The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Would I not get 1 mark for doing the percentage question the other way round e.g 3 x10^8 / 2 x 10^6
Original post by AxSirlotl
I got 66.6% for the malaria question because I figured that 0.6% of all people infected with malaria dying was way too low to be correct.

Yeah, I did too. I accidentally multiplied the number by 100 twice. >.<

But if you think about it, 300000000 (people affected) is over 100 times more than 2000000 (people died), so the answer is probably 0.67%.
Original post by tianshan
Yeah, I did too. I accidentally multiplied the number by 100 twice. >.<

But if you think about it, 300000000 (people affected) is over 100 times more than 2000000 (people died), so the answer is probably 0.67%.

I realised that after, how stupid :frown:
???
For the question about what the drinking graph showed, im pretty sure it was saying about the percentage of boys or girls that drunk that specific drink. NOT how much they consumed, so i believe mist people got it wrong. Please correct me if im wrong
For the why is the brain faster I misread the question, would I still get a mark for saying the spinal cord had a relay neurone? And for the biomass question could you just say that energy was lost by the lettuce and snail to get the mark?
Reply 1426
Original post by charliej2802
Anyone else get 0.67%???

YESSS!!!
Everyone is complaining about the drunk rats question when it was all about drug testing??? Like pretty sure that's in the specification? Also, what would 43/60 be grade wise? Hoping for a B and I really need it to be a B, if not an A because my chemistry and physics is poor 🤔
Original post by Pkmnpencils
Everyone is complaining about the drunk rats question when it was all about drug testing??? Like pretty sure that's in the specification? Also, what would 43/60 be grade wise? Hoping for a B and I really need it to be a B, if not an A because my chemistry and physics is poor 🤔

If the boundaries are similar to a few previous years then it should be a high A, or a low A*, but nothing is guaranteed until all of the papers are marked and boundaries generated based on how well the country did as a whole on the paper. I think it should be more than enough for a B though!
Original post by zzzzz1
YESSS!!!

I went horribly wrong and put 15% 😂😂😂 whoopsies
Original post by louderthanbombs
If the boundaries are similar to a few previous years then it should be a high A, or a low A*, but nothing is guaranteed until all of the papers are marked and boundaries generated based on how well the country did as a whole on the paper. I think it should be more than enough for a B though!

AHHHH thank you :smile: much appreciated
Man I done the June 2015 Biology Unit 1 paper for AQA and I wish I done this one instead. Our one was more screwed up!

I think we had the hardest biology paper (2015) out of all of them - and/or most irrelevant one to the specification with a random range-table, finding nemo question, 20% maths - calculating percentage increase, counting some graph stuff, additional science in unit 1 with those statins and ribosomes towards the end and useless graph that no one uses, also random bird-watching questions (also where the percentage increase question was), and random ISA experiment questions about indpendant and dependant variables and whatnot (which we had a whole question on in every paper - Bio, Chem and Physics - no clue why).

We also had alcohol questions (and drugs) and the only questions that were relevant to the specification for unit 1 were cheeky 1 or 2 markers occasionally and the 6 marker about plant growth - the rest of random and irrelevant - and the second part of the specification (like adaptation, evolution etc.) was literally non-existent in our exam apart from 1 question: what is a gene, and also half a question about cell cloning, but of course they made it random because they told us about some iPS method.

At the time of sitting the exam, I found it a lot harder than June 2014's bio exam, which actually had biology aspects, like evolution etc, yet the grade boundary went up from 44 to 47 for an A* :/. But, I did manage to get an A overall for Science, probably thanks to the god-gifted Chemistry paper.

Looking back, the 2015 unit 1 bio paper doesn't seem that hard now, but it was definately more challenging than the 2016 one.

But then again the 2015 unit 1 chemistry paper was god-gifted (which you can see by 50 marks needed for A*, and 41 for A) - I got like 49 marks in it. Like at least 8 of the questions on that paper, including the 6 marker, had enough information in the actual question to write a full mark answer :biggrin::biggrin: - and of course 1 question was literally answered in a question later on by accident, good job AQA.

The 2015 physics paper wasn't too hard, it was alright, but damn that one question where they put a random equation for no reason, which you were not meant to use or write about - but of course, I did .... and it was like 7 marks gone there (3 and 4).

Anyways, I probably wrote enough for a novel, aka for an AQA science question.

Good luck to you all doing chemistry and physics! Expect a harder chemistry paper because the one last year was a joke year 6 paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
what would 46/47 be roughly?
Original post by istephen
what would 46/47 be roughly?

Very Likely an A*, but definately an A no matter where those ***** place the grade boundaries
For 31. I mentioned blood worms. Is that alright? I mean, they are indicators of water pollution 😭
For 31. I mentioned blood worms. Is that alright? I mean, they are indicators of water pollution..
Original post by BhaktiPate1
That was the most hardest Biology exam I'd ever doneeee!!!!

June 2015 was harder mate
Original post by louderthanbombs
I wrote about Zebra Fish too, from June 2012! It's the only thing I could remember xD

I did this too. I believe they can detect Carbon Dioxide? Maybe? and you can just use a co2 detector otherwise. I would be amazed If anyone got a mark for that however.
Original post by nisha.sri
I wrote continuous data - but i don't think that's right :s-smilie:
I also put that their is a lot of data
WHAT DID YOU SAY ?

I ALSO WROTE CONTINUOUS DATA ;_; oh my gosh

Posted from TSR Mobile
GUYS, for the relay neurone question, you can't say because the brain had shorter neurones. They were talking about how fast the impulses traveled as in SPEED. Doesnt matter if the neurones were 2 cm or as long as the diameter of the earth. It was about speed.

So My guess is that synapses slowed the speed down.

Quick Reply

Latest