The Student Room Group

Need help with my passport countersignature

Scroll to see replies

Original post by domonict
The idea is that the professional will also be on a register for professional reasons, and so be found again, should they wish to check.

So a GP has his GMC registration
But
A chef is just a random name

Not really. There is no central register for most of the allowed occupations. It is just a hangover from days gone by when middle class people were trusted by the the establishment (and could at least definitely read and write and be expected to understand what was required of them and what the duty was all about) and the rest weren't.
Original post by Good bloke
They don't need to know you well. They only need to be able to identify that you are who you say you are and to have known you for two years. It isn't a reference; they aren't saying you deserve a passport.

Sadly I emailed my lecturers with them saying they can't do it as they don't really know me and why am I even asking them for
Do you have a teacher from your old 6th form who is able to sign your passport form?
Original post by lovecupcakes
Sadly I emailed my lecturers with them saying they can't do it as they don't really know me and why am I even asking them for

Have you considered your next door neighbours? Have they known you long enough? Past employers?
Original post by domonict
The idea is that the professional will also be on a register for professional reasons, and so be found again, should they wish to check.

So a GP has his GMC registration
But
A chef is just a random name

Not really. There is no central register for most of the allowed occupations. It is just a hangover from days gone by when middle class people were trusted by the the establishment (and could at least definitely read and write and be expected to understand what was required of them and what the duty was all about) and the rest weren't.

The government has become very opposed to doctors signing passport applications, because in the modern world of group practices, most doctors wouldn't recognise most of their patients even if they had been on their list for more than 2 years.

Your countersignatory can’t:

be a doctor, unless they state that they know you well (eg good friend) and that they recognise you easily from your photo

However this is one that always worries me

https://www.durham.police.uk/Information-and-advice/firearms-and-firearms-licensing/Pages/Countersignatories.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you have a teacher from your old 6th form who is able to sign your passport form?

I have but all the teachers I knew have left :frown:
Have you considered your next door neighbours? Have they known you long enough? Past employers?

rubbish thing is I don't get on well with my neighbours so I doubt they would bother to help countersign for someone they don't like. I've worked at my current job for less than a year and I'm honestly thinking there's no hope anymore
My parents have a good friend that's a take away owner, can he countersign my passport?
My parents have a good friend that's a take away owner, can he countersign my passport?

I'd have thought so. If he is a director of his own limited company his occupation is on the list linked earlier anyway. If not, well the list is a non-exhaustive one and I'd have thought a shop owner has as much standing as a travel agent, journalist, funeral director, pub landlord.or photographer.
I'd have thought so. If he is a director of his own limited company his occupation is on the list linked earlier anyway. If not, well the list is a non-exhaustive one and I'd have thought a shop owner has as much standing as a travel agent, journalist, funeral director, pub landlord.or photographer.

But then he doesn't personally know me and the only thing he could really put down with relation is father's friend and is that ok?
Reply 30
But then he doesn't personally know me and the only thing he could really put down with relation is father's friend and is that ok?

I confirm that I have known the person named in section 2, or in the case of a child, the adult filling in section 9 (insert their name)
<name>
for (insert years) as (please say how - for example, employer, colleague, friend and so on).
<years> as "family friend".

But he needs to be aware that he may be contacted and asked to confirm that he knows you. He doesn't need to know you well, just to confirm that you are who you say you are, and he's known you for at least 2 years. Which of course he can.
Original post by jneill
I confirm that I have known the person named in section 2, or in the case of a child, the adult filling in section 9 (insert their name)
<name>
for (insert years) as (please say how - for example, employer, colleague, friend and so on).
<years> as "family friend".

But he needs to be aware that he may be contacted and asked to confirm that he knows you. He doesn't need to know you well, just to confirm that you are who you say you are, and he's known you for at least 2 years. Which of course he can.

Thank you so much and thanks for everyone's replies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending