The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatGuyJosh
So how are people going about revision today?

Rep this if you are also wondering, because I want to see people's answers.

Looking at every past question and flashcarding it by putting my plan for the essay behind it. And mini flashcards on philosopher and their date, book and titls
Original post by Bilalnaseerr
Kant isn't on the spec for ontological

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes he is?? I did an essay on his criticisms
Hi guys does anyone know if the predictions for AS last year were correct?? (I've been left in an unfortunate position with not being taught correctly and don't have time to revise them all to a good standard!!!!)
Original post by Iamflorence
Looking at every past question and flashcarding it by putting my plan for the essay behind it. And mini flashcards on philosopher and their date, book and titls

Nice, sounds like a really good idea.
Original post by Grace27
Hi guys does anyone know if the predictions for AS last year were correct?? (I've been left in an unfortunate position with not being taught correctly and don't have time to revise them all to a good standard!!!!)

Yeah me too. I go to a good school but we didn't get through everything.
Original post by Grace27

Not sure but my tutor who was an ocr examiner previously said that because its the last year spec, they would want to science and region, because they love it and its their baby!
I believe ontological argument will come up, but go with the philosophical investigation predictions i guess
I reckon if Religion and Science is on the paper it will be a question on Irreducible Complexity.
Best Case Scenario:
Plato
Ontological
Problem of Evil

Worst Case Scenario
Kant's Moral Argument
Religion and Science
Judaeo-Chirstian God.
Original post by Lanterne Rouge
Everyone talking about Kant's moral argument makes me scared, because my teacher decided not to include it. She was sure it wouldn't come up because it was used last year. I don't know the first thing about it :frown:

On the other hand, I've got a killer Plato essay lined up, having researched him so much. I have more additional knowledge about him and his Forms than you would ever need.

Other topics that worry me:

- Religion and science (Again, my teacher told us not to do it in an exam. I haven't revised it)
- Kant's criticisms of the Ontological Argument (we only learnt about the Predicate idea, not the analytical/synthetic statement bit)
- Comparison of PM/Demiurge to Judeo-Christian God (we learnt about each one, but haven't compared them)
- Creation ex-nihilo (What can you write about?)
- Coplestone/Russell debate (I know all about the cosmological argument but their debate was short and very vague. Difficult to write 25 marks on)

Would someone be able to clarify what synthetic and analytical statements are, and how they are used in the course overall?

In terms of answering the Russel v Coplestone debate question I asked my teacher and she said you'd need to outline what the cosmological argument is and then provide what each philosopher says in response to it, think that would end up being quite substantial if you know your stuff :smile:.

Also for creation ex nihilo it came up before and this is what OCR expected people to do -

1(a) Explain the concept of ‘creatio ex nihilo’. [25] Some candidates may begin by a simple explanation of this concept and its place in theology bytalking specifically about ‘Creation out of nothing’. Candidates may explain that while this is a key Christian belief it is not clear that this conceptcan be taken from the Old Testament. Here it is more often understood that God created theuniverse by crafting pre-existent material. At the beginning of the book of Genesis the phraseused of the pre-creation state is a ‘formless void’. Some candidates may discuss the extent to which this belief originated with Augustine and didnot become part of official Christian teaching until the 12 century when it was defined by thefourth Lateran Council. Those who see this concept as a support for the joining of religion and science through the bigbang theory may use this belief as part of their explanation. Some candidates may, alternatively take the approach of explaining Christian ideas aboutcreation in general and use this as a way into explaining the concept of ‘creatio ex nihilo’specifically.
Anyone have notes on the Augustine theodicy and Irenaen theodicy?

Looking through the Taylor book and it is so f* unclear. Can't find anything online either. Just need sinple notes which I can convert into an essay plan.
Guys can you tell me a solid structure you've used for a part b which gets good marks please
Reply 231
Original post by Grace27

Plato's forms or Plato's cave were predicted last year as they hadn't come up since Jan 2013 but didn't. So reckon they must come up this year
Original post by VivekJ555
BUMP.

Honestly, I think these 25 markers will come up

1) Explain Plato's theory of forms (25)

2) Explain the Ontological Argument AND Kant's challenges of it (25)

3) Explain the concept of God as Creator (25)

4) Explain Augustine's theodicy on the problem of evil (25)

Hume and his cosmological argument have come up quite often since the beginning of the spec - I don't think it'll come up.

Ahhhh that would be so amazing! Although, I really do think the moral argument is going to come up because last year it was done so badly and OCR tend to ask the same question if the candidates weren't very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233
Does anybody have any A grade essays for the
Ontological argument?
-Anselm
-Descartes
-Leibniz
-Malcom
-Plantinga
And criticisms by
-Gaunilo
-Hume
-Kant

Or any problem of evil essays
Mackie
Rowe
Plantinga free will defence
Hick soul making

Please :frown: xxx
Original post by Hayjayk89
Guys can you tell me a solid structure you've used for a part b which gets good marks please

Not sure if it's solid, but I'm just going to do:

- For
- Against
- Conclusion
Original post by ThatGuyJosh
Not sure if it's solid, but I'm just going to do:

- For
- Against
- Conclusion

I would:
state your life of argument i.e. agree or disagree ( but don't say 'I')
Then start with your weakest criticism and build it up

just do a small conclusion
What are the differences between Irenaean theodicy and Augustinian theodicy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
the differences between Augustine and Irenaeus is that Augustine focuses primarily on the Fall, and centers his argument around the idea that because Adam and Eve turned away from God and committed the "original sin", the rest of humanity are descendants from Adam and Eve and have to suffer the consequences of these decisions that they made. Both Irenaeus and Augustine look at Genesis, but come at it with completely different view points. Irenaeus looks at the part where it is described that we are made in the "image" of God, meaning that one day we will be in the "likeness" of God. Basically, Irenaeus thinks that we were born imperfect and immature and we spend our time on Earth suffering and hurting and it's all adding to our development into the likeness of God - whereas Augustine believes that the "perfect" world that God made was corrupted by Adam and Eve's decision to turn away from God.
Original post by justinekellyyyy
the differences between Augustine and Irenaeus is that Augustine focuses primarily on the Fall, and centers his argument around the idea that because Adam and Eve turned away from God and committed the "original sin", the rest of humanity are descendants from Adam and Eve and have to suffer the consequences of these decisions that they made. Both Irenaeus and Augustine look at Genesis, but come at it with completely different view points. Irenaeus looks at the part where it is described that we are made in the "image" of God, meaning that one day we will be in the "likeness" of God. Basically, Irenaeus thinks that we were born imperfect and immature and we spend our time on Earth suffering and hurting and it's all adding to our development into the likeness of God - whereas Augustine believes that the "perfect" world that God made was corrupted by Adam and Eve's decision to turn away from God.

Thank you so much I was pretty confused about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay so basically I was revising and I realized I have no idea what irreducible complexity is. Would anyone mind explaining it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending