The Student Room Group

Is it too late for a career in banking (3rd year no summer internship)?

Hi all,

I study economics (4 year course) at Uni of Exeter (ABB with an A* in EPQ) and I am on course for 2:1 although a 1st is entirely achievable. I have just about finished an industrial placement in a sales team for a big technology company (think Intel/HP etc).

I really want to have a career in the banking industry preferably in a research position. Unfortunately I haven't got a summer internship although I have a few work experience opportunities (shadowing a stock broker and wealth manager).

For next year's summer internship intake what can I do to make myself stand out more e.g. take BAT and CISI courses? more work experience etc?
Original post by naylorc
Hi all,

I study economics (4 year course) at Uni of Exeter (ABB with an A* in EPQ) and I am on course for 2:1 although a 1st is entirely achievable. I have just about finished an industrial placement in a sales team for a big technology company (think Intel/HP etc).

I really want to have a career in the banking industry preferably in a research position. Unfortunately I haven't got a summer internship although I have a few work experience opportunities (shadowing a stock broker and wealth manager).

For next year's summer internship intake what can I do to make myself stand out more e.g. take BAT and CISI courses? more work experience etc?

Apply to internships this fall then.

Don't bother with the BAT/CISI, it's a waste of time and adds 0 value to your profile. It's already pretty decent with ok grades, ok uni, some brand name work experience etc. Just apply and see how it goes.

I'd probably suggest nabbing some leadership experience at a society or even by yourself via organising events/volunteering drives etc. But that's kind of it, you can't do much else apart from that and networking like a demon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thinking about the long-run do you think doing a Masters in finance is advisable if I really want to make it?
Original post by naylorc
Thinking about the long-run do you think doing a Masters in finance is advisable if I really want to make it?

A masters in finance wouldn't add anything you don't already have. You'd still need to apply to internships.

EDIT: I mean if you want to drop £20k+ on an extra qualification that has minimal extra value, go ahead. But frankly, you're better off just going for it without the masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If you can spin your technical sales placement well you should have a chance. Open a dealing account and trade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending