The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Here we go! We can discuss exam questions or general content if you need help.

I won't be revising for a while but if I can help, I'll try, means less revision for me in the summer if I help people earlier on (or if people explain to me!)

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/M3/module.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pzWhDWDT60&list=PL-Lwmv6f0MHXvmGft6UoCJo63M3e0WVwW&index=4

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/#M3
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2nd :smile::smile:

this is gonna be my first exam
Reply 3
Original post by 雷尼克
2nd :smile::smile:

this is gonna be my first exam

Ditto I should think.

Just got my mock result back for M3 yesterday, managed an A* so quite happy. Nevertheless I bet we get a right arsy paper in May

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same my first exam for June series
Reply 5
I thought there was an M3 thread already?

Anyway, subbing! I'll be sitting the IAL paper. :smile:
Joining
yeah my first too

hf
Is it safe to say that whenever there is an object (such as a pole for instance) which is in contact (at an angle) with the ground, that the reaction force always acts perpendicular to the ground. It makes sense but I don't fully understand why it would be perpendicular to the ground and not perpendicular to the object.

This is what I'm talking about, I'm never quite sure where the reaction force is supposed to point.
Original post by KFazza
Yes, and because weight also acts perpendicular to the ground

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was my thinking too! Good old Newton's 3rd law.
Original post by KFazza

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Louisb19
That was my thinking too! Good old Newton's 3rd law.

It's nothing to do with the direction of the weight.

When a curved end meets a flat thing, the normal reaction is perpendicular to the flat thing. That also explains the direction of the force N on your diagram.
Reply 11
Original post by Louisb19
Is it safe to say that whenever there is an object (such as a pole for instance) which is in contact (at an angle) with the ground, that the reaction force always acts perpendicular to the ground. It makes sense but I don't fully understand why it would be perpendicular to the ground and not perpendicular to the object.

This is what I'm talking about, I'm never quite sure where the reaction force is supposed to point.

Original post by KFazza

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reaction force is always perpendicular to the surface. Remember M1 - inclined slopes?
Reply 12
Could someone please help me understand what's going on in question 4a here? I really don't get the method. I've self-taught myself M3 for the most part so I'm not the best yet at recognising which methods to use.
Reply 13
Original post by caaleb
Could someone please help me understand what's going on in question 4a here? I really don't get the method. I've self-taught myself M3 for the most part so I'm not the best yet at recognising which methods to use.

Haven't looked at the question, but it looks like you were given v = 4/(x+2). You know v = dx/dt, so just solve the differential equation (FP2 I think?)

I assume the question said for the first 2 seconds, hence the integral from 0 to 2 with respect to time, and 0 displacement to X displacement for dx. Then just integrate and solve the quadratic.
Reply 14
Original post by ombtom
Haven't looked at the question, but it looks like you were given v = 4/(x+2). You know v = dx/dt, so just solve the differential equation (FP2 I think?)

I assume the question said for the first 2 seconds, hence the integral from 0 to 2 with respect to time, and 0 displacement to X displacement for dx. Then just integrate and solve the quadratic.

Oh well that's handy, I haven't started that bit of FP2 yet, doing complex numbers at the moment :rolleyes: Thanks though haha, appreciate it.

I feel like I'm alone in finding M3 really hard, surely other people have felt like that?

Edit: It actually looks to be C4, but funnily enough I haven't finished the Integration chapter yet there
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by caaleb
Oh well that's handy, I haven't started that bit of FP2 yet, doing complex numbers at the moment :rolleyes: Thanks though haha, appreciate it.

I feel like I'm alone in finding M3 really hard, surely other people have felt like that?

I thought there were a few hard bits (particularly one question on simple harmonic motion), but then I learnt M4 to make M3 easier. :colone: You should definitely learn first order differential equations before continuing with M3.

Edit: I have no idea how far C4 differential equations goes. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ombtom
I thought there were a few hard bits (particularly one question on simple harmonic motion), but then I learnt M4 to make M3 easier. :colone: I strongly suggest you learn FP2 differential equations before continuing with M3. (Don't think you need second order for M3 but there's definitely a lot of first order.)

Wait really? i didn't need any FP2 for M3
Reply 17
Original post by Student403
Wait really? i didn't need any FP2 for M3

Ah, I must be getting my units confused then.
Original post by ombtom
Ah, I must be getting my units confused then.

According to a flowchart I saw, FP2 is needed for M4 and FP2 and FP3 are needed for M5
Reply 19
Original post by Student403
According to a flowchart I saw, FP2 is needed for M4 and FP2 and FP3 are needed for M5

Definitely FP2 for M4. I struggled through M5 without needing FP3. Maybe that's for the old specification, or I learnt FP3 without realising? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending