The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool accommodation

Hi guys,

I have recently received an unconditional offer from Liverpool University and they have sent me another email about accommodation. I've been trying to research about the different uni halls at Liverpool but there doesn't really seem to be any information for 2016 entry and a lot of the threads talk about accommodation that doesn't exist anymore.

I am not really sure what I want but my brother has advised to be on campus and to be self catered for. I think Vine Court sounds good but it does seem to be a bit expensive. I want to be somewhere that will be very sociable because I'm worried about not making many friends. I have heard that catering is more sociable because you have dinner together at a certain time, but I don't really want to spend £40 more weekly in my rent just for someone to make me some food when I can probably live off £15 a week (or less) for food! I also am not sure whether to live on campus or off campus because I quite like the idea of being near the town centre (and the uni for that matter) to avoid paying for bus journeys etc but if it's more sociable off campus then I would probably prefer to be off campus.

I have read a lot about carnatic student village and that seems like the place to be; however, this is catered and I'm not sure whether catered is even that good??

Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by babatoosh
Hi guys,

I have recently received an unconditional offer from Liverpool University and they have sent me another email about accommodation. I've been trying to research about the different uni halls at Liverpool but there doesn't really seem to be any information for 2016 entry and a lot of the threads talk about accommodation that doesn't exist anymore.

I am not really sure what I want but my brother has advised to be on campus and to be self catered for. I think Vine Court sounds good but it does seem to be a bit expensive. I want to be somewhere that will be very sociable because I'm worried about not making many friends. I have heard that catering is more sociable because you have dinner together at a certain time, but I don't really want to spend £40 more weekly in my rent just for someone to make me some food when I can probably live off £15 a week (or less) for food! I also am not sure whether to live on campus or off campus because I quite like the idea of being near the town centre (and the uni for that matter) to avoid paying for bus journeys etc but if it's more sociable off campus then I would probably prefer to be off campus.

I have read a lot about carnatic student village and that seems like the place to be; however, this is catered and I'm not sure whether catered is even that good??

Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks!

Hi babatoosh!

Congratulations on your offer to study in Liverpool & best of luck in your exams. Deciding on where to live is very exciting and there are lots of things to consider. The first would be whether you wanted to stay in University Halls or Private Halls. Both are different but just as much fun.

Should you decide to move in to Private Halls, X1 Lettings may be able to help. We have accommodation in the City Center, waterfront and on London Road. Our halls vary from studio apartments to mixed halls of residence. Bills are included in your rent and some sites offer an onsite gym and cinema room for your private use-our prices start at £98 pw.

We would always welcome you in to the office to speak further about our properties or you can find them on our website:
http://www.x1lettings.com/

If you would prefer to speak to us in person, you can call 0151 559 3333 and ask for Charlotte who will be more than happy to chat about the above or offer you some further information about Liverpool.

Hopefully speak soon :smile:
X1-Eve.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Hi guys,

I don't really want to spend £40 more weekly in my rent just for someone to make me some food when I can probably live off £15 a week (or less) for food!

Sorry dude but there is no way you can spend that little on food without getting scurvy. I'm in the same position as you though, I can't decide if I want to go for what the uni pushes as the most sociable option or if I want to have the convenience of being on campus.
Reply 3
Hi
I'm starting this year but I have some friends already at the university. Carnatic halls are the most sociable because everyone has to eat together and there is around 20 people on each floor sharing bathrooms, plus everyone has to get the bus to the uni together. However, from what people have said its not the nicest accommodation and the food is just okay and the meal times can be quite inconvenient. Also its only catered at term time from what I've heard so if you're planning to stay over christmas/easter you'd have to cook yourself anyway. I picked crown place because its around 1200 undergrads so I figured it should be quite sociable and the friends I know who have lived said they've really enjoyed it plus it's cheaper than vine court. Crown place is right by the uni as well so it stops you having to travel in on the bus every morning. Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by amy..x
Hi
I'm starting this year but I have some friends already at the university. Carnatic halls are the most sociable because everyone has to eat together and there is around 20 people on each floor sharing bathrooms, plus everyone has to get the bus to the uni together. However, from what people have said its not the nicest accommodation and the food is just okay and the meal times can be quite inconvenient. Also its only catered at term time from what I've heard so if you're planning to stay over christmas/easter you'd have to cook yourself anyway. I picked crown place because its around 1200 undergrads so I figured it should be quite sociable and the friends I know who have lived said they've really enjoyed it plus it's cheaper than vine court. Crown place is right by the uni as well so it stops you having to travel in on the bus every morning. Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Ah that was actually really helpful! Cos I am really considering crown place as well cos it looks well nice, and it's on campus so it's more convenient. I've also heard from a lot of people that it doesn't really matter where you end up cos it'll be sociable anyway! I'm going to the open day on the 24th Feb so hopefully I'll still like it! Thanks for ur advice though :smile:
Ah that was actually really helpful! Cos I am really considering crown place as well cos it looks well nice, and it's on campus so it's more convenient. I've also heard from a lot of people that it doesn't really matter where you end up cos it'll be sociable anyway! I'm going to the open day on the 24th Feb so hopefully I'll still like it! Thanks for ur advice though :smile:

Hey! I've just made Liverpool my firm choice but I couldn't go to see the accommodation as I live in NI. I'm really considering crown place and just wondering does it look appealing or whatever ? Haha I really don't want to be catered but I want to be somewhere social too !
I applied to Greenbank because I thought it seemed like a good medium! Maybe you could check it out as well?

Also be aware of the fact that Crown Place and Vine Court were apparently three times oversubscribed last year and people have been applying for accommodation since September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I was in vine court first year, its a very nice halls, the food is good and being on campus (and basically in the city centre) is amazing but i'd go for carnatic if I were you as it's more sociable because of the sheer amount of people in each flat you inevitably end up with a bigger social group.

For people wondering Crown place is also a really good halls, very similar to vine court in room layout/style etc. Right in the middle of campus which is handy, and it's self catered so cheaper than vine court, however to my knowledge theres 5-7 people per flat so less people to meet (Vine court catered is 14 per flat)

Just to note for Greenbank that half of it is knocked down to be refurbished so there's a smaller amount of people there.
Is there anyone thinking of Melville Grove? Thought it sounded good because it's fully refurbished for this year, self catered, on campus (just a small walk) and its cheaper than crown place, which I heard can be a bit antisocial?

Hopefully there will be someone with me hahha
Original post by aec03021997
Is there anyone thinking of Melville Grove? Thought it sounded good because it's fully refurbished for this year, self catered, on campus (just a small walk) and its cheaper than crown place, which I heard can be a bit antisocial?

Omg me too! I applied to crown palace and Melville ! It looks really nice so hopefully I'll get one or the other
Original post by Wheredidshego
Omg me too! I applied to crown palace and Melville ! It looks really nice so hopefully I'll get one or the other

Which one have you put as your first choice??
Reply 11

I've been in Melville and they're really nice! It's quite a different halls experience as you live in a house format which I thought seemed a lot cosier and that people get on better as it feels more like a home and less like student accommodation. It's in a great location as well.
Original post by sloths
I've been in Melville and they're really nice! It's quite a different halls experience as you live in a house format which I thought seemed a lot cosier and that people get on better as it feels more like a home and less like student accommodation. It's in a great location as well.

That sounds really positive thankyou! 😄 Hopefully it'll be good and get into a good house with others!

Are you going this year to Liverpool? Or are you already there?
Reply 13
That sounds really positive thankyou! 😄 Hopefully it'll be good and get into a good house with others!

Are you going this year to Liverpool? Or are you already there?

I hope it goes well for you! I am here already and finishing up my second year
Original post by sloths
I hope it goes well for you! I am here already and finishing up my second year

Am I correct in assuming that the 5 people per flat in crown place is for double beds and 7 is single beds? I put double as first choice don't know whether the beds is worth sacrificing..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo

Also be aware of the fact that Crown Place and Vine Court were apparently three times oversubscribed last year and people have been applying for accommodation since September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahahah, so is it bad that I put Vine Court as my first and Crown Place as my second and third?
Original post by And what
ahahah, so is it bad that I put Vine Court as my first and Crown Place as my second and third?

I think it depends when you applied. If you applied late then yes, maybe, but you can always call up when the accommodation offers come in, I'm sure some people will want to change. You never know, you might get lucky!
I think it depends when you applied. If you applied late then yes, maybe, but you can always call up when the accommodation offers come in, I'm sure some people will want to change. You never know, you might get lucky!

I applied on the first week of March, would you say that this is early?
Original post by SlimShady96
I applied on the first week of March, would you say that this is early?

Well, not really, as people have been applying since September, and also anyone taking a gap year has had their accommodation confirmed already and if lots applied to Crown Place etc then that'll be filling up quickly. I guess it depends on the year, though, so you may get lucky! But I'm not a student there yet, I'm just going by what I've heard from various other people.
Well, not really, as people have been applying since September, and also anyone taking a gap year has had their accommodation confirmed already and if lots applied to Crown Place etc then that'll be filling up quickly. I guess it depends on the year, though, so you may get lucky! But I'm not a student there yet, I'm just going by what I've heard from various other people.
Apparently the time you applied doesn't really play a role anyway? That's what I've heard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending