The Student Room Group

CIE A levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Coolmeechy
You need to knwo the basics of the Holocaust. Once you know that, learn the different perspectives. Mainly the structuralist and intentionalist (and just know the 'synthesis' approach). Also be aware of the holocaust deniers and relativists although I dont think there will be questions from that.

For the exam, the question is always "What can you learn from this extract about the interpretation and approach of the historian who wrote it? Use the extract and your knowledge of the Holocaust to explain your answer."

So basically first read the extract twice. Understand the perspective. Is it structuralist or intentionalist?
Then start the essay with a general introduction on the topic. Prepare this before hand. Like 2-3 lines. On what the holocaust was, how it is one of the most horrific events in history..killing around 6 million Jews etc.In the next para, or as part of the intro, mention how there are mainly two perspectives in this and brielfy explain this. Also suggest a few names of historians from each of these perspectives.Then say what perspective you think the historian who wrote the text is.In the following paragraphs, quote evidence from the extract which shows the historian's perspective (this will be easy once u understand the difference between structuralists and intentionalists.) and just explain. Wherever necessary, add you knowledge about the holocaust as well.P.s I dont know if this is the best essay structure but it's what i practiced. Anyone who knows more about this paper, please comment and share your views.

Hey that does sound like a legit structure - if its what's suggested by your teacher then I do think it's good!
I was wondering do you know how the marking works? I mean I know that 80% of a paper is A, but how do grade boundaries play into it? And is it possible to get full marks in the papers?
Reply 41
Original post by hilrho
Hey that does sound like a legit structure - if its what's suggested by your teacher then I do think it's good!
I was wondering do you know how the marking works? I mean I know that 80% of a paper is A, but how do grade boundaries play into it? And is it possible to get full marks in the papers?

I am not too sure about the marking actually. But the overall grade depends on the grade threshold which varies each time. The papers though have the set weighting to the overall marks as given in the syllabus:
Paper 1 20%
Paper 2 30%
Paper 3 20%
Paper 4 30%
It is possible to get full marks for papers but your answers have to be reeeally good for that.
Reply 42
I am not too sure about the marking actually. But the overall grade depends on the grade threshold which varies each time. The papers though have the set weighting to the overall marks as given in the syllabus:
Paper 1 20%
Paper 2 30%
Paper 3 20%
Paper 4 30%
It is possible to get full marks for papers but your answers have to be reeeally good for that.

So say I get 15 out 40 in the first paper which is 15% at AS and 7% in A2 but the Grade boundary for 15 is at C (which is 60%) - what does that mean for me? I hope I'm making sense and not confusing you
Reply 43
Original post by hilrho
So say I get 15 out 40 in the first paper which is 15% at AS and 7% in A2 but the Grade boundary for 15 is at C (which is 60%) - what does that mean for me? I hope I'm making sense and not confusing you

That is actually confusing... basically you get like 7.5 marks to your overall A2 grade. which like saying you have 7.5 out of 100 now. Theres 80 marks left for you to get for your final grade through the other exams.
Now is this mroe confusing lol?
Reply 44
That is actually confusing... basically you get like 7.5 marks to your overall A2 grade. which like saying you have 7.5 out of 100 now. Theres 80 marks left for you to get for your final grade through the other exams.
Now is this mroe confusing lol?

Haha no I kind of figured that out on my own but what I'm concerned with is how grade boundaries play into it? like what would say 50/100 mean for my A2 grade if the grade boundary for say B is 50 - do you get what I'm saying?
Reply 45
Original post by hilrho
Haha no I kind of figured that out on my own but what I'm concerned with is how grade boundaries play into it? like what would say 50/100 mean for my A2 grade if the grade boundary for say B is 50 - do you get what I'm saying?

I am not sure. Are you asking whether you will get a B or a C in such a case?
Reply 46
I am not sure. Are you asking whether you will get a B or a C in such a case?

Yup that's what I was asking.

Also how prepared are you for exam day after tomorrow? Do you have any model answer you've done for a past paper on Paper 3 that you can perhaps share?
Edit: One that's perhaps your best answer and graded by your teacher please☺️
Reply 47
Original post by hilrho
Yup that's what I was asking.

Also how prepared are you for exam day after tomorrow? Do you have any model answer you've done for a past paper on Paper 3 that you can perhaps share?
Edit: One that's perhaps your best answer and graded by your teacher please☺️

If you get a 50 and 50 is the threshold for B, it means it is the minimum mark required to get a B. So you will get a B.

I'll put two up. Those are answers I wrote for my mock exams. I dont know how good they are. Hope it helps.
Reply 48
This is an essay by Timothy Dylan Geschwindt of University of Cape Town that our teacher gave us to read. I think it's helpful to understand the concepts even though it's not an answer to a paper 3 question.
(Sorry they're not the right side up. Maybe you can download and rotate and then read? :/)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
This was my first mock. So I dont know if my teacher was liberal with 32/40 mark. In her remarks she asks me to explain intentionalism and structuralism because i didnt do that.
Since this holocaust paper is new. The question paper was made by my teacher. It is not an official cambridge sample.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
This is my Mock 2 answer. My teacher told me it was a good answer. i got a 30 on 40.
Reply 52
If you get a 50 and 50 is the threshold for B, it means it is the minimum mark required to get a B. So you will get a B.

I'll put two up. Those are answers I wrote for my mock exams. I dont know how good they are. Hope it helps.

Ooh so the grade boundary for A* last year was 152/200 for all 4 papers combined so even if I got like 58 combined in the first two papers if I get near full marks in the A2 papers I could get an A*??? :biggrin:

By the way thank you so much for uploading all the papers! :smile: Did you do a mock for last year's past paper?? June 2015?
Reply 53
Original post by hilrho
By the way thank you so much for uploading all the papers! :smile: Did you do a mock for last year's past paper?? June 2015?

You're welcome :smile:
I never wrote the answers to that actually. I got the papers and I've seen the markscheme (my teacher showed us) but that's it. I remember one of the variants was of Goldhagen's perspective. That the holocaust was a german phenomenon and that the ordinary Germans at the time were 'willing executioners'. We are not required to identify the author but this perspective was mainly just his. So I think it would be good to know his theory and if the exam extract is similar mention taht it is similar to his perspective.

Do you have any answers btw? Or any resources you can share with me?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Please make sure you know the history of anti-semitism also. The blood libels and crusaders and all that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Please make sure you know the history of anti-semitism also. The blood libels and crusaders and all that.

Hi sorry! I only just logged on today. If it makes you feel any better my exam went terrible ... I don't even know if what I wrote was correct. And I'm such an idiot I wrote it supports 'historian' Arendt's view - she's a philosopher who simply comments o the holocaust. I'm so so stupid!!! And then I wrote it took the functionalist approach.. I don't even know if thats the case? I also wrote the Big Message of the extract was that the jewish leaders were responsible for gathering the Jews to Eastern Europe and then their eventual extermination. I'm freaking out - How did your exam go?
Reply 56
Original post by hilrho
Hi sorry! I only just logged on today. If it makes you feel any better my exam went terrible ... I don't even know if what I wrote was correct. And I'm such an idiot I wrote it supports 'historian' Arendt's view - she's a philosopher who simply comments o the holocaust. I'm so so stupid!!! And then I wrote it took the functionalist approach.. I don't even know if thats the case? I also wrote the Big Message of the extract was that the jewish leaders were responsible for gathering the Jews to Eastern Europe and then their eventual extermination. I'm freaking out - How did your exam go?

Hey..no that's okay. Why would that make me feel better? lol i found it difficult too. my friends found it hard too. My essay was messed up. And yea we all wrote it was the functionalist. I didnt write about the 'big mesage'. Let's just pray the threshold will be low this time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone did Section C: Origins of the Cold War? I am still struggling to understand wether it was revisionist or post revisionist, with some revisionist elements. Anyone did the same? My timezone is the European one, the numbers end in 2 if that helps
Hey..no that's okay. Why would that make me feel better? lol i found it difficult too. my friends found it hard too. My essay was messed up. And yea we all wrote it was the functionalist. I didnt write about the 'big mesage'. Let's just pray the threshold will be low this time.

What variant was your paper?
Reply 59

By you feeling better I just just know you're not alone in this and someone else mucked up the paper too :smile: - Not that I was claiming you'd feel better to know I mucked up, just that you're not alone if you get what I mean? :h:

Yes! My essay was pretty messed up too, the structure I practiced at home I did NOT follow in the exam and I don't think I truly analysed anything, simply stated stuff and I don't think I used too much background knowledge - I am SO stressed. What if we all just did bad but people form other countries did great so the thresholds will be high or 'normal'?! :eek: How many pages did you write mate?

I'm thinking if I should not sit for Paper 4, appear absent, do essay practice throughout summer or something and apply with predicted grades and then sit the exams in October? Do you think I should do that or go ahead sit the paper? Because I'd like to apply to Oxford and the require As and I'm just scared and getting anxiety that I'll end up with a C or something in the total paper which isn't gunna look good and then I'd have to resit which is worse than applying with predicted grades isn't it?

What will you do?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending