The Student Room Group

WJEC C1 - May 18th 2016

Scroll to see replies

Compared to last years paper this was a piece of piss. I say this as someone resitting. Only this means higher grade boundaries :/
Original post by Jack1066
I had 5 - root 13

it was 65 - something root 13 over 13

both terms were divisible by 13

BTW was it root 13? I thought it was root 14? I cant remember but either way I got 5 - root whatever.

M I had as -7

The min/max value was almost identical to a question from a few years ago so was really nice. I got 200m cubed as the answer (x=2)

The only question I struggled on was drawing the graph (part c) of the completing the square and simultaneous equations. My diagram looked like a mess

Yeah sorry it was root 14.

For part c of completing the square, do you think you would have needed to show the x intersects in the diagram? Did it say like 'with your findings from part b' or did it also say part a, I do not recall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PedanticStudent
Yeah sorry it was root 14.

For part c of completing the square, do you think you would have needed to show the x intersects in the diagram? Did it say like 'with your findings from part b' or did it also say part a, I do not recall.

It said part a and b
Reply 23
Much easier paper than last years (and I know that as a resitter). Easier than what we probably expected but I wouldn't get overly worried about mega high boundaries because I know there have been many C1 papers easier than that in the past.

I'm going for:
A - 60
B - 54
C- 46
D - 39
What did you all get for the gradient in the first question?:tongue: I swear I ****ed it right up! And yeah it was root 14, not 13:smile:
Original post by PedanticStudent
Do you remember what you got for M in question 1?

I feel like I've got 70+

I got 65 - root 13 for the surd, wbu?

-7 for m. I also got 65 - √13 well done!
Anyone get M=0?
Original post by FusionNetworks
-7 for m. I also got 65 - √13 well done!

Wasnt the surd over 13? So 65/13 = 5

So I got 5- root 14

So I got 5- root 14

Yeah I did get that, forgot to say over 13.

So I got 5- root 14

That's what I got!:biggrin: What did you get for the gradient on the first question?
Original post by SoundBass
That's what I got!:biggrin: What did you get for the gradient on the first question?

I hate that too!! I had 1/2 for the gradient I think for the very first part
Original post by jonb365
Much easier paper than last years (and I know that as a resitter). Easier than what we probably expected but I wouldn't get overly worried about mega high boundaries because I know there have been many C1 papers easier than that in the past.

I'm going for:
A - 60
B - 54
C- 46
D - 39

I reckon they'd be a couple of marks lower due to the couple of questions that are new. Wjec has been predictable for years and years, it's only since last year that they are tending to put a spin on things. Then again, last year should have been the wake up call so maybe they will justify it due to this.

The 2015 paper's boundaries dropped like a stone so let's hope that this paper will also see maybe two or three, maybe four marks removed. (last year it was 9 marks)
Has that Welsh school who always release an unofficial mark scheme uploaded it anywhere yet???
Original post by ColdConversation
Has that Welsh school who always release an unofficial mark scheme uploaded it anywhere yet???

Was not aware of such a school. If anybody finds it or has a copy of the paper, could they upload it? :biggrin:
Decent paper! So much better than last year but that also means the grade boundaries are likely to be fairly high.. I think I lost 2 marks whilst trying to find the m value, 2 marks for f(2.25) and 2 marks on the last question as I lost time so couldn't put the value back in! Don't think I lost more than 10 though so hopefully should get an A.
Reply 35
Original post by BubbleLover98
Decent paper! So much better than last year but that also means the grade boundaries are likely to be fairly high.. I think I lost 2 marks whilst trying to find the m value, 2 marks for f(2.25) and 2 marks on the last question as I lost time so couldn't put the value back in! Don't think I lost more than 10 though so hopefully should get an A.

Losing 10 marks would definitely get you that A. As has been said, you'd probably need approximately 58/59 for an A (given that the paper was slightly more challenging than the general C1 paper (although seemed very nice when compared with last year's paper!).

I found the m value I think although I lost a mark or 2 around that question, 1 mark on the f(2.25), 1 mark on the last one and for some reason I had a complete mind blank on the inequality which is frustrating. Probably lost a few other marks elsewhere but hope for I high B/A.
waiting on some sort of unofficial mark scheme xD
Reply 37
Anyone got an unofficial mark scheme?
What did you guys get for the equation of the line DB i think it was? for some reason I really couldn't do it :colondollar:
Reply 39
Original post by broganrogers
What did you guys get for the equation of the line DB i think it was? for some reason I really couldn't do it :colondollar:

Think that was the one near the start worth 1/2 marks before the finding m question.

I agree with you. Strangely I struggled on that and got something algebraic :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending