The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR Core 1 (not OCR MEI) May 2016 Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blinin7
Hi, would appreciate some help.

For question 6 i) I got
2(x+3)-22
instead of,

as for some reason I re-arranged the equation given so that it began with 2x^2...

Question 7 iii)
I put stretch of scale factor 2 in x direction instead of Stretch parallel to the y axis scale factor 0.5

Question 9
I got k>5 and K<-4
instead of
or
however i got the factors (2k-10) (2k+4), I was just so rushed i put K as -4 instead of K as -2

Any ideas how many Marks I would have dropped from those 3.

Many thanks :smile:

6) drop 1

7iii) drop 1

9) drop 2
Original post by Nomes24
Thanks for your reply! I thought the second tangent met the circle (according to the diagram) at the y intercept, I know that isn't the most mathematical way to do it but I was desperate, which is why I think I might have lost marks. I got the gradient as 2 and (0,10) then did y-10=2(x-0) to get y=2x+10?

I found the y intercept by setting x to zero and then factorising.

The tangent doesn't meet the circle at (0,10) unfortunately.
Original post by Mr M
The tangent doesn't meet the circle at (0,10) unfortunately.

Thanks, I'm really confused as to what I did then but thanks anyways!! (Think I just got lucky lol but one mark for gradient is fine)
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone know what the first question was?
Original post by Mrrexxxx
Anyone know what the first question was?

Simplify (2x3)22(3x)2(2x-3)^2-2(3-x)^2.
Reply 45
Original post by Mr M
Simplify (2x3)22(3x)2(2x-3)^2-2(3-x)^2.

Was the OCR C1 any harder than usual?
Original post by Mr M
This was definitely the most difficult Core 1 ever.

Wow, it really must have been hard! I didn't do the exam (I'm an A2 student) but there was lots of complaining at college this morning.
Original post by TeeEm
Was the OCR C1 any harder than usual?

Yes a bit. Welcome back by the way.

Was Edexcel C1 noticeably harder than usual? I've just declined a request from a journalist to comment about it!
Reply 48
Original post by Mr M
Yes a bit. Welcome back by the way.

Was Edexcel C1 noticeably harder than usual? I've just declined a request from a journalist to comment about it!

Concept-wise no.
Just ugly numbers which upset/slowed down some students.
Original post by marioman
Wow, it really must have been hard! I didn't do the exam (I'm an A2 student) but there was lots of complaining at college this morning.

Some of my stronger students were grumbling but I usually don't take a lot of notice as, in my experience, students often say this was the hardest paper ever. In this case, I think they had something to grumble about. I don't usually engage my brain at all to complete Core 1 but two or three times I had to stop to think on this paper.
http://imgur.com/pNskLz6This was my working for q11. I know that everything past where I introduce alpha is completely wrong, just was wondering roughly how much I will get credited for the first chunk of my answer. Thanks a million
Original post by finn.thehuman
http://imgur.com/pNskLz6This was my working for q11. I know that everything past where I introduce alpha is completely wrong, just was wondering roughly how much I will get credited for the first chunk of my answer. Thanks a million

I don't know where the marks will be awarded but that is worth at least 4.
Reply 52
For 7(ii) I believe the equation of the curve was y = x(3x-x^2) or y = 3x^2 -x^3

And the question was a translation by 2 units parallel to the x axis

So can you just put 3(x-2)^2 - (x-2)^3 ?

There was hardly any space for multiplying that out so I don't see how you could put (5-x)(x-2)^2 ???
Original post by Ana246
For 7(ii) I believe the equation of the curve was y = x(3x-x^2) or y = 3x^2 -x^3

And the question was a translation by 2 units parallel to the x axis

So can you just put 3(x-2)^2 - (x-2)^3 ?

There was hardly any space for multiplying that out so I don't see how you could put (5-x)(x-2)^2 ???

That's the same thing - full marks.

And you wouldn't multiply out anyway. Factorisation is your friend.
Reply 54
For 7i when drawing the graph was it okay to just draw a line from the origin along the x axis to the point (0,3) or was there a need to show the maximum point.
Does anyone remember what the q 8iii was. I'm not sure if I got it right or not
Original post by Devkj
For 7i when drawing the graph was it okay to just draw a line from the origin along the x axis to the point (0,3) or was there a need to show the maximum point.

You needed to show the shape of a maximum between (0, 0) and (0, 3).
Reply 57
Would i only drop one mark for not showing that.
Original post by Laura122334
Does anyone remember what the q 8iii was. I'm not sure if I got it right or not

The normal at A meets the y axis at C. Find the y coordinate of C.
Original post by Devkj
Would i only drop one mark for not showing that.

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest