The Student Room Group

AS Biology 2016 (WJEC) BY1

I noticed there wasn't a thread for these exams (Units BY1 and BY2) so I thought this might be useful.
With regards to unit 2, does anyone know whether we need to learn the different phylums and classes? (as in the names of them to be able to classify particular organisms). I checked the specification but I couldn't make sense of it, so if anyone knows please let me know!!
Any other questions welcome on either unit hopefully we can help each other out :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Learning about the phyla was part of the old spec, so I don't think so. However, with this new spec its really difficult to predict stuff.
No you do not, but you need to be able to recognise what they are, most likely genus and species, and what this says about a creature, e.g. being from the same genus they are distantly related and therefore share a common ancestor - that sort of thing.

You can learn it if you want for fun, but instead, learn this:
Dead - Domain
Kings - Kingdom
Play - Phylum
Cards - Class
On - Order
Fat - Family
Green - Genus
Stools - species

:smile:
This one is better
Kings - Kingdom
Picked - Phylum
Cabbage - Class
Of - Order
Fantatic - Family
Garden - Genus
Species - species
I remember it by
Kids - Kingdom
Photographed - Phylum
Clowns - Class
Out - Order
Feeding - Family
Giant - Genus
Spiders - Species

Does anyone know if you need to know each practical in complete detail? I know I have to for chemistry but I haven't seen any big exam questions asking you to explain how to do a practical, except for the little ones like the reducing sugars or testing for proteins.
Reply 5
Original post by ambarellarose
I remember it by
Kids - Kingdom
Photographed - Phylum
Clowns - Class
Out - Order
Feeding - Family
Giant - Genus
Spiders - Species

Does anyone know if you need to know each practical in complete detail? I know I have to for chemistry but I haven't seen any big exam questions asking you to explain how to do a practical, except for the little ones like the reducing sugars or testing for proteins.

There's this old song on YouTube which is annoyingly catchy and that's how I remembered it! https://m.youtube.com/watch? v=6jAGOibTMuU
And we don't need to know 100% every detail for all tests but it's good to know roughly how each is carried out. They're usually 1,2,3 marks maximum so you won't need to write more than 3 steps ish if you understand what I'm saying ? :smile:
Reply 6
I'm resitting BY1, does anyone have any ideas for the 10 mark essay topics ? Thanks
Does anyone know if there's gonna be two choices when it comes to the essay? My teacher in panicking that there will be only one because its a new specification and the specimen paper only had one choice
Reply 8
Does anyone know if there's gonna be two choices when it comes to the essay? My teacher in panicking that there will be only one because its a new specification and the specimen paper only had one choice

pretty sure it's only the one choice now because of the new specification:frown:
Original post by katie7706
pretty sure it's only the one choice now because of the new specification:frown:

:redface: okay, our school is new to this exam board so if you are anyone has any advice about the papers please say. This is completely new to us :smile:
Anybody got any ideas for potential essay questions for B1?
Reply 11
Original post by pollyy
I noticed there wasn't a thread for these exams (Units BY1 and BY2) so I thought this might be useful.
With regards to unit 2, does anyone know whether we need to learn the different phylums and classes? (as in the names of them to be able to classify particular organisms). I checked the specification but I couldn't make sense of it, so if anyone knows please let me know!!
Any other questions welcome on either unit hopefully we can help each other out :smile:

basically we have to learn the Human one OBH but the others we just have to know the order that they come in to, so just need to know the order of the classing system
Reply 12
Kill - KINGDOM
People - PHYLUM
Carefully - CLASS
Or - ORDER
Families - FAMILY
Get - GENUS
Suspicious - SPECIES
Original post by molly54
basically we have to learn the Human one OBH but the others we just have to know the order that they come in to, so just need to know the order of the classing system

Hey, what do you mean by the human one? Just the genus and species of Homo sapiens or is there anything else?
Original post by JorahMormont
Anybody got any ideas for potential essay questions for B1?

My teacher thinks its going to be something on protein synthesis, but I'm going to look more at the essay questions and see what hasn't been brought up and maybe predict something after that.
My teacher thinks its going to be something on protein synthesis, but I'm going to look more at the essay questions and see what hasn't been brought up and maybe predict something after that.

Wasn't protein synthesis in the specimen paper? I reckon they'll give us one that hasn't come up but word it weirdly aswell
Reply 16
Hey, what do you mean by the human one? Just the genus and species of Homo sapiens or is there anything else?

My teacher told my class that we need to know the kingdom, phylum etc.. of Humans (homo sapiens) x
Wasn't protein synthesis in the specimen paper? I reckon they'll give us one that hasn't come up but word it weirdly aswell

yeah it was worded quite weirdly in the specimen paper, I really hope its on carbohydrates or water but there's probably no chance of those coming up because its been up quite a lot. I'm just trying to find the topic that rarely comes up.
anyone know if there's a chemistry thread for ch1 and ch2?(wjec)
hi, does anyone have a list for all the diagrams/processes we need to know for both by1 and by2? old spec resitting both papers from last year! thanks would really appreciate this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending