The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 1 Option D resit - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
who did the question on nixon and johnson?? what points did everyone write?
Original post by chrisproctor98
Did anyone attempt the black protests civil rights question and the Reagan economic question?

yes i did, it was good
Because the Russia in Revolution weren't all that difficult (and I've heard the same about a few others) and it was a retakes only group do we think the grade boundaries might actually be higher i.e. 47-49 for an A?

Did anyone do the 'threat to Mao's leadership' question for Mao's China? I had much less material for one side so had an imbalanced argument - did you try for a balanced argument?
Also legibility of handwriting is worrying me...it wasn't especially bad but it was quite small.
Original post by Susan______1
Because the Russia in Revolution weren't all that difficult (and I've heard the same about a few others) and it was a retakes only group do we think the grade boundaries might actually be higher i.e. 47-49 for an A?

Did anyone do the 'threat to Mao's leadership' question for Mao's China? I had much less material for one side so had an imbalanced argument - did you try for a balanced argument?

Oh god I did this question and completely flopped it, what did you write?
Reply 165
Sounds like I'm the only idiot who attempted the Korea question. The familiarity of the Vietnam question to last year's exam gave me the Fear™
Also did African American protests
Original post by arualae
Sounds like I'm the only idiot who attempted the Korea question. The familiarity of the Vietnam question to last year's exam gave me the Fear™
Also did African American protests

I would of never chosen Vietnam last year but my teacher said to focus more on Vietnam. There is more to talk about for Vietnam than Korea, Korea is boring hahaa. If you are the only one doing Korea that's good, makes ya stand out so a smart choice :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Het98
YOU KNOW THE AGRICULTURE ONE? DID YOU WRITE ABOUT COLLECTIVISATION??? Im stressing so much!!

That was their only agricultural policy so...yes
Who else thinks that Vietnam question was atrocious?
Reply 169
Original post by Mini Mina
That was their only agricultural policy so...yes

thank goodness for that!!
Reply 170
Original post by SlimShady96
Who else thinks that Vietnam question was atrocious?

Unpopular opinion but...I liked it :/
Reply 171
Original post by Susan______1
Also legibility of handwriting is worrying me...it wasn't especially bad but it was quite small.

its okay, mine was massive!!
Original post by fabruttledge
Oh god I did this question and completely flopped it, what did you write?

Did seriously threaten:
Famine due to GLF threatening Mao's reputation
Popularity of Xiaoping + Shaoqi within CCP
Youth disillusioned by '...to the countryside campaign'
Deng Xiaoping returning to power

Did not threaten:
Cultural rev strengthening Mao's power
Political purges =victory in power struggle
Power over youth
Control in areas such as Tibet + Xinjiang

BUT it is no use having good content if your structure is flawed. Had basically no time left so put all my points for 'did threaten' in one chaotic paragraph without much expansion, and concentrated on the other side more, producing a very unbalanced argument so have also basically messed it up.

Any other things you included? What was your structure, timing etc like?
Original post by Het98
Unpopular opinion but...I liked it :/

It's like it was a a mix between Nixon and why they couldn't win, but worded as if they did win but not completely, wtf lol
Original post by Het98
YOU KNOW THE AGRICULTURE ONE? DID YOU WRITE ABOUT COLLECTIVISATION??? Im stressing so much!!
Did you explain the positive and negative impacts that collectivization had on the USSR and for Stalin?
Original post by Het98
its okay, mine was massive!!

Massive is a lot easier to read though - will just have to hope that my examiner is good at making out script like mine I guess.
Original post by Domers_
Did you explain the positive and negative impacts that collectivization had on the USSR and for Stalin?

No i did the economic successes and failures

How it helped to establish Stalin's position so political success

Finally social failures - famine + dekulakisation
For Johnson and Nixon I said:
1) both of them were unable to win because of the strength of NVA/Vietcong
2) both of them were able to win because of their failed tactics
3) Johnson was unable to win partly because of opposition from the public however it came at the end of his presidency and so opposition is more of a factor for Nixon who experienced public opposition throughout his first term

?mate
I did the Civil Rights and Vietnam questions. For the civil rights; I answered the question about the war. A basic outline of my answer was that I argued that the war HAD led to changes; eg through increasing political power and economic power etc but failed to end segregation etc.... I approached this a successes and failures question but my classmates and teacher answered it as a factor question?? what did you guys do?? I'm freaking out!!!!!!
Original post by Mini Mina
No i did the economic successes and failures

How it helped to establish Stalin's position so political success

Finally social failures - famine + dekulakisation
Yeah, that's what I got. It's kind of hard to write about the positives of a policy which killed millions of people though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending