The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries for Edexcel C1 2016

A close relative of mine works for Edexcel and she had told me that an increase in exam difficulty does not necessarily correlate to a decrease in grade boundaries, due to the general consensus that questions from A-Level Mathematics are becoming increasingly predictable. This can be proved by analysis of grade boundaries for C3 & C4 of 2015.

Therefore, the grade boundaries for this years' C1 should be as follows;

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS A - 66
70 UMS B - 59
60 UMS C - 52
Reply 1
... and a partridge on a pear tree ...
Reply 2
Are you a retard
Reply 3
rah, you're chatting bs, 1v1 me mw2 rust, get rekt, chat **** get banged
Reply 4
Original post by SargentZenj2
Are you a retard

loooooooooool
I was looking at past UMS scores for C1 papers, and for June 2011 it is 58 raw marks for an A. But also, you needed 72 raw marks or above to get full UMS.

So if June 2011 looks easier, then there is a chance for full UMS without full marks.
Reply 6
Last years was 63 for an A. Surely 59/60/61 for an A this year?
Reply 7
Original post by Pablo Picasso
A close relative of mine works for Edexcel and she had told me that an increase in exam difficulty does not necessarily correlate to a decrease in grade boundaries, due to the general consensus that questions from A-Level Mathematics are becoming increasingly predictable. This can be proved by analysis of grade boundaries for C3 & C4 of 2015.

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS A - 66
70 UMS B - 59
60 UMS C - 52

They are too high. Even a very easy paper would not have UMS like this. The C grade equates to a mark of 69%. No evidence that the boundaries will be like this - scaremongering!

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS A - 66
70 UMS B - 59
60 UMS C - 52

In that case, what did she say for economics on the 16th?
The whole point of scaling using UMS ("Uniform Mark Scale") is so that grades are comparable across papers which are of different difficulties. It is impossible for the exam board to know how "difficult" a paper is until they have candidates' responses.

The boundaries therefore won't be fixed until papers have been marked and the distribution of marks analysed - it is impossible to know what they are going to be until then.

Of course, we can hypothesise to our collective hearts' content about where they will fall, but those hypotheses are nothing more than educated guesses!
Original post by TA30
Last years was 63 for an A. Surely 59/60/61 for an A this year?

Yeah I think it will be something like that. Not 66 like Pablo Picasso is suggesting.
JUST SAYING
Exam boards base grade boundaries on the percentage of students that will get an A, B etc, so if they want 10% to get an A, they will make grade boundaries so 10% of the people that sat it get an A
Reply 12
Original post by SargentZenj2
Are you a retard
looooooooooooooooo
Reply 13

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS A - 66
70 UMS B - 59
60 UMS C - 52

An increase in exam difficulty does reflect on the grade boundaries to avoid unfairness to candidates, as if an exam is hard then people will overall not perform well. So far for the past 10 years, I haven't seen an A being regarded as 66, a B as 59 and a C as 52. The highest was 64 for an A. Considering this years paper was seen as tricky, an A should roughly be around 60. In my opinion; A - 60 B - 52 C - 48 D - 43 E - 36
Original post by oni176
An increase in exam difficulty does reflect on the grade boundaries to avoid unfairness to candidates, as if an exam is hard then people will overall not perform well. So far for the past 10 years, I haven't seen an A being regarded as 66, a B as 59 and a C as 52. The highest was 64 for an A. Considering this years paper was seen as tricky, an A should roughly be around 60. In my opinion; A - 60 B - 52 C - 48 D - 43 E - 36

Those definitely won't be the boundaries. The A and E boundaries are set and then B, C and D are equally spaced between them, give or take the gap not being divisible by 4.

So if A is 60 and E is 36, the gap between them is 24 so it would be 6 between each grade.
Reply 15
Original post by tiny hobbit
Those definitely won't be the boundaries. The A and E boundaries are set and then B, C and D are equally spaced between them, give or take the gap not being divisible by 4.

So if A is 60 and E is 36, the gap between them is 24 so it would be 6 between each grade.

I said its my prediction, I may be wrong which can happen.
However, it will probably be similar to the one mentioned above as an example.
Reply 16
Original post by tiny hobbit

Then the grade boundaries will be similar to Jan 2010;

A - 63 B - 54 C-46 D-38 E-30

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS A - 66
70 UMS B - 59
60 UMS C - 52

C4 was seen higher then it would have been predicted but C3 was on the money where it should have been.
They heightened C4 to limit the A* imho. Although I don't know if that kinda thing happens

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending