The Student Room Group

Feel like i'm aiming for unrealistic grades tbh

I didn't revise for my mocks and most of my grades were B/C's

I have been revising for these GCSE exams but definitely not as much as I should have being as I'm aiming to get 7A*, 1A and 3 B's - had to change these from 6A*'s and 4A's because of exams I have recently taken and not felt confident about.

I'm not extremely stressed about exams but I don't have much faith in myself either.
I've had a lot of serious family and motivation to revise issues lately and I feel like it's affected me badly. I just really don't know how gcse results day is going to turn out for me and all my friends, family and people around me in general think i'm going to get like 11A*'s (especially my mum because she sees me revising in the night and thinks i'm working hard when little does she know that it's all last minute revision)

Are the grades I'm hoping to get realistic? can I still achieve this even with basically last minute revision? (mostly talking about subjects like maths and English lit)

sorry if my writing doesn't make any sense. I'm half asleep and basically on the verge of running away/giving up/crying/committing suicide lol

Scroll to see replies

My god every single word in this paragraph I can relate even the mock grades and my own expectation of 8A* and 2A and one B.Bro like yesterday before bio and chem I crammed in all my revision my parents think I'm bashing out for my gcses but tbh im getting distracted on my laptop everyday like now while I'm writing this and playing league in the background my parents think I'm revising. But I have to come to learn that most of my friends are doing basically the exact same thing. But I know how you feel for some reason my brain just doesn't seem to take this seriously.
Don't sweat it. A great formula I found for getting an accurate picture of what you'll get in your exam is ExamGrade= MockGrade-20%. So if you get 75 in your mocks, 75x0.8.
This really I've tried it multiple times in my exams and it was really close. So if you're getting B/Cs, don't expect an A*. Don't worry about it though, it'll probably blow over in like a month and everyone will forget about it. Try your best, and tell you mom that you probably won't get an A/A*, it'll remove the unrealistic aspect. Lower your expectation, do a B can seem pretty good. :smile:
Reply 3
I relate so much - i was going for mostly A* at the start of the year and now im expecting mostly A's - if that. Family/friend pressure doesnt help either i know.
to be honest i think all we can do is sit and wait and try not to worry too much until the results day.
i also feel like a lot of exams so far this year have been particularly hard and i think maybe grade boundaries will be lower?
Im just trying to stay positive bc the more you stress you may likely mess up in an exam - hope for the best!
im sure you'll achieve your potential - and if ypour results dont relfect it then theres always retakes? Hope this helps :smile:
I've been getting A*s in Chemistry, which is tomorrow btw. So I wholly expect an A. Always expect a grade lower than what your getting in your mocks, not higher.
Same boat.
Aiming for 12A*s and 2As.
Done everything the day before
:frown:
Reply 6
saaaame I've been predicted 12A*s and I'm here waiting to let everyone down:')

kind of jokes but kind of not

it's alllll about the cram now. Should I have started revising earlier? Probably. Does it help to fret about it? NO BECAUSE RN YOU COULD BE DOIN THAT PRECIOUS WORK MANNN

GO GO GO CRAMMERS, SHOW THE WORLLD WHAT WE'RE CAPABLE OF!
Original post by PC.police
I've been getting A*s in Chemistry, which is tomorrow btw. So I wholly expect an A. Always expect a grade lower than what your getting in your mocks, not higher.

Why aim lower if you're actually revising for these?
Original post by 99Qwerty99
Why aim lower if you're actually revising for these?

You lose a mark from being stressed out, which you wouldn't be normally. Examiners mark your work very rigourously, so missing out a key word will make you lose a mark. In the exam enviroment, you feel intimated, which again, can lead to the loss of marks.
Also, expecting lower is priming you to expect the worst. So when you get a grade higher, it feels way better.
Reply 9
Original post by PC.police
Don't sweat it. A great formula I found for getting an accurate picture of what you'll get in your exam is ExamGrade= MockGrade-20%. So if you get 75 in your mocks, 75x0.8.
This really I've tried it multiple times in my exams and it was really close. So if you're getting B/Cs, don't expect an A*. Don't worry about it though, it'll probably blow over in like a month and everyone will forget about it. Try your best, and tell you mom that you probably won't get an A/A*, it'll remove the unrealistic aspect. Lower your expectation, do a B can seem pretty good. :smile:

So no matter how much I revise now, i'll never get those A*'s?
Original post by fishandrice
So no matter how much I revise now, i'll never get those A*'s?

No fish You will it's just it's not just you bro it's everyone see? Revise practice =A* and well it's true about losing some marks due to stress but it's fine so will people around you.
I guess these are the perks of not being predicted high results. :ahee:
Everyone expects me to get B's and C's, little do they know I wasn't trying in their homeworks, although I got A/A* in the mock :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
I didn't revise for my mocks and most of my grades were B/C's

I have been revising for these GCSE exams but definitely not as much as I should have being as I'm aiming to get 7A*, 1A and 3 B's - had to change these from 6A*'s and 4A's because of exams I have recently taken and not felt confident about.

I'm not extremely stressed about exams but I don't have much faith in myself either.
I've had a lot of serious family and motivation to revise issues lately and I feel like it's affected me badly. I just really don't know how gcse results day is going to turn out for me and all my friends, family and people around me in general think i'm going to get like 11A*'s (especially my mum because she sees me revising in the night and thinks i'm working hard when little does she know that it's all last minute revision)

Are the grades I'm hoping to get realistic? can I still achieve this even with basically last minute revision? (mostly talking about subjects like maths and English lit)

sorry if my writing doesn't make any sense. I'm half asleep and basically on the verge of running away/giving up/crying/committing suicide lol

Omg you're literally me. I know exactly how you feel. I think even if you are revising a little bit the grades can be achievable if you already have knowledge from before, because revision is just recapping. I know what you mean because after my bio exam my confidence dropped. But I think if you just do your best you'll be able to get the grades you're aiming for, just try to be confident and relax (I know it's hard though:/)
don't worry! not to undermine your struggles, but the actual content of GCSEs isn't too bad, it can just be so overwhelming having so many exams! You did well in your mocks for not having revised! I did similarly, revised only on the day of the exam and got all A's (not bragging, but maybe my experience will be useful for you). Personally, i found that doing revision just before the objective papers (maths, sciences, ICT etc.) was enough - i found flashcards critical to last minute revision! But for the subjective papers (english, history etc.) i found it was nowhere near enough time and i really struggled. This obviously depends on what subjects you do and what your strengths are, but i can assure you the one thing that won't help you is that mindset! just remember: you can't change anything now. all you can do is improve your grade in comparison to where you are now. you've got this :smile:
Original post by abcdeffy
don't worry! not to undermine your struggles, but the actual content of GCSEs isn't too bad, it can just be so overwhelming having so many exams! You did well in your mocks for not having revised! I did similarly, revised only on the day of the exam and got all A's (not bragging, but maybe my experience will be useful for you). Personally, i found that doing revision just before the objective papers (maths, sciences, ICT etc.) was enough - i found flashcards critical to last minute revision! But for the subjective papers (english, history etc.) i found it was nowhere near enough time and i really struggled. This obviously depends on what subjects you do and what your strengths are, but i can assure you the one thing that won't help you is that mindset! just remember: you can't change anything now. all you can do is improve your grade in comparison to where you are now. you've got this :smile:

thank you so much <3, I'll definitely be giving it my all now, i'm going to put in as much hard work as I possibly can!
Original post by avatar1000
My god every single word in this paragraph I can relate even the mock grades and my own expectation of 8A* and 2A and one B.Bro like yesterday before bio and chem I crammed in all my revision my parents think I'm bashing out for my gcses but tbh im getting distracted on my laptop everyday like now while I'm writing this and playing league in the background my parents think I'm revising. But I have to come to learn that most of my friends are doing basically the exact same thing. But I know how you feel for some reason my brain just doesn't seem to take this seriously.

Original post by gameofno
Omg you're literally me. I know exactly how you feel. I think even if you are revising a little bit the grades can be achievable if you already have knowledge from before, because revision is just recapping. I know what you mean because after my bio exam my confidence dropped. But I think if you just do your best you'll be able to get the grades you're aiming for, just try to be confident and relax (I know it's hard though:/)

Really comforting to know that I'm not alone :smile:
I'm just going to try my HARDEST now and see the outcome, I can only learn from my mistakes
Original post by Bulletzone
I guess these are the perks of not being predicted high results. :ahee:
Everyone expects me to get B's and C's, little do they know I wasn't trying in their homeworks, although I got A/A* in the mock :colonhash:

Great grades :smile:
btw, did you get my pm?
Great grades :smile:
btw, did you get my pm?

No, You have not sent me a Pm.
for my mocks, i got 5 A*s, 1 A, 3 Bs and 2 Cs with honestly fvck all revision. i'm predicted full A*s though i'm expecting 8 A*s and 3 As, which is fine by me because i know that for these GCSEs, i actually have revised and put in so much effort towards them so if that's the highest i think i can personally achieve, then that is what i am aiming for. whoever's saying 'expect the lower grade', literally what sort of mindset is that? if you put yourself down then you're going into tests with a complacent mood because you've told yourself to expect Bs and Cs when you know you could get A*s so why bother being pessimistic instead of just cheering yourself on
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by erikamae
for my mocks, i got 5 A*s, 1 A, 3 Bs and 2 Cs with honestly fvck all revision. i'm predicted full A*s though i'm expecting 8 A*s and 3 As, which is fine by me because i know that for these GCSEs, i actually have revised and put in so much effort towards them so if that's the highest i think i can personally achieve, then that is what i am aiming for. whoever's saying 'expect the lower grade', literally what sort of mindset is that? if you put yourself down then you're going into tests with a complacent mood because you've told yourself to expect Bs and Cs when you know you could get A*s so why bother being pessimistic instead of just cheering yourself on

Thanks, I've got a revision plan for this half term and I know exactly where my weaknesses are and how to work on them !

One thing that put me off a couple days ago was when someone in school said to me "It wouldn't be fair for someone who has been revising since the beginning of the year to get similar grades to someone that's been revising last minute" - I understand what they meant but everyone has different learning styles and approaches right? 5 hours of revision everyday after school may work for some but not all :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest