The Student Room Group

I'm 17 and have never been to a party

I'm 17. I have never been to a house party (not even New Years Eve...), I have never been kissed, heck I haven't even been out the house past midnight (accept coming back from a holiday or something).
I get weird about people touching me, mainly cause i've kinda been deprived of physical contact for like 3 years.
I don't know what to do.
I just want to be normal.
I feel like I'm wasting my teenage years but I just can't find any friends that I fit with. I have moved about friendship groups loads and became really close with one girl, but she's moving schools now.
I didn't go to prom last year, I probably won't end up going next year now :frown:
What do i do??

Scroll to see replies

There's more to life than going to parties. My friends and I are 16/17 and we don't go to parties or even have boyfriends but we don't mind.

Try finding a hobby to get into, it's a good way of taking up time
Just because you haven't been to a party doesn't mean you've wasted your teenage years?
I guess everyone defines what makes their teenage life awesome differently, but I wouldn't be too upset over it.
Try to make friends? Go to the next year event thingy that is but isn't prom?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17. I have never been to a house party (not even New Years Eve...), I have never been kissed, heck I haven't even been out the house past midnight (accept coming back from a holiday or something).
I get weird about people touching me, mainly cause i've kinda been deprived of physical contact for like 3 years.
I don't know what to do.
I feel like I'm wasting my teenage years but I just can't find any friends that I fit with. I have moved about friendship groups loads and became really close with one girl, but she's moving schools now.
I didn't go to prom last year, I probably won't end up going next year now :frown:
What do i do??

me neither but why would i care????

that's likely a lie, your parents never kissed you? or relatives? or guardians?

me neither(except from long car journeys around places and out for shopping once or twice)

define normal for me

well what do you want to do in your teenage years? yes friends come and go, maybe you could keep in touch with some of your more true friends?

i've never been to a prom but i've never had a problem.

I guess what i'm saying is don't conform to other people's expectations, make your own and meet your own
Exact same as you :smile: try not to let it bother you, there are other things to do besides partying and at this point studying is the most important thing :yes:
anyway soon you will be at uni and there are lots of parties there :smile:
It doesn't matter.
Do you plan on going uni? You will have a chance to party/snog as many people as you like.
who cares about parties really no big deal and just enjoy your life and forget it
Life is not all about parties or being kissed....
I don't know what to do.
What do i do??

Dont worry I havent kissed a guy either or had a boyfriend but that doesnt make me less of a person. Don't worry there are lots of people like you out there but not a lot of people are brave enough like you to admit it. Just get out more and follow the things you are passionate about !! You usually find things when your least looking for them :biggrin:
Reply 9
It didn't happen for me til it was 19, and I still haven't gone to a party. Didn't go to prom, never regretted it. I don't like them, and actually try to avoid them. Doesn't make me any less of a person, and it doesn't make you any less of a person either. I sometimes do feel like I'm wasting my teenage years by not "enjoying myself", but then I realised that my definition of enjoying myself is different from others and actually, I'm totally fine.

If you really do want to go to parties, then try to. If you're planning on going to uni, there will be plenty of them around. There will be plenty whenever, really. Make sure you don't make any rash decisions (when it comes to dates, sex, various substances and even parties). You'll be fine (:

I understand that the issue with friends is slightly different, but maybe do try to find people with similar interests as you. If you're politically minded, maybe talk to the other person who seems to care about what Cameron is doing. And so on. (:

Don't do anything you don't want to do just because you feel like you should!!! Sometimes I wish I had kissed more boys when I felt left out, but when I met my current boyfriend I felt like I couldn't be happier about not kissing people I didn't actually like!
(edited 7 years ago)
Your idea of what being normal is actually not how most people are. For most, partying is occasional so don't be angry about it; you are a controlled person.

Regarding making friends, just be yourself. You don't want to have friends that aren't actually friends with YOU. I suggest picking up a sport and do it often like MMA, football or whatever you like that allows you to meet people. Personally, I saw that sports friends are often loyal friends.
Lol I'm 16 and yeah never been to a party or kissed a girl. That said, kinda sucks you don't have any core friendship groups/friends. What sort of hobbies are you into?
Reply 12
I don't know what to do.
What do i do??

Tbh i'm the same... i say just enjoy yourself, whatever that means for you. Don't judge yourself against anyone else; everyonen is different. Just do what you want to do, as long as it makes you happy.

As far as the friends are concerned, eventually, you will find the right people, but until then, there's not much to do except just sit tight and wait :frown:
Thank you all for the reassurance. I'm usually okay about this kind of stuff, and definitely have been solely focused on my studies these past few years but looking at photos of my schoolmates on instagram all at parties and people look so shocked when I tell them I haven't been kissed. idk.

When it comes to parties, I just want to go to one. I have no intention of getting drunk or doing drugs (boring much? haha)

Friends wise I am super self-conscious and have social anxiety which does not help. I don't really do any clubs cause I'm scared of what people will think of me!

Prom wise - I want to go to prom. I do not regret not going last year cause it was just not right for me, but I want to wear a pretty dress with nice hair and makeup you know?

Thank you all again for the advice and personal stories it has made me feel a lot better about my situation.
Original post by black1blade
Lol I'm 16 and yeah never been to a party or kissed a girl. That said, kinda sucks you don't have any core friendship groups/friends. What sort of hobbies are you into?

Not many, i think that's one of the issues, I have nothing interesting to talk to about with people making me a dull person.

I like writing stories, and reading them - I act, and take theatre studies as an AS Level. I love it, but I'm too scared to join the very few drama groups we have around where I live.

That's pretty much it. I need to find some more hobbies :')
Reply 15
If you want to talk or anything, just message me and i'll reply when i see it
Exact same as you :smile: try not to let it bother you, there are other things to do besides partying and at this point studying is the most important thing :yes:
anyway soon you will be at uni and there are lots of parties there :smile:

yeah, I just spent my whole secondary school life thinking "Things will be better in the sixth form - i'll meet new people and it'll all be fine!" And then it wasn't...! I dont mind waiting for uni, i need to concentrate on studying anyway, but what if Uni is exactly the same as sixth form and i just don't meet people because i have social anxiety and am bad at making conversation?!!

Thank you for your reassurance though, it's good to know I'm not alone!
Original post by 09HB
If you want to talk or anything, just message me and i'll reply when i see it

Thank you, I appreciate that !!xx
Reply 18
Mate parties aren't all that tbh, unless your with the right people, sometimes its the atmosphere and music that livens it up for me
Befriend the people that are regarded as "sad" by everyone else. For starters they're usually nice people and they throw some pretty cool parties if they can get their hands on some alcohol and speakers.
I'm 16 and I've only been to 2 parties and kissed one girl. Yeah it's fun, but it's not the end of the world.
Life's not about getting pissed and doing drugs and partying every weekend. Life's about balancing work and play. You just need to find a little bit of play if I'm honest, but if you try hard enough it's not that hard.
Little tip: smaller parties are 1000x better than big parties. Just have a little to drink (get tipsy but not drunk). Everything's hilarious and you won't suffer the next day 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending