The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dausa99
I put Lichen down as well but now a something has spread and they wanted an animal not a plant/fungi?!? :s-smilie:

Yeah text of the question is "Name one type of animal that can be used as an indicator species". Sorry :frown:
Are you sure, I saw a tweet saying it was animal indicators
Original post by Resty
I said Lichen for the first named example and then used tubifex worms.. another biological indicator but surely they can't ignore that as they are used to test for pollution....

Unfortunately it's a question with a bold one, meaning if you write an incorrect answer you lose the credit for the right one. And it does say animal. :frown:
Original post by Cirsium
Yeah text of the question is "Name one type of animal that can be used as an indicator species". Sorry :frown:

Are you sure?
Original post by SofiaSmith
Are you sure?
Absolutely positive.
This was the stupidest exam ever-15 year olds drinking, snail colours..... what were AQA thinking??? the grade boundaries had best be low. Is there any point revising the specification for chemistry and physics?:angry:
Reply 106
**** that test.
Original post by Melville140
I found it okay actually, I didn't put calcium into the 6 marker which I'm annoyed about now but I put in vitamins and everything else in :/. The very last question over a different way of using an indicator was hard :/ what's an indicator you can use for sulfur dioxide/air pollution? Does anyone know??

I didn't even include fibre for the six marker which I am really annoyed about because I expected the worst so I only skim read over balanced diet. The very last question I wrote Mayfly larvae (as it did say animal indicator) which indicates the level of water pollution and then rat-tailed maggots or sludgeworms as another way to spot air pollution. I'm not too sure though as lots of people wrote lichens.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
THAT WAS THE WORST PAPER EVER!

"What is meant by an independent company?" - obvious but not a question that I'd like to see on a Biology paper. AQA are a shitty business and this question just showed it with a disgusting 1 marker like this. BUSINESS STUDIES AND BIOLOGY DO NOT OVERLAP AT GCSE; STICK TO THE ****ING SPEC YOU MONGS LIKE YOU DID BACK IN 2011 OR WHATEVER.

TO EVERYONE WHO DID EXAMS PRE-2014, YOU HAD IT ****ING EASY!

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!

bruh i felt the same thing XD :biggrin::angry::angry:
Reply 109
Original post by Cirsium
Absolutely positive.

Fairly certain it actually said "Describe another method that can be used to measure the environmental change described in question whatever.
Original post by Resty
Fairly certain it actually said "Describe another method that can be used to measure the environmental change described in question whatever.

:yep: Yep I was responding to a q about 7ci (Name the animal indicator species and the environmental factor) as opposed to 7cii (Give one different method of measuring the environmental factor you gave in the previous part)

(Or at least I was trying to. I may have completely misread whatever I quoted).
Reply 111
Original post by Cirsium
Absolutely positive.

Sorry wasn't clear: meant in part a) it said describe an animal that can be used as an indicator species and what it measure.

a) i) then said: State another method that can be used to detect an indicator species - think you could say instrumental methods or another named indicator species such as in my case tubifex worms
Original post by ellie10125059
This was the stupidest exam ever-15 year olds drinking, snail colours..... what were AQA thinking??? the grade boundaries had best be low. Is there any point revising the specification for chemistry and physics?:angry:

I know it's a rhetorical question, but yes. There's always more context for B1 exams than C1 etc and at the end of the day even when they're asking you about 15 year olds drinking that's data and the impact of legal drugs, and snail colours is adaptation etc etc. It's all in the spec somewhere.
Reply 113
Original post by Cirsium
:yep: Yep I was responding to a q about 7ci (Name the animal indicator species and the environmental factor) as opposed to 7cii (Give one different method of measuring the environmental factor you gave in the previous part)

(Or at least I was trying to. I may have completely misread whatever I quoted).

Ah nvm you replied when i was typing that last message xD

Either ways, I feel like I did pretty well in that exam. Went in there with the mindset of "Show the examiner what you do know, not what you don't." Wrote alot for all the questions and covered everything relevant. praying the rest of the AQA sciences are like that one though.
Original post by Resty
Sorry wasn't clear: meant in part a) it said describe an animal that can be used as an indicator species and what it measure.

a) i) then said: State another method that can be used to detect an indicator species - think you could say instrumental methods or another named indicator species such as in my case tubifex worms

Ah gotcha. I would definitely expect an answer about instrumental methods, as all the different indicator species have different ranges. So you can't really survey the same area with two different inverts. They might let you have two inverts though.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
THAT WAS THE WORST PAPER EVER!

"What is meant by an independent company?" - obvious but not a question that I'd like to see on a Biology paper. AQA are a shitty business and this question just showed it with a disgusting 1 marker like this. BUSINESS STUDIES AND BIOLOGY DO NOT OVERLAP AT GCSE; STICK TO THE ****ING SPEC YOU MONGS LIKE YOU DID BACK IN 2011 OR WHATEVER.

TO EVERYONE WHO DID EXAMS PRE-2014, YOU HAD IT ****ING EASY!

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!

They tried to trip us up so much they decided to make it a different subject because they ran out of questions
Got some breaking news guys...ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463564052.527207.jpg

AQA are clearly alchopop addicts 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gordon123
I said test rivers for acidity using a pH meter but I think I should have just said rain now

Lichens I thought till I read the comments.
Original post by gonza nelson
Lichens I thought till I read the comments.

A lot of people wrote Lichens Nelly but it's said 'animal' so we should've put salmon as they can only live in high o2 concentration waters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
Original post by dausa99
Got some breaking news guys...ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463564052.527207.jpg

AQA are clearly alchopop addicts 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said the smallest are better are surving because the have 4 bones and are stable
Clearly lost all the marks!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending