The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -jordan-
My FM class all agreed on 2.080 for that.

I remember getting 2.08something in the exam, when i got home I redid the question and got 2.07something.... Not sure which one is right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you guys think that all AQA maths exams will be made harder like this one was? I think this exam was significantly harder than any FP3 paper so far. Do you think the change of front cover meant anything? I thought I had the wrong paper when I didn't see a numerical methods question at the start...
I got (1+ln(4root2)/4 as the coefficient - log law error in there somewhere? I got the approximation the others got.

So did i mate so who knows!
Original post by jackherbert077
Do you guys think that all AQA maths exams will be made harder like this one was? I think this exam was significantly harder than any FP3 paper so far. Do you think the change of front cover meant anything? I thought I had the wrong paper when I didn't see a numerical methods question at the start...

AQA have been toughening up all their exams in recent years, while the exams might be harder the grade boundaries have remained roughly the same so that's kind of annoying. When I sat down and looked through the front cover and didn't see a numerical methods question I knew I was going to be in for a rough ride. The questions themselves weren't that more difficult than previous papers but the layout freaked me out a bit.
Reply 464
Think there's gonna be high grade boundaries at the top but low on the bottom

"anyone who did c1 today and got 5 marks for differentiating 2x get out" I lol'd :biggrin:D
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
"anyone who did c1 today and got 5 marks for differentiating 2x get out" I lol'd :biggrin:D

**** I just realise when using integration by parts and multiplying 1/x by -1/6x⁻⁶

I wrote -1/6x⁻⁵

Instead of 1/6x⁻⁷

So when I integrated I got 1/30x⁻⁴ or whatever instead of 1/36... :///// how many marks do I lose?
********, that was not FP3 at all. What the **** was that? It was more like

lim [FPx]
x
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I got something like 2.0779 and rounded to 2.078 or something like that for the Maclaurin I have no idea what I did wrong
Original post by C0balt
Well I got something like 2.0779 and rounded to 2.078 or something like that for the Maclaurin I have no idea what I did wrong

My working:
Working.jpg
Original post by C0balt

I got that, everyone else is getting different answers so I don't even know. How did you find the paper over all?
Original post by JME_CHG
**** I just realise when using integration by parts and multiplying 1/x by -1/6x⁻⁶

I wrote -1/6x⁻⁵

Instead of 1/6x⁻⁷

So when I integrated I got 1/30x⁻⁴ or whatever instead of 1/36... :///// how many marks do I lose?

You will probably lose 2 or 3 of the 4 marks available. I messed up that question as i also managed to integrate wrong.
My working:
Working.jpg

Turns out we've done the exact same thing. Our answers are just in different forms.
My working:
Working.jpg

I think I differentiated wrong for f''(x)
Original post by CoIIins
Turns out we've done the exact same thing. Our answers are just in different forms.

Oh yeah, so you squared 4root(2) and took 1/2 to the front and had it all over 4. Probably neater than mine. :smile:
Why was that paper so different to every single one of the older past papers? I even had trouble figuring out where to put my name and candidate number since they changed the front page.

I don't know what to do now, lads. I don't think it's possible for me to get into uni unless I somehow get full marks in both FP2 and S2.
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
I got that, everyone else is getting different answers so I don't even know. How did you find the paper over all?

I differentiated ln(x+y) and got dydx/(x+y) rather than dydx+1/x+y I think
It was very difficult
Original post by Qcomber
You will probably lose 2 or 3 of the 4 marks available. I messed up that question as i also managed to integrate wrong.

Same lol fml
Reply 478
That exam was quite ridiculous compared to all the past papers. I thought that some of the maths was quite fun like (cosa+sina)^2= 1+root3/2
But some was just ridiculously hard. Like I don't think I did very well on that polar coordinates question that converted it into Cartesian. For that question did anyone get the transformation as 4 in positive X axis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
54 enough for a B?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending