The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

It's probably going to be 72 for A*, I highly doubt that Edexcel would set A* as 72+, despite the paper difficulty.
Original post by DesignPredator
It's probably going to be 72 for A*, I highly doubt that Edexcel would set A* as 72+, despite the paper difficulty.

So happy right now!! This means I am almost guaranteed an A and I just need a decent FP2 for A*!!
Original post by physicsmaths
You should be fine. If the A boundary is even it will 74 for 100ums. So many 100ums people! Then agian this is tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

M8, I am really glad for your 100UMS. One step closer to Cambridge!

I actually panicked on Question 6 b) for like a minute, but then realised I had enough time to finish Question 7 and get back to it. :biggrin:

I think the paper was pretty standard except that I think 6 b) caught out a few people.

Anyway, with (hopefully) 100UMS banked I think I will be fine with A* in Further Maths, since it counters any potential flops in M4 and M5; and same for you with the Stats and Decision modules. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likely not then, my bad :redface:
when will a mark scheme go up?
Original post by oShahpo
How did you guys prove the second SHM?

Do -T=(newmass)a
That was it, it was only 3 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should be fine. If the A boundary is even it will 74 for 100ums. So many 100ums people! Then agian this is tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you prove the second SHM after the coalescing? F = -T but with the new mass?
Do -T=(newmass)a

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea exactly as I did :biggrin: 100% UMS then if I didn't misround any of the answers.
Do -T=(newmass)a

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was actually baffled at how easy it was. Probably caught out a few people, I am not joking. :biggrin: I was scared that I got it wrong lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DesignPredator

It will not be 72 for a* lol
Original post by BBeyond
It will not be 72 for a* lol

I think it would be way lower. TSR does not represent how most people found the exam, and 6 b) would've caught quite a few people off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys did you notice that the mass of the particle is 2m(not m) in question 6??
To people worrying - Every year the people who did well on the paper on TSR underestimate the general difficulty and overestimate the grade boundaries, it was definitely not a hard paper but it wasn't easy enough to justify S2 level boundaries. Personally can't see A* going above 70 but just my opinion.
Original post by Maths2002
Hey guys did you notice that the mass of the particle is 2m(not m) in question 6??

Yeah that irritated me so much. I kept writing 1/2 mv^2... mgh.. then realising I had to stick a stupid 2 in there
Original post by Maths2002

Yep. I actually made a silly mistake with RHS (mv^2/r and not 2mv^2/r) when resolving to find the tension in part b) but then went back to correct since I was not getting the required inequality haha. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
Yeah that irritated me so much. I kept writing 1/2 mv^2... mgh.. then realising I had to stick a stupid 2 in there

I know right. I actually panicked during the exam and left the question to do Q7 before realising a silly mistake with using m and not 2m. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond
To people worrying - Every year the people who did well on the paper on TSR underestimate the general difficulty and overestimate the grade boundaries, it was definitely not a hard paper but it wasn't easy enough to justify S2 level boundaries. Personally can't see A* going above 70 but just my opinion.

June 2015 was ridiculously straightforward, yet was 69 for the A*. Was this harder?

I sat IAL - ours wasn't as easy but was kinda straightforward for an IAL.
Guys for the lamina question I proved it by first principles, but obviously still did the integration, I should still get the marks right?

Also what was question 7b because I think I may have missed it out...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending