The Student Room Group

Teaching Vs. Tattoos

I'm a second year English/Creative Writing (JHS) and have only recently been interested in the possibility of teaching at a secondary school level. I have five palm-sized tattoos on my upper arm, two of which extend down to my upper-forearm, on my inner and outer elbow. The one on my inner elbow is a Christian cross penetrating the top of a skull. They are fully concealed when I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt, partially (mostly) concealed when wearing roll-sleeved shirts and only fully visible when I'm wearing a short-sleeved shirt.

I've seen teachers with small tattoos before but I'm not sure what to expect at an interview for classroom work experience, as I haven't yet had any classroom experience. Will I be overlooked by my interviewer (or when applying for my PGCE course) for having tattoos? May it damage my chances of being selected for a potential job in the future?

Even if you don't know a right answer, I'd love to hear your personal opinion as to whether teachers should be allowed visible tattoos in the workplace. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any responses.
I work in voluntary aided religious state school, and was never asked about tattoos in my interview. There is no policy, dress code, or other document discussing visible or non-visible tattoos. The most you'd ever come across is likely a dress code which cautions against visible tattoos.

As to whether or not it's right, I care less about that than how hard I'd have to fight it. If they want to control my body, I'm not going to fight it, because I don't want to work for someone who thinks they get to control my body. I'll go work for someone who respects me, thanks.
I'd definitely cover them up during the interview, just in case, and if they're not inappropriate then I don't see why they wouldn't accept you. One of my teachers has a number of visible tattoos and nobody has ever warned her against them or told her she couldn't be employed as a result.
you can easily cover them up by the sounds of it so I doubt it will be an issue, I would cover them during an interview just to be safe and then you could ask whether they would prefer you kept the tattoos covered once you get a job

personally I'd keep most tattoos covered as a teacher, a couple of small discreet tattoos are probably no big deal but large tattoos could be distracting or off putting to students and just don't look as professional
As others have said, I would cover them up during the interview just to be on the safe side. Once you have your place, then you can raise the matter of your tattoos. Just bear in mind that your university may have one view on them, while your placement schools may have another. If you're placed in a faith school, for example, they may frown on your crucifix tattoo.

Personally I think it's strange that nobody seems to bat an eyelid at further education/university lecturers or even support staff/TAs having tattoos, yet classroom teachers (in my experience) are still expected to keep them covered.
Original post by JSkell
I'm a second year English/Creative Writing (JHS) and have only recently been interested in the possibility of teaching at a secondary school level. I have five palm-sized tattoos on my upper arm, two of which extend down to my upper-forearm, on my inner and outer elbow. The one on my inner elbow is a Christian cross penetrating the top of a skull. They are fully concealed when I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt, partially (mostly) concealed when wearing roll-sleeved shirts and only fully visible when I'm wearing a short-sleeved shirt.

I've seen teachers with small tattoos before but I'm not sure what to expect at an interview for classroom work experience, as I haven't yet had any classroom experience. Will I be overlooked by my interviewer (or when applying for my PGCE course) for having tattoos? May it damage my chances of being selected for a potential job in the future?

Even if you don't know a right answer, I'd love to hear your personal opinion as to whether teachers should be allowed visible tattoos in the workplace. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any responses.

I'm a secondary teacher and my school's staff dress policy states no visible tattoos.

Several colleagues have tattoos, they just keep them covered up most of the time. That said, there are occasions when they roll sleeves up (because it's warm, or they're teaching a practical subject) and as far as I know, no-one says anything about this. On non-uniform days the staff dress code doesn't apply (we're all in jeans and t-shirts) and the tattoos come out.

Some schools wouldn't care at all and you'd be able to wear short-sleeved shirts if you wanted, others will be more like my school.

Either way, it sounds like your tattoos are easily coverable so you shouldn't have any difficulty. In the long run, try to find a post in a school which is more relaxed about such things, if it bothers you to have to wear long-sleeves all the time.
Reply 6
I don't think teachers should cover up their tattoos as I'm sure being a good teacher has nothing to do with having tattoos or not.

However I applied to do school experience for ten days through the get into teaching department and got a phone call the day before my first day at the school to remind me to be on time, dress professionally and no visible tattoos or piercings! So just to be on the safe side I would cover them up for an interview or for school experience.
Cover them up 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think tattoos are fine as long as they are not offensive. Just cover them at your interview however as different schools have vaarying policies on what is and is not allowed. Academies tend to be more conservative as they stress more importance on uniform for students and therefore they stress this with staff too.
If they aren't visible they needn't be mentioned

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending