The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Computing and Computer Science

Hey there, hope you guys are all fine and good.I just had a few questions....What are the chances that these two courses(in title) may get into Adjustment/clearing?If they do get into clearing then how would the entry requirements be set?Would It be a hindrance for me be able to get in even though I have a B in GCSE maths and I got an E in AS level Mathematics?(due to not working hard enough and not having any motivation or aspirations)If there are any former students who have done this course then it would be great if you could share your experiences on how the course is and how you find the specific modules and what your plans are for the future.
You need a better maths grade. Work hard, nothing comes for free.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Kraixo
You need a better maths grade. Work hard, nothing comes for free.

I regret that maths grade now too but theres not much i can do about it now.:frown:
I've dropped maths at AS levels although my other grades are pretty good. I think Leicester University only specify a B in maths for GCSE so I was asking if my dropped AS level would hinder my chances.

And thank you for the reply and the quote too, I will definitely add that quote on the list of quotes on my wall to motivate me to revise harder.
Original post by TheJammyFox
I regret that maths grade now too but theres not much i can do about it now.:frown:
I've dropped maths at AS levels although my other grades are pretty good. I think Leicester University only specify a B in maths for GCSE so I was asking if my dropped AS level would hinder my chances.

And thank you for the reply and the quote too, I will definitely add that quote on the list of quotes on my wall to motivate me to revise harder.

Sorry mate, your maths needs to be top notch for computer science. I don't want to crush your dreams but its reality. Even if you do get in, you will start posting threads that your depressed and want to leave uni because of the mathematical work load as not even an A* at GCSE maths will suffice never mind a B and that E at As level already says a lot on how serious you are. I am sure someone who has experience with people in your situation can give you much better advice and maybe alternatives.

If you think you can catch up on the maths required at Uni, then I see no problem but you need to find the motivation as Uni has a lot of distractions.

Think hard and realistically.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheJammyFox
Hey there, hope you guys are all fine and good.I just had a few questions....What are the chances that these two courses(in title) may get into Adjustment/clearing?If they do get into clearing then how would the entry requirements be set?Would It be a hindrance for me be able to get in even though I have a B in GCSE maths and I got an E in AS level Mathematics?(due to not working hard enough and not having any motivation or aspirations)If there are any former students who have done this course then it would be great if you could share your experiences on how the course is and how you find the specific modules and what your plans are for the future.

A CompSci lecturer at one of the open days said you don't need to have knowledge of A-Level topics as they teach different stuff, you just need to have the ability to learn what they teach. I've applied as a mature student and got an offer without even the GCSE requirements.

I looked at clearing last year just out of curiosity and both courses were still available.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much James. Made me feel much better ! Hopefully, IL still try my best and strive to get in .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending