The Student Room Group

Government to introduce Sharia compliant student loans for Muslims

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ

So that's 6 years of a student finance system that many muslims were unable or unwilling to take out loans to fund their studies

They made their choice then.
Original post by BaconandSauce
They made their choice then.

Not really given that the proposal to introduce above inflation loans wasn't on any party's manifesto in 2010.

The choice was made for them by an incompetent government who rushed through legislation without a proper impact assessment.

If the loans were considered un-Christian there's no way they would have been implemented in 2012 without an alternative scheme.
Original post by PQ

If the loans were considered un-Christian

It wouldn't have even been a consideration
It wouldn't have even been a consideration

By that do you mean they don't care about Christian interests or do you mean it wouldn't have been a consideration if it was un-Christian?
Original post by dmcalinden
By that do you mean they don't care about Christian interests or do you mean it wouldn't have been a consideration if it was un-Christian?

they don't care about Christian interests (and rightly so)
(edited 7 years ago)
they don't care about Christian interests (and rightly so)

You do know the composition of the House of Lords? And how many MPs (and cabinet members during the coalition) boast about their christian faith?
Original post by Josb
In a few years, we'll have halal cars, halal flats, halal roads, halal schools, halal computers, etc.

halal ackbar

(I know it's allahu ackbar but that came to my head. :tongue:)
Original post by Josb
In a few years, we'll have halal cars, halal flats, halal roads, halal schools, halal computers, etc.

Yeah sorry guys, we Muslims can only have cars where the fuel is from Saudi Arabia and the parts are blessed. Flats that were made by the hands of other Muslims, schools which are only full of Muslims. Halal computers that only show us Islamic stuff. Man I'm so excited and pumped for this! :P
Original post by PQ
You do know the composition of the House of Lords? And how many MPs (and cabinet members during the coalition) boast about their christian faith?

Of course I do this doesn't mean our laws are based on Christianity (and given the laws we are currently seeing this I don't know of anyone who would make such a claim)

And yes I do and I have little time for them as well.

But your post smacks of whataboutery that has little relevance to the Issue.

I) we had a method of taking loans
2) some muslims chose not to use this (this is their choice)
3) Now we have 2 parallel systems (which are really the same) but the extra cost for running this will be burdened by ALL students

If you follow my posts you will see I have no real issue with this other than all students footing the bill for a minority.
Of course I do this doesn't mean our laws are based on Christianity (and given the laws we are currently seeing this I don't know of anyone who would make such a claim)

And yes I do and I have little time for them as well.

But your post smacks of whataboutery that has little relevance to the Issue.

I) we had a method of taking loans
2) some muslims chose not to use this (this is their choice)
3) Now we have 2 parallel systems (which are really the same) but the extra cost for running this will be burdened by ALL students

If you follow my posts you will see I have no real issue with this other than all students footing the bill for a minority.

And you're missing the point.

1) we HAD a method for taking loans that worked for everyone
2) the government changed that method in a way they KNEW would be discriminatory
3) the government dicked about for 5 years and are still talking about fixing something they ****ed up
4) there is no extra cost - SLC already administer 5 different loan schemes. A 6th will not add any costs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HanSoloLuck
The government has announced a Halal scheme to encourage more Muslims to attend university, specifically, student loans that don't garner interest.

The good news is everyone can apply, so we can all have Halal loans. While the set up is different the amount paid back is said to be the same, as it will be classed as a charitable donation and the loan itself will be drawn from a community fund (that's the public purse to you and me). Hopefully the scheme will be self sufficient within a few generations after enough loans have been repaid in. I mean after enough charitable donations have been made.

Of course, details are still being finalized, the government is currently working on a way to make the 'charitable donation' legally binding...legally binding charitable donations, that must be paid and is deducted from your salary. Isn't that a fun thought, it's just a 'wizard' idea. Kudos Cameron !

Is this a step in the wrong direction if we want to encourage integration, or is that not a thing anymore ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3593821/Sharia-students-loans-not-conflict-rules-Islam-offered-time-drive-Muslims-university.html

What a stupid policy. If they don't agree with current UK laws, and they want to follow extreme sharia laws, they can go to a ghetto like Saudi Arabia
Reply 151
Even though the Government has announced an alternative, it's unlikely that they'll do anything for a long time. It isn't a real priority for them. The only thing available now are a few young organisations like QardHasan. Even then, they're pretty young. I just hope they grow as much as they could. A few students I know have found them useful so who knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending