The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hedgemonkey
Got my offer yesterday. A*AA

Not taking it. They pissed us about too much with the extra statement and long delays in making offers, when most other unis had already sorted out their act. Also the online booking of applicants day place was shoddy.

A*AA? Extra statement? Are you sure you applied to EEE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
A*AA? Extra statement? Are you sure you applied to EEE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes MEng EEE with innovation. Was asked for an extra 2000 word statement on innovation after making the shortlist. Submitted and did not hear for 2 months till invite for applicants day. Went online and all places taken.
I really need help with my homework.
N = 10000
For Air
I = 1A
S = 0.25mm²
L = ?
Original post by applicant3345
Should I choose Uni of Manchester or Uni of Nottingham for EEE? What are the pros and the cons of each?

Can you visit the universities? Both are good for EEE, both have good nightlife, both are in big cities... You need to be specific with your ideal university for someone who doesn't know you to be able to help you.

Original post by applicant3345
Also, is it possible to do my industrial experience year in London?

Ask the universities this. It probably depends on where is available.
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Can you visit the universities? Both are good for EEE, both have good nightlife, both are in big cities... You need to be specific with your ideal university for someone who doesn't know you to be able to help you.

Ask the universities this. It probably depends on where is available.

Well, i may be out of step here - with the current crop of students, my my feeling is that either a> you are interested in getting an education for a career that will support you (hopefully) for the rest of your working career, OR b> you want to "party, party, party till you drop". My experience in engineering school [BSEE level] was that there was practically no time for the "party" part. Realistically, it's for 4 to 5 years. I would think that most people could stick to business for that long.

I did a masters degree a few years after i graduated whilst working full time as an electrical engineer. My job involved out of town travel about 50% of the time too. For that reason, it took me 7 [believe it or not] years to complete the masters pgm [successfully]. Liberal arts candidates have time to "party, party". When they graduate (if they do), they have a degree that they may, or may not, be able to sell. Engineers [IMHO] have something that is considerably more salable, but you have to put in a fair bit more work to get it - at least i did. Part of that was that nobody had ever explained to me how to be a serious student. That was my fault. Fortunately, i figured it out whilst i was in graduate school. I'm sure that if i had NOT, i wouldn't have managed to get my masters degree. Good luck to all of us. Cheers.
One question that i have heard asked, is: does a degree help in employment. On this side of the pond, i believe it does. Here's the reason(s): I have been a hiring manager. On a couple of occasions, i have had two candidates that were basically equivalent, except that one had a degree, the other did not. The degree did not directly apply to the job to be done. Now, of course, the question is: "Which did you hire"?? The answer, in both cases, was "the one with the degree". The next question is: "why"??? My answer (others may have a different answer in their particular cases), was that: "I know that the one with the degree had to: work all night to get work out (for their degree), work over their birthday, Christmas - when they really wanted to go home to their 'rents, but stayed on campus to finish an assignment, and forgo vacations to complete degree requirements. I know this, because I had to do it to get my degrees, and everyone i've worked with (that i've asked) had to do it too. The one without a degree, might decide when hunting season opens next fall, to take off for 3 weeks to chase deer. This could be just when i need "all hands on deck" to deal with a crisis, and keep my customer happy. My head is on the block with my management to get the work done. I cannot afford to have staff that i cannot count on - on the payroll. THAT is why i hire the one with the degree. The one without the degree might be just as dedicated, but they are untested. I'm not willing to take the chance. Cheers.
I worked (during school) in a TV repair shop (remember those)? After graduating from 6th form, i got a job at a small R&D electronics firm. When i finally went to undergrad uni, i had been working as a technician for 3 years. As a result, my lab partner and i were a whiz in the lab courses. We used to finish the lab experiments in about 1/5 the time taken by the other students. My partner could print like a typewriter. I've never seen anything like it. Never had any problem reading his notes. Due to the fact that my partner was very meticulous, we were never missing any data either. I found that familiarity with hardware to be a big assist after i graduated with my bachelor's degree too. I had already learned to work with one hand in my pocket - when involved with something with high voltage. A good math(s) background, coupled with hardware experience paid off for me. Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit20164
Well, i may be out of step here - with the current crop of students, my my feeling is that either a> you are interested in getting an education for a career that will support you (hopefully) for the rest of your working career, OR b> you want to "party, party, party till you drop". My experience in engineering school [BSEE level] was that there was practically no time for the "party" part. Realistically, it's for 4 to 5 years. I would think that most people could stick to business for that long.

I did a masters degree a few years after i graduated whilst working full time as an electrical engineer. My job involved out of town travel about 50% of the time too. For that reason, it took me 7 [believe it or not] years to complete the masters pgm [successfully]. Liberal arts candidates have time to "party, party". When they graduate (if they do), they have a degree that they may, or may not, be able to sell. Engineers [IMHO] have something that is considerably more salable, but you have to put in a fair bit more work to get it - at least i did. Part of that was that nobody had ever explained to me how to be a serious student. That was my fault. Fortunately, i figured it out whilst i was in graduate school. I'm sure that if i had NOT, i wouldn't have managed to get my masters degree. Good luck to all of us. Cheers.

Believe me there will be plenty of time for the "party"
Hello electrical engineers :biggrin:. Can someone explain to me how to find the angle of emergence to draw in a root locus hand plot?

Say I was given the overall transfer function

s+5s2+5s+9\dfrac{s+5}{s^2 + 5s + 9}

@trapking @+ polarity -
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Hello electrical engineers :biggrin:. Can someone explain to me how to find the angle of emergence to draw in a root locus hand plot?

Say I was given the overall transfer function

s+5s2+5s+9\dfrac{s+5}{s^2 + 5s + 9}

@trapking @+ polarity -

had a look at my notes, I don't know what the angle of emergence is, do you think it would be the same as the angle that the locus departs from the poles?

If so, each angle is found using: θi = π + arg({s+pi}{F(s)}) where I guess F(s) would be the transfer function you posted, and your poles are s = -pi. This formula was given, but I believe it comes from the Angle Criterion

The TF has yucky complex roots/poles (-2.5 ± 1.6583j, but i'll just use a ± bj from now on) but you can use them to factorise the denominator to give you:

F(s)=s+5(s+a+bj)(s+abj)F(s) = \dfrac{s+5}{(s + a + bj)(s + a - bj)} (I'm not completely sure the signs are right here lol)

at this point you multiply F(s) by (s + p1) just to cancel out one of the factorised brackets in the denominator to give:

(s+p1)F(s)=s+5s+abj(s+p_{1})F(s) = \dfrac{s+5}{s + a - bj}

Now, to find the arguments:

arg(s+5s+abj)=arg(s+5)arg(s+abj)arg(\dfrac{s+5}{s + a - bj}) = arg(s+5) - arg(s + a - bj) - I used this trick quite a lot but I can't remember where it came from

My working out took a huge tangent at this point but I think you let s = -p1 (and do the same with p2 to get your second angle), then to find the arguments you just do arctan(imaginary parts/real parts) and plug these back into the formula at the beginning

e: I hope someone can check this :erm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by + polarity -
had a look at my notes, I don't know what the angle of emergence is, do you think it would be the same as the angle that the locus departs from the poles?

If so, each angle is found using: θi = π + arg({s+pi}{F(s)}) where I guess F(s) would be the transfer function you posted, and your poles are s = -pi. This formula was given, but I believe it comes from the Angle Criterion

The TF has yucky complex roots/poles (-2.5 ± 1.6583j, but i'll just use a ± bj from now on) but you can use them to factorise the denominator to give you:

F(s)=s+5(s+a+bj)(sabj)F(s) = \dfrac{s+5}{(s + a + bj)(s - a - bj)} (I'm not completely sure the signs are right here lol)

at this point you multiply F(s) by (s + p1) just to cancel out one of the factorised brackets in the denominator to give:

(s+p1)F(s)=s+5sabj(s+p_{1})F(s) = \dfrac{s+5}{s - a - bj}

Now, to find the arguments:

arg(s+5s+a+bj)=arg(s+5)arg(s+a+bj)arg(\dfrac{s+5}{s + a + bj}) = arg(s+5) - arg(s + a + bj) - I used this trick quite a lot but I can't remember where it came from

My working out took a huge tangent at this point but I think you let s = -p1 (and do the same with p2 to get your second angle), then to find the arguments you just do arctan(imaginary parts/real parts) and plug these back into the formula at the beginning

e: I hope someone can check this :erm:

Yeah, its the same as the angle of departure. My lecturer didn't use this argument method, but I like it a lot, thanks :biggrin:
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Yeah, its the same as the angle of departure. My lecturer didn't use this argument method, but I like it a lot, thanks :biggrin:

What did they use? :beard:

I skipped this bit when I was doing my problem sheets because the angle of departure only seems to matter if you have complex poles. :ahee:
Original post by + polarity -
What did they use? :beard:

I skipped this bit when I was doing my problem sheets because the angle of departure only seems to matter if you have complex poles. :ahee:

We always get complex poles in exams :sigh:

I can't tell you what method he used because I have no idea what he did. He just wrote angles after connecting 3 points on the locus.
Is there a major difference between firming UCL compared to Imperial for EEE?
Original post by chrisidialu
Is there a major difference between firming UCL compared to Imperial for EEE?

Why do you want to firm UCL over Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Why do you want to firm UCL over Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive currently firmed imperial and insured ucl but im considering just withdrawing my imperial choice and having ucl as my firm
Ive currently firmed imperial and insured ucl but im considering just withdrawing my imperial choice and having ucl as my firm

Why?
Original post by jneill
Why?

The main reason is because of ucl insurance accommodation policy so im not guaranteed a place for first year if i keep it as my insurance. Secondly I feel I'll fit in better at ucl like I am conpletely opposite to the stereotypical imperial student and id prefer to meet a range of students not just ones who do science subjects. Finally im predicted A*AA but my Imperial offer is A*A*A which I very much doubt I am going to get.
The main reason is because of ucl insurance accommodation policy so im not guaranteed a place for first year if i keep it as my insurance. Secondly I feel I'll fit in better at ucl like I am conpletely opposite to the stereotypical imperial student and id prefer to meet a range of students not just ones who do science subjects. Finally im predicted A*AA but my Imperial offer is A*A*A which I very much doubt I am going to get.

There you go: you've answered your own question. :smile:
Original post by jneill
There you go: you've answered your own question. :smile:

Well no😂 because if i do manage to get A*A*A and not have imperial as my firm then I may have missed out on receiving one of the top university educations in the world for my subject😅

Quick Reply

Latest