The Student Room Group

OCR (non mei) M2 Wednesday 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

For the last part to the last question, did P have no horizontal velocity and after the collision? Because the question said it just fell vertically or something, allowing us to use e to find the speed of Q (horizontally), right?
Original post by Abscissa
For the last part to the last question, did P have no horizontal velocity and after the collision? Because the question said it just fell vertically or something, allowing us to use e to find the speed of Q (horizontally), right?

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. it said "Immediately after the collision P falls vertically." So yeah, I think it is a correct assumption.
Original post by Miningstew
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. it said "Immediately after the collision P falls vertically." So yeah, I think it is a correct assumption.

There is a god, THERE IS A GOD, I REPEAT, THERE IS A ****ING GOD.
What did you get for the horizontal speed of Q at the start, 19 something? I forget
There is a god, THERE IS A GOD, I REPEAT, THERE IS A ****ING GOD.
What did you get for the horizontal speed of Q at the start, 19 something? I forget

I got 5.6m/s before collision, then 15.6 m/s afterwards.
I need the Hitler reacts video to heal my pain. Anyone know if it's up somewhere yet?
Reply 125
Original post by Muzzles
Xsanda’s solutions:

1) Car on a plane:
i) v = 22.5 m/s
ii) P = 35.9 kW

2) Particle up a plane:
i) Wd = 8.43 J
ii) v = 10.8 m/s

3 Arch shape:
i) show that: 13a/3π
ii) T = 8.82 N
iii) θ = 10.9º left of upwards vertical

4 Particle around a cone:
i) show that m/6 (2 sqrt3 g - 3 a ω²)
ii) T = 39.6N, V =1.19 m/s

5 Ladder:
i) show that 5W/24 (1+6x/a)
ii) max x = 1.7a
iii) tan = 39/14

6 collisions horizontally:
i) a: 5.5 m/s, b: 8 m/s, both in opposite direction to their original motion
ii) e=3/4

7 projectiles:
i) 18.8m high, 61.1 m AB
ii) 87.3 Ns
iii) 11.9 m

I agree with most of this accept Q5 iii) which I think should be tan(a)=12/5 and Q6 ii) is not exactly e=3/4 as this is calculated from the rounded values in the previous part, however I doubt anyone can remember the actual value. Good work overall though, props to you for remembering all of this.

Does anyone know what the mark breakdown was ?
Original post by Fp3
Does anyone know what the mark breakdown was ?

Check the previous page :smile:
I was talking to Muzzles and what I mean is that xsandas solution for tan(a) = 39/14 is correct. for 5 (iii)

F = uR = 1/3 * 7W = 7/3 W

M(A) 6W * 2 cos(a) + W * 1 cos(a) = 2 * Fsin(a) = 2 * 7/3W sin(a) = 14/3W sin(a)

13W cos (a) = 14/3 W sin(a)

tan(a) = 13W / (7/3) W = 39/14
Reply 128
Hey folks, a few questions and thoughts. This was by far the trickiest M2 paper I have done, despite me knowing how to do most questions. I ****ed up the tension in 3 part 2, but I am pretty sure I got the method right in part 3, would I still get marks for that? Also how many of you finished? I got to the last part of question 7, fully knowing what to do, and my time ran out! Really pissed me off because I lost 9 marks for nothing ;( For some reason I spent more than normal time on some 3 markers.
Would somebody mind explaining for me what the UMS requirements are for A* in Maths and A* in Further Maths? In maths, do I simply need to get an A overall, then 90 UMS average in C3 C4, and for further maths, do I simply need an A overall, and 90 UMS average over 3 of my A2 modules (I'm taking M2, S2, FP2, FP3). So, in the case that I did not get 90 UMS in M2 (but got an A), then it would be wise to make M2 my normal maths module, so I have C3 C4 M2, then, I simply need 90 UMS average over c3 c4. And then for further maths I will have FP2 FP3 S2, for which I need 90 UMS average across, correct?
Has anyone got the details for question 2(ii)? Like the speef at B, the distance AB and the angle
Original post by TheBride
I need the Hitler reacts video to heal my pain. Anyone know if it's up somewhere yet?

I don't have a channel, but if anyone wants to do us all a favour.

http://downfall.jfedor.org/

First exam and already rip FM A*, why OCR why?!, unless I'm godlike in FP2, 3 and S2.
Reply 132
Would somebody mind explaining for me what the UMS requirements are for A* in Maths and A* in Further Maths? In maths, do I simply need to get an A overall, then 90 UMS average in C3 C4, and for further maths, do I simply need an A overall, and 90 UMS average over 3 of my A2 modules (I'm taking M2, S2, FP2, FP3). So, in the case that I did not get 90 UMS in M2 (but got an A), then it would be wise to make M2 my normal maths module, so I have C3 C4 M2, then, I simply need 90 UMS average over c3 c4. And then for further maths I will have FP2 FP3 S2, for which I need 90 UMS average across, correct?

Correct, that's what I am doing. I got 98 in S2 and well...less in M2 so I am pretty sure you can switch em around.
Reply 133

Wait, you can switch em around right?
Original post by 16characterlimit
I don't have a channel, but if anyone wants to do us all a favour.

http://downfall.jfedor.org/

First exam and already rip FM A*, why OCR why?!, unless I'm godlike in FP2, 3 and S2.

Will give it a go later XD
Original post by TheBride
Will give it a go later XD

Lool let me know when its up
Reply 136
Original post by John Snow2
This was mad hard! A violation of the geneva convention imo.
I've been get 68-72 in all past papers but this... I didnt finish last question.
I got e = 1/72 but i think thats wrong.
The semicircular C.O.M. Question anyone: Were they wired arcs or a full on lamina? I never got the final answer :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, it was a lamina.

I read it as arcs too and went through it twice before I noticed it said lamina.
Reply 139
Paper wasn't particularly difficult, no fundamentally new questions, just old questions with new numbers and a different perspective. Just the timing was very tight, the ladder and KE-lost-collision questions required way more time than the marks they were worth would suggest. Got 69 or 70/72, depends how many marks I lost on 5(iii) for writing arctan(39/14)=70.3' rather than tan(alpha)=39/14. Surprised so many people reckon 60/72 for 90UMS, thought it'd be 65 or so, hopefully I'm wrong and everyelse is right though. Just depends on how many struggled with the timing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending