The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krollo
Lmao I noticed that. Very slack of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See what you did there
Original post by Krollo
Lmao I noticed that. Very slack of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Terrible Krol, absolutely terrible.
So can we agree on some grade boundary estimates? Based off the poll and last years grade boundaries, 70/71 for 90ums and 64/65 for 80ums?
Original post by Tiva4Eva
Exactly. Although my personal vendetta is one year it will be >= and the next year > . We need consistency!!!

The question specifically stated that BOTH strings were taught, which means neither tension could equal 0, hence why the tension in BP was > 0 not >= 0.
on the lamina question i solved the integrals to get 6 but then absently forgot to subtract 6 from 9 to get the correct answwr of 3, how many marks would i have lost if its out of 6
Original post by jamie.mair
The question specifically stated that BOTH strings were taught, which means neither tension could equal 0, hence why the tension in BP was > 0 not >= 0.

Fair enough. I got the symbol right this time though I think. I also cannot remember the question word for word so I think I forgot that bit. Thanks for clearing that up. :smile:
I did the same for the first question... Hoping I won't lose any marks but they can't penalise anymore than 1 or 2 if we do... the method to get there was right at most we probably lose an Accuracy mark? Hopefully.

With regards to the T>=0 I have no idea, logically again it might be one or 2 but shouldn't be too many, not enough to affect a grade overall unless you are borderline... hopefully someone agrees with me on this though...

Huh? I thought it would be T>0? Because when T = 0 the string is slack
Original post by Student403
Huh? I thought it would be T>0? Because when T = 0 the string is slack

Logically I agree, but in the question it AB>=l/2. although I suppose that would still fit with my working if I said T>0 as well... To be honest I cannot remember the questions, just what I wrote. But yes if T=0 the string is slack so...
Logically I agree, but in the question it AB>=l/2. although I suppose that would still fit with my working if I said T>0 as well... To be honest I cannot remember the questions, just what I wrote. But yes if T=0 the string is slack so...

1 mark max anyway
Original post by jahovasfitness
on the lamina question i solved the integrals to get 6 but then absently forgot to subtract 6 from 9 to get the correct answwr of 3, how many marks would i have lost if its out of 6

you will most likely lose only 1 mark, i made a very silly mistake too on tension question which will cost me 4 marks i think... hate silly mistakes when you know this paper was a paper everyone should have got 100% on

completely unrelated question but as your online... how may marks do you tjink i would have droppped for putting the answer as 6cm rather than 3cm for the lamina question i.e for not subtracting 6 from 9 at the end
Original post by Student403
1 mark max anyway

True.
is anyone going to post unofficial mark scheme
Original post by jahovasfitness
completely unrelated question but as your online... how may marks do you tjink i would have droppped for putting the answer as 6cm rather than 3cm for the lamina question i.e for not subtracting 6 from 9 at the end

1 (A1) ?... Everything to get there was right I am assuming, although they do like their M1A1 . But I can't remember how many marks the question had and to be honest I haven't read past mark schemes thoroughly enough to be able to know for sure...

sorry can't be more helpful
Original post by MarocMan
is anyone going to post unofficial mark scheme

I hope so... I have been waiting all day for one... I want to know my really silly mistakes...
Reply 1115
I hope so... I have been waiting all day for one... I want to know my really silly mistakes...

Same... I'm refreshing this thread all day as well... every other exams have already got mark scheme but this

It works if the tension is 0 at the highest point too.

I'm curios how others set up the mathematics for this questions, I did lAB=r l - AB = r and then did the maths in terms of r, only subbing back in at the end.
Original post by Louisb19
It works if the tension is 0 at the highest point too.

I'm curios how others set up the mathematics for this questions, I did lAB=r l - AB = r and then did the maths in terms of r, only subbing back in at the end.

Think that's how most people did it.

How does it work if T=0?
I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't include any discriminating questions. I feel like there is a decent chance I made a mistake somewhere and will lose 2 marks which could cost me my A*. I got the same answers as others on here however you never really know about if you got 75 or not.

I'm glad Mechanics is over (for me :smile: ), hardest part of A-Level Maths imo.
Original post by Naeco
Same... I'm refreshing this thread all day as well... every other exams have already got mark scheme but this

it is sad but very true, i have been chilling on student room for so long like some nerd loool its like noone cares about m3 enough to make one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending