The Student Room Group

Wednesday 18th May: Body Image

Body Image
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

More and more of us are experiencing problems with body image. The NCB said that: "Body image dissatisfaction is seen to undermine self-confidence, contribute to depression, and lead to the onset of a range of physical, emotional and societal problems. Around half of girls and up to one third of boys have dieted to lose weight, children and young people with body image dissatisfaction are less likely to engage in learning and school participation. Over half of bullying experienced by young people was caused by appearance.” Source: Reflections on body image All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image and Central YMCA.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

We've got some great threads already written about body image and the problems presented by it. You can see those here:Are you someone that has body image issues? Do you have any experiences you'd like to share? Get involved in the conversation! Reply below or make a thread about it. Let's get people talking about mental health. :h:

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

my body image is high definition 1080p
Reply 2
Well it USED to be alright... before A levels came and ****ed me up and now I'm obese :colonhash:

k not obese but my body could do with some TLC :redface:

If y'all having body image issues, just watch Onision x3 I know he's infamous for being an ******* but really - it helped me loads

and he's got like 100 more about body images and stuff
Reply 3
I used to feel like I had to dress a certain way.
I remember when I started a new school yr4, a girl came up to me and said I couldn't dress this way and that I should change and that I didn't look nice. That memory always stuck with me and I still remember the smug look on her face when she saw I was uncomfortable. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal. But for little yr4 aamira it was :redface:.

But it was that moment that made me realise, not to care too much about what people think. I decided that I will be who I am. Take it or leave it. :rofl:
Yeah sure, people might judge you for your body type and what you are wearing. But honestly, when your young, a bit lost in life, still trying to figure yourself out, the most important thing is to be yourself. Dress in what makes you feel comfortable and makes you feel good/happy. That's one of the initial steps in being confident in yourself.

No one, no child at such a young age should ever feel conscious of their body, they should be playing in the playground or something, but unfortunately that's the society we live in. :sad:
Reply 4
Original post by z33
Well it USED to be alright... before A levels came and ****ed me up and now I'm obese :colonhash:

k not obese but my body could do with some TLC :redface:

If y'all having body image issues, just watch Onision x3 I know he's infamous for being an ******* but really - it helped me loads

and he's got like 100 more about body images and stuff

OMDS! I love his channel :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by aamirac
OMDS! I love his channel :lol:

yaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAASsssssssssssssss gurl you know :wink: :tongue:
Original post by aamirac
x

Aw, Aamira! :console: These tips are brilliant :yep: thank you so much for sharing :hugs:

Original post by money-for-all

:colonhash:

Thanks for the tips! Strange video title, but I'll take your word for it :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by iEthan

Thanks for the tips! Strange video title, but I'll take your word for it :tongue:

i know x3 it's good tho :tongue:
Nice avatar :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by z33
yaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAASsssssssssssssss gurl you know :wink: :tongue:

You know, you know, you know :flute:...

Original post by iEthan
Aw, Aamira! :console: These tips are brilliant :yep: thank you so much for sharing :hugs:

It's okay Ethie. :colondollar: I like how TSR is doing this, I hope it helps others. :hugs:
Reply 9
Original post by iEthan
Body Image
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

More and more of us are experiencing problems with body image. The NCB said that: "Body image dissatisfaction is seen to undermine self-confidence, contribute to depression, and lead to the onset of a range of physical, emotional and societal problems. Around half of girls and up to one third of boys have dieted to lose weight, children and young people with body image dissatisfaction are less likely to engage in learning and school participation. Over half of bullying experienced by young people was caused by appearance.” Source: Reflections on body image All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image and Central YMCA.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

We've got some great threads already written about body image and the problems presented by it. You can see those here:Are you someone that has body image issues? Do you have any experiences you'd like to share? Get involved in the conversation! Reply below or make a thread about it. Let's get people talking about mental health. :h:

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!

very topical avatar
AAARRRGGGHHH
Original post by money-for-all

By body image is 4K! Come at me brah! :biggrin: #SummerShredded :lol:
In the gutter :rofl:
I have a 3D body! Beat that!
I'm hugely insecure over my figure because I used to be obese when I was younger and the insecurity has basically stuck with me. Seeing girls who have flat stomachs and bodies that aren't covered with stretch marks annoy me so much :colonhash: I used to be so jealous of one of my friends because her legs were pretty skinny and amazingly long but there honestly wasn't a point for me to. I'm only 5'4 and I'm never going to have long legs so I'll have to learn to live with my chunky ones.

Spoiler

Original post by CoolCavy
In the gutter :rofl:

:jumphug:

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
By body image is 4K! Come at me brah! :biggrin: #SummerShredded :lol:

:colonhash:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm hugely insecure over my figure because I used to be obese when I was younger and the insecurity has basically stuck with me. Seeing girls who have flat stomachs and bodies that aren't covered with stretch marks annoy me so much :colonhash: I used to be so jealous of one of my friends because her legs were pretty skinny and amazingly long but there honestly wasn't a point for me to. I'm only 5'4 and I'm never going to have long legs so I'll have to learn to live with my chunky ones.

Spoiler

:hugs: these things are really difficult, but hey, your spoiler proves that there's always light at the end of the tunnel :u:
Original post by iEthan
:hugs: these things are really difficult, but hey, your spoiler proves that there's always light at the end of the tunnel :u:

The weird part is that I have tiger stripes on my ass so I don't know why she's jealous :tongue:
my body image wasnt great as a teenager, from about 13 to 16 i couldnt leave the house unless i had make up on and wouldnt wear anything that wasnt a bit baggy. I've gotten much happier and more confident since then and i've been reasonably into a healthy weight range (prior to that i was always either just underweight or on the line) and stopped wearing make up 3 years ago.

It does get better once you're no longer a teenager i think.
I am literally the only 18 year old girl I know who doesn't diet and has never set foot in a gym. And I'm fine with that!

One of my best friends has anorexia pretty badly and was hospitalised for it last year. She is relapsing now and I don't know how to help her. It tears me up to see her like this :frown:
Original post by Platopus
I am literally the only 18 year old girl I know who doesn't diet and has never set foot in a gym. And I'm fine with that!

One of my best friends has anorexia pretty badly and was hospitalised for it last year. She is relapsing now and I don't know how to help her. It tears me up to see her like this :frown:

Hi!

So sorry to hear about this :sad: there's some things you can do for your friend and the NHS has written an article about it which you can find here: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/teengirls/Pages/treatmentforeatingdisorders.aspx

I really hope that your friend is OK and that you can help her :hugs: it mustn't be easy. But it will be easier with someone who cares like you at her side :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest