social welfare of the population of those areas (e.g. old people having care homes) it was wrong? I'm so confused.
Original post by Lucashamps369
What are rough grade boundaries??

Lat years were 75/120 for an a and 48 for an E so they're pretty close together
What did people put for last energy 15 marker?
Good evening all!

Im new to TSR and here is what I put as my answers

RIVERS

1.)

(a) (i) (With picture of fluvial landforms). I put about waterfalls and potholes, saying how the waterfall was very rocky and had a steep back. I said the potholes were circular and had steep sides

(ii) (Waterfalls). I said that the river erodes soft rock underneath the waterfall, the overhang collapses and falls to create a plunge pool. I also gave some background info saying it is an upper course feature and it is formed due to erosion.

(b) (River Terraces). This was a horrible one! But I introduced what rejuventation was and said stuff about eustatic and isostatic change but I think I messed up

(c) (Flooding) did Boscastle and Bangladesh. I said the causes and the impacts

COASTS

(a) (i) (Mass Movement Diagram). I said about slumping but forgot to include landslides. I explained how slumping works by saying that sand sits on top of clay and thus provides a slippery surface.

(a) (ii) (Mass Movement and Landforms). I said slumping changes the shape of the cliff and then I linked it to Barton on Sea. I also said rock fall changes the shape of the cliff.

(b) (i) (Stack Diagram). I labelled it with stuff like vegetation, tall, rough edges etc

(b) (ii) (Stack Formation) I said hydraulic action erodes cliff but I forgot to add stuff like caves. I said the arch collapses although I worded this differently in the exam.

(c) (Coastal Management) I included Sefton Coast for my case study. I included stuff like Beach Nourishment and Dune Regeneration and put benefits such as regeneration of vegetation and reduced quad biking. The only relevant cost I put was that there was still erosion at Formby Point

POPULATION

(a) (i) (Table) I just described trends and included data

(ii) (Useful Indicators) I put life expectancy can show what provision of healthcare is like and population density could show birth rate??

(b) (Uganda) I put it was in Stage 2 and put that if it moved into Stage 3, life expectancy would increase and there would be less births. Top of pyramid would widen and bottom would become narrower.

(c) I linked Waterloo and Yateley and said about housing, ethnicity, provision of services etc
Anyone know what came just before the GM crops question on food ?
Man that paper was lovely.
I'm so happy rejuvenation came up, I'm a little annoyed about the population 15 marker as I was so sure ageing and youthful population was going to come up.

river 15 mark I kind of forgot my facts so I just generalised so it was only worth about 10 at most. Spoke about Boscastle and Pakistan but I felt the points were a bit ehhh.
I almost started writing about what actually happened (causes) but I figured it wasn't actually asking this directly so I just mentioned short and long term impacts.

Coasts I didn't like the mass movement question as it was a bit vague but I spoke about the slumping of material towards the sea etc. The stack question was fine, basically outlined everything from wave cut notches to cavitation then onto arches and stacks.. the 15 marker I wrote about the Essex salt marshes and abbotts hall farm, costs and benefits of allowing reclamation etc.

Population was ok, Uganda question threw me off but mentioned it was stage 1 and said if it continued it would end up on stage 4 (and drew the pyramid for s4). 15 marker was horrible as I didn't expect it, just threw down some generalised facts.

The energy questions I loved, I'm a bit iffy with distribution questions like that, but I'm happy fuel wood came up, so I just spoke about Burkina Faso and solar cookers for the potential for sustainable energy supply.

All in all I answered every question, it's better to do that and gain a few marks than none at all. I may be optimistic but I think I only dropped around 30 marks or so..

Happy some stuff I predicted actually cane up too!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sorta worried as I finished with 30 mins left, I did answer everything I just now hope I had the detail :/
Thomas Yau sucks eggs
Just read an article that the grade boundaries are going to be made higher for as geography, lucky I got full marks...
Original post by kieren maddock
Just read an article that the grade boundaries are going to be made higher for as geography, lucky I got full marks...

whats the article????
i talked about a sea wall being built around the maldvies for the coasts 15 marker, is this ok?
Reply 639
For the first question on rivers, for some stupid reason I decided to explain formation as well as describe :frown: will I get marked down for that???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending