The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology B1 - the unofficial markscheme

Scroll to see replies

No, (2x10**6 )
(---------- ) x100= 0.66666 recurring
(3x10**8 )
Reply 21
An independent company is a company who did not create the drug but tested it, so know one is being byias
Reply 22
Original post by MarkScheme69
The percentage question was 99.3%

No it wasn't

Lets create the unofficial mark scheme for today's biology paper, please help by commenting in this format: [Question number - Question - Answer - marks given].

Please continue to submit answers!

Go here to see the complied mark scheme: http://gcseanswers.co.uk/biology

1.Llegal, recreation (1)2.Changes chemical reactions, causes withdrawal symptoms (1)3.Independent company - not associated with the drug company (1)4.Unbiased (1)5.Effects nicotine, which is the same area as alcohol in the brain. Reduces pleasure, more likely to drink less (2)6.Boys drink beer, cider but the girls drank more wine, alcopop and spirits. (2)7.Not all boys drink because...(2)8.Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> Hydrated the body (6)9.Temperature sensor - more accurate/easier to read because digital (1)10.It increased because micro organisms break down grass, respire and release CO2 This is trapped because of cotton wool so it accumulates and increases (2)11.It levels off at 20% because either not oxygen left for microorganisms to respire or all of the grass has been decomposed so the microorganisms have nothing left to feed on to respire (not sure) (1)12.Receptor (e.g eyes/tongue/nose/skin/ears) detect stimuli and pass on an impulse. Effectors (e.g muscles/glands) receive an impulse and respond by contracting/releasing hormones (4)13.Synapse - junction/small gap between two nerve endings/neurone (2)14.Neurotransmitters diffuse through the synapse, attach onto nerve ending and continues pulse (2)15.Sense organ using spinal chord - skin (1)16.Mean speed = 80/50 = 1.6 (2)17.Why is brain (without relay neurones) faster than spine? Less time wasted for impulses to be passed through the relay so it travels faster than the spine because of a shorter distance (2) 18.Biomass is lost through waste/energy/heat/respiration/movement (2)19.There is a large amount of snails (200) as opposed to thrush (2) meaning they have less competition and ate more snails this more biomass (2)20.It is a scatter graph because it is comparing two sets of data (1)21.Higher percentage of no striped snails in woodlands but low percentage in grassland. Whereas with the light coloured snails, there's a higher percentage in grassland and low percentage in woodlands. (2)22.Woodland snails are better adapted because they are camouflaged (1)23.Horses foot size increased, amount of foot touching the floor decreased (2)24.Foot has a larger surface area so less pressure on soft mud so they don't sink into the ground (2)25.Variation in genes/mutations, better characteristics allow it to survive better and breed so their genetic material are passed onto the next generations. (4)26.Advantages 1.Males are released, they don't feed of blood so they don't cause malaria. 2.They reproduce so the children die before they become female adults and reduce malaria outbreak27.Disadvantages 1.Millions are released which could disrupt food chain, may even reduce biodiversity. 2.There could be long term side effects28.Overall they should/shouldn't release the mosquitos because... (4)29.Cut the gene using an enzyme from the DNA of the bacteria. Cut the DNA, using an enzyme, of the mosquito and insert the gene into it. Put the cell back into... (3)30.First part of the food chain are producers i.e plants (2)31.Mayfly larvae (animal) - water pollution (1) 32.Oxygen meter/rat tailed maggots/sludge worms for water pollution (1)60 marks

(Did this on my phone so explains why it's formatted so badly)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmiMcGivney

8. Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> Hydrated the body (6)

Pretty sure Calcium is a mineral ion so you can't mention it... :s-smilie:
Original post by IronicAxiom
Pretty sure Calcium is a mineral ion so you can't mention it... :s-smilie:

Should have just been 1. Carbs: make two points (energy, respiration..), 2: Protien: make two points (Growth and repair, amino acids?), 3: Fats: make two points (Energy and warmth?)

Not sure about the points but that layout would get you 6 marks
it was 4*10^6, not 10^7 (I'm pretty sure about that one)... i got 0.67%(2sf)
roughly 50
What are the grade boundaries
Reply 29
I got those too!
It asked for a type of animal didn't it? So that would be invertabrae?
Reply 31
Hi
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
1. a) nicotine and alcohol were legal recreational drugs
b) boys drink more lager, cider and beer than girls did...girls drank everything else more than the boys did
c) the sample was too small

3. (6 mark) fibre - aids digestions, carbs - used for energy through respiration, proteins - repair or replace damaged cells, fats - good energy store,
[ ( 2 x 10**6 ) / (3 x 10**8) ] 100 = 0.67 percent
other? I thought there was only 1 percentage question
Reply 35
Original post by alyxgower
I had 60% as it was 0.6 so I made it a percentage? But putting that as a question was a bit mean to be fair.
Also the mosquito article question about the article being not correct was stupid! Worst paper I've seen :frown:

I have 0.6 as the percentage…? Also I think it was 0.6 recurring so the answer would be 0.67 or 0.7% i think
Based on the mark scheme I got about 41 marks from what I remember not too bad I suppose but depends how the examiner is and the real mark scheme.
Original post by alexdt300
I have 0.6 as the percentage…? Also I think it was 0.6 recurring so the answer would be 0.67 or 0.7% i think

Oh I think you're right as loads of people have got around that, hopefully they give me a mark for the method of working out as a pity mark :tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by alyxgower
Oh I think you're right as loads of people have got around that, hopefully they give me a mark for the method of working out as a pity mark :tongue:

yeah I did the same thing so I hope so! good luck in all your other exams, got to look out for that next time :smile:
do you have the mark scheme for chemistry unit 1 as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending