The Student Room Group

Ocr latin language tomorrow 17/05/2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
I would say that your answer is correct - his verbis auditus is an ablative absolute and you have just translated it literally, so i think they will accept it :smile: How did you find it overall?

ok cool thats what one of my friends said so i just wanted to check. I found it easy tbh. The first paper always is. I need to start learning my literature though...wbu?
Does anyone remember how the translation part went? I have no idea how I did :s-smilie:
I am pretty certain that it is cruel because 'crudele' is not an adverb (it is a neuter adjective - cruel). 'crudeliter' on the other hand is an adverb (cruelly).

Yeah you are right, I put cruelly prepared :frown: Realised I got it wrong after I talked to my friends.
Original post by Crème brûlée
Does anyone remember how the translation part went? I have no idea how I did :s-smilie:

I thought it was actually a bit easier than other translations. A lot of constructions though, but I think I did pretty well
Original post by igggy
ok cool thats what one of my friends said so i just wanted to check. I found it easy tbh. The first paper always is. I need to start learning my literature though...wbu?

It thought it was easier than all the past papers! But the grade boundaries will probably be really high as a result and it may mean that Language 2 is harder than usual... :frown: What did you put for the question near the end about how Venus punished the married couple? Yeah I need to learn my Lit too!!
What did you guys put as derivations, I got
annual - something that happens every year
trade - to hand something over in exchange for something else
I had same as you. I thought it was quite easy, but yeh grade boundaries will be higher
I accidentally but he for Venus, and "young men" instead of "young man". How many marks will I lose? How many marks is that question? Do you think 58 will be full UMS this year as it was really easy?
Original post by jamesj477
What did you guys put as derivations, I got
annual - something that happens every year
trade - to hand something over in exchange for something else

I put that as well! Although I thought "tradidit" meant "throw", but luckily trade was the only word I thought was similar to "tradidit", so I'm glad I put that
Reply 29
Hi for the translation was it 'conditions' or 'condition' for the bit about how they accepted her condition(s)? Also what does ita mean?
Original post by Crobby
Hi for the translation was it 'conditions' or 'condition' for the bit about how they accepted her condition(s)? Also what does ita mean?

a) Condition I think but even if you write conditions it'll be a minor error
b) so
Original post by nega166
b) so

Do you remember what the latin was in the translation for 'condition' as I can't remember (was it 'modus'?). Thanks :smile:
Original post by nega166
b) so

for ita will I get away with 'so much' (they were loving Atalanta so much)? also can't remember what I put (condition or conditions) do you know what the latin sentence was? I think it had acciperent in it
Original post by queenlizzie100
Yeah, I also put "cruel plan".
Also did anybody else finish ridiculously early?? I still had half an hour left when I'd finished :/

I also finished in about half the time, but then I went back and checked it thoroughly and realised I'd made a few mistakes. :h::h:

How did you find it? :smile:

Spoiler

Do you remember what the latin was in the translation for 'condition' as I can't remember (was it 'modus'?). Thanks :smile:

It was "condicionem" or something like that

Original post by 14Abbott
for ita will I get away with 'so much' (they were loving Atalanta so much)? also can't remember what I put (condition or conditions) do you know what the latin sentence was? I think it had acciperent in it

"They loved Atlanta so much that they accepted her condition" Yes you will get away with so much as it's correct lol

Spoiler

hi. what made you want to take up latin? what resources, books, websites did you use? what can you do with doing latin? im curious.
Reply 36
It thought it was easier than all the past papers! But the grade boundaries will probably be really high as a result and it may mean that Language 2 is harder than usual... :frown: What did you put for the question near the end about how Venus punished the married couple? Yeah I need to learn my Lit too!!

I think I put that she punished them as the young man had not given her a gift or something like that...I made it a bit ambiguous and hoped i get the mark coz i wasn't sure. What did u put?
Original post by nega166
It was "condicionem" or something like that

"They loved Atlanta so much that they accepted her condition" Yes you will get away with so much as it's correct lol

Ita lliterally means 'to such an extent' but I'm pretty sure they'll accept so much
Original post by Audrey18

Spoiler

hi. what made you want to take up latin? what resources, books, websites did you use? what can you do with doing latin? im curious.

I took up Latin because i thought it would be an interesting subject to learn, it is the base of many other languages (i am bilingual so I could link it to both polish and english) plus I am also doing Spanish and they are both very similar. I am also very interested in roman history, which you do a lot of when studying latin for gcse, and am considering becoming a doctor- lots of latin terminology there.

I did it at school, so used the CGP books, and sites like quizlet to learn vocab. Also I read about Roman history and their life (often in fiction books, which can actually be very informative).

After learning Latin you can learn other languages easier, especially if you understand latin grammar (very hard, at least i think so)
You can go into classics, it will help with history etc.
Understand the meaning behind all the harry potter spells and random quotes everyone throws around :biggrin:
Understand lots of the original meanings of words e.g. trade comes from trado which means hand over (really useless but still interesting for some people)
What was the translation for 'in mediis silvis'? I put 'in the middle of the woods' but silvis isn't genitive, is it? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending