The Student Room Group

I want an A star in Maths GCSE? Can you help?

The non-calculator Edexcel higher exam is in a week. I am currently a B grade student, in my papers I get 1-5 marks off of an A every time. I need an A*. Could someone please give me life saving advice? I really need an A* , I am doing Maths for A-level. I have a list of topics I need to revise and go through, but in 7 days is it possible to go from high B to just brushing an A*? Any last minute thoughtful advice would be so helpful. I study a lot already, I definitely have the passion - but maybe not the time? Any advice, any tips, guidance, website links. ANYTHING. I am unfortunately desperate.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what sort of questions do you lose marks on? Are they at the end of the paper (a*) or elsewhere
Reply 2
https://www.mymaths.co.uk

If you have been given a login by your school for this, I would use this. There are A/A* booster packs on here to help you with high level maths (If you haven't been given one, ask for one! This is very useful!!!)

http://www.mathedup.co.uk/classes/10n2/gcse-maths-takeaway/

Past paper questions on all topics are here plus answers :smile:
Reply 3
Make sure you aren't losing easy marks. On my practice papers, I get all marks from 1-15, which can be up to about 50 marks. All i need then is about 30 from the remaining, but harder, questions. I would recommend you also revise topics that you see popping up with lots of marks available, especially the last few ones.
https://hegartymaths.com/ - Thank me later :smile:
Reply 5
If your school has given you access to www.methodmaths.com/ then use it like crazy between now and then, that's how I moved up from a high C to a low A* :smile:
Sometimes you'll find that you can get the correct answer all the time on papers but then lose marks on method marks. I'm a B grade student too and happy with where I am, as it took lots of getting used to the Edexcel papers to get where I am and had external help too. I was encouraged in Year 9 that as I developed confidence with calculations, to slowly take out steps so my method is clear and simpler. However, I've begun to notice that this isn't helpful at all. You have to write EVERYTHING. Even if you do 2-1 in your head, write it all down. You can pick up marks and looking out for that is really good too.

I know mymaths has been suggested before, but I despise it and so do my friends. It only checks if your answer is correct, not your method. Which means you can get into really bad habits of skipping key stages of working out. I find mrbartonmaths.co.uk (or.com?) useful too, the maths takeaway has each module broken down with a 3 page paper and answers are included. I use this to check to see where I tend to go astray with my method. However, my computer detects viruses on it so I advise you to be careful if you don't have a virus software installed.

I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 7
Original post by hirahassan
what sort of questions do you lose marks on? Are they at the end of the paper (a*) or elsewhere

Usually questions at the end of the paper put me off. The A and A* questions seem to lower my mark I believe. Things like recurring decimals, vectors, bearings, quadratic factorization etc. I have a list of topics to improve on, just need some solid advice to help me.

Thanks for your reply!
Reply 8
Original post by Andy-22
https://www.mymaths.co.uk

If you have been given a login by your school for this, I would use this. There are A/A* booster packs on here to help you with high level maths (If you haven't been given one, ask for one! This is very useful!!!)

http://www.mathedup.co.uk/classes/10n2/gcse-maths-takeaway/

Past paper questions on all topics are here plus answers :smile:

I believe I do have a log in for mymaths, I will definitely check it out! Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by Popz-
Make sure you aren't losing easy marks. On my practice papers, I get all marks from 1-15, which can be up to about 50 marks. All i need then is about 30 from the remaining, but harder, questions. I would recommend you also revise topics that you see popping up with lots of marks available, especially the last few ones.

Yes, I do think that would be the best way forward? As I seem to lose petty marks on simple things due to the fact I answer questions quite fast! I'll go through my past exam papers and go through 5 mark questions?
Original post by xEmilyxx
Sometimes you'll find that you can get the correct answer all the time on papers but then lose marks on method marks. I'm a B grade student too and happy with where I am, as it took lots of getting used to the Edexcel papers to get where I am and had external help too. I was encouraged in Year 9 that as I developed confidence with calculations, to slowly take out steps so my method is clear and simpler. However, I've begun to notice that this isn't helpful at all. You have to write EVERYTHING. Even if you do 2-1 in your head, write it all down. You can pick up marks and looking out for that is really good too.

I know mymaths has been suggested before, but I despise it and so do my friends. It only checks if your answer is correct, not your method. Which means you can get into really bad habits of skipping key stages of working out. I find mrbartonmaths.co.uk (or.com?) useful too, the maths takeaway has each module broken down with a 3 page paper and answers are included. I use this to check to see where I tend to go astray with my method. However, my computer detects viruses on it so I advise you to be careful if you don't have a virus software installed.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for taking your time to reply, I honestly appreciate it so much! I will definitely use BartonMaths! I also developed confidence at the end of year 9. Went from a D/ low C grade student to quite a high B now in the space of a month due to learning all the E, D, C and most of the B grade criteria. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take it on board!
Reply 11
Original post by SCIENCEISA
Yes, I do think that would be the best way forward? As I seem to lose petty marks on simple things due to the fact I answer questions quite fast! I'll go through my past exam papers and go through 5 mark questions?

My school gives us past papers and most kids spend time doing all the questions they know. The only reason I've done well in my recent mocks is that I go through every single question and look at the mark scheme, where i've gone wrong etc. We know the questions that will come up, it's just what format they'll come up in.
Original post by Knockingpoint
https://hegartymaths.com/ - Thank me later :smile:

haha. I'll check it out and thank you if it helps me, which i'm sure it will. Cheers for the link.
Reply 13
Try revising and practicing the A* topics. I think (not completely sure u should google it) these include things like vectors, circle theorems surds etc. (theres plenty more - google). These are the higher mark topics that always are thrown in at the end of the paper and really make the difference between an A and A*.
Of course also be very careful you dont miss out easy marks by rushing the nice questions on the paper
maybe you could do a past paper, note down the topics you lost marks on and watch youtube vids/look at a textbook/do more practise of those?
I find with maths practice is the most important part of achieveing a higher grade!
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by CaptErin
If your school has given you access to www.methodmaths.com/ then use it like crazy between now and then, that's how I moved up from a high C to a low A* :smile:

Woah! Really? Guessing I'll be using method maths then! Trust me i've thrown away my social life for these few months - so i'll have time to use it like crazy hahaha.
Original post by lou2471
Try revising and practicing the A* topics. I think (not completely sure u should google it) these include things like vectors, circle theorems surds etc. (theres plenty more - google). These are the higher mark topics that always are thrown in at the end of the paper and really make the difference between an A and A*.
Of course also be very careful you dont miss out easy marks by rushing the nice questions on the paper
maybe you could do a past paper, note down the topics you lost marks on and watch youtube vids/look at a textbook/do more practise of those?
I find with maths practice is the most important part of achieveing a higher grade!
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you very much for your reply. I have got a list my teacher has made for each one of us with the topics in Maths, which are colour co-ordinated to red (immediate help needed), yellow (revise it more), and green (you are good at this). My teacher made this based on our recent mocks. I didn't really know how to approach each topic as I end up spending hours on one topic. I am familiar with the A* topics I need to go over - just really don't know how to approach it. I will definitely watch YouTube videos and go over past papers I have missed marks on.
Again, thank you.
Thank you very much for your reply. I have got a list my teacher has made for each one of us with the topics in Maths, which are colour co-ordinated to red (immediate help needed), yellow (revise it more), and green (you are good at this). My teacher made this based on our recent mocks. I didn't really know how to approach each topic as I end up spending hours on one topic. I am familiar with the A* topics I need to go over - just really don't know how to approach it. I will definitely watch YouTube videos and go over past papers I have missed marks on.
Again, thank you.

I highly recommend mathsgenie, because it helped me with the A/A* topics that I was stuck on and they have exam questions with detailed solutions and videos that explain how they work.
I like to use MathsGenie as it has topic by topic questions that you can use to practise

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/grade2.html
Reply 18
Practise the subjects you fall down on.... a really useful website I found is
https://corbettmaths.com/ - Literally has every single possible question with a video on how to do it and a mark scheme to check your answer. Good luck :smile:
Reply 19
Again, thank you.

okay so approaching each topic tips (idk if theyll work for you - everyone is different you know)
-try doing a practice question or two on the topic then try and see a model answer for the question or a step-by-step guide on how to do the type of question to identify where you have gone wrong. Then do another practice keeping in mind where you went wrong last time and repeat the process until you can do the topic
-alternatively, read up about the topic/question type (again i highly suggest youtube - some really good stuff and they often show examples you can try yourself then get the answer to) and then try and do a few questions

those are the two ways i try to learn maths stuff quickly

although past papers are helpful (and i do recommend doing a few), doing them continuously can be time consuming and dont often allow you to focus on key areas you need to revise. might be better to just print off questions from past papers you know you struggle with.

good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest