The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boyyo
Does anybody have the excel ums converter for 2015. The one I have only goes up to summer 2014

Just go on their webpage and download it again. It's been updated till Jan 16: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/converting-marks-points-and-grades.html
Reply 1881

Ahh cool thanks bro. Will it be updated on the day the grade boundaries come out??
Original post by boyyo
Ahh cool thanks bro. Will it be updated on the day the grade boundaries come out??

Yeah.
Original post by Azzer11
I'm getting 90+ UMS in C3 and C4 but around 50UMS in M1, kill me now. :frown:

don't panic, start looking at the m1 topics and start posting questions to explain topics you don't understand
Can you integrate 1/(2x^2+1) using c34 techniques?
Original post by thad33
Can you integrate 1/(2x^2+1) using c34 techniques?

Yeh use the sub x=tanu/(sqrt2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh use the sub x=tanu/(sqrt2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you work that out aha
Original post by thad33

terence tao is my best friend
Original post by thad33

2x^2 = (root (2)x)^2

If we let t = root (2)x the integral becomes

(t^2 + 1)^-1

which we can do by u substitution with tan (u) = t = root (2)x

Sorry for stealing your glory @physicsmaths :wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Euclidean
2x^2 = (root (2)x)^2

If we let t = root (2)x the integral becomes

(t^2 + 1)^-1

which we can do by u substitution with tan (u) = t = root (2)x

Sorry for stealing your glory @physicsmaths :wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile

a cambridge boys like us dont need that working out.
only oxford boys do that much working out to to figure that sub out
beefting
Original post by physicsmaths
a cambridge boys like us dont need that working out.
only oxford boys do that much working out to to figure that sub out
beefting

No working out means you fudged the solution m8 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been doing good in C3, but not so good in C4. Ive been losing most of my marks in the implicit differentiation and rates questions. Ive done a lot of questions, and feel relatively comfortable doing them, its just recognising that a question requires implicit differentiation that Im having trouble with. Can anyone suggest a way to identify this? I know there are some pretty obvious types, im referring to the ones that are less so like this one:Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 20.13.06.png What I did is think it was a connected rates of change question, and tried to figure out dh/dt by splitting it into dh/dv and dv/dt and then going on from there...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lordoftheties
Ive been doing good in C3, but not so good in C4. Ive been losing most of my marks in the implicit differentiation and rates questions. Ive done a lot of questions, and feel relatively comfortable doing them, its just recognising that a question requires implicit differentiation that Im having trouble with. Can anyone suggest a way to identify this? I know there are some pretty obvious types, im referring to the ones that are less so like this one:Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 20.13.06.png What I did is think it was a connected rates of change question, and tried to figure out dh/dt by splitting it into dh/dv and dv/dt and then going on from there...

That question you would do by separation of variables. You can tell that you need to do that because it says dh/dt, so the rate at which height changes with respect to time, but you don't have t as a variable anywhere in the equation. Hopefully I've made sense?
Original post by pineneedles
That question you would do by separation of variables. You can tell that you need to do that because it says dh/dt, so the rate at which height changes with respect to time, but you don't have t as a variable anywhere in the equation. Hopefully I've made sense?

Yh thats what I though too, but no, this is what you're supposed to do:

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 20.34.59.png
Yh thats what I though too, but no, this is what you're supposed to do:

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 20.34.59.png

You can express the volume of the water remaining in terms of h

Hence you can also represent the rate of change of the volume in terms of h (first derivative of volume)

You already know the rate of change of the volume from the question so you can equate them

Clue I think is to notice you're given a rate of change of volume so you need to express h in terms of that rate of change

what past paper year is this? I can remember doing it a while ago ... I just fancy doing that past paper year again haven't done it in ages.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
what past paper year is this? I can remember doing it a while ago ... I just fancy doing that past paper year again haven't done it in ages.

June 2010
When you approach later parts of a vectors question...

justin-bieber-what-do-you-mean.jpg

Think of dv/dt = rate in - rate out

for implicit. just look at the equation given and if it has both x's and y's you gotta implicit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending