The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY Unit 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Is a scatter graph or bar chart continuous data?
Reply 61
Original post by studentshavefun
Does cracking involve heating Alkanes or Alkenes?

Cracking is the breaking down of long hydrocarbon monomers into smaller hydrocarbon monomers that are more useful, I don't think it matters if the reactant is an alkane or alkene as long as the amount of atoms in the reactant are the same as the amount of atoms in the products.
Reply 62
Original post by MBK14
What would happen if it said suggest one reason and you put like 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it doesn't matter unless one of your reasons is completely wrong, in which case I think it cancels the other ones out and you do not get the mark.
Original post by IAmAnTroll
What is an ore?

How are metals extracted from their ore?

An ore is a rock which contains a metal worth extracting (am i right?)

We extract metal by mining the ore from the ground. some need to be concentrated before the metal is extracted and purified. E.g copper ores are ground into powder and then mixed with water and a chemical that makes copper compound repel the water. Usually are more reactive metal will displace the metal from its compound. e.g: carbon will displace many metals that are lower in the reactivity series.

Metal oxide + carbon ----------> Metal + Carbon dioxide
lead oxide ---------> Lead + carbon dioxide

umm......am I right?......
Give two reasons why scrap iron is used to displace copper (2 Marks)

Answers:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentshavefun
Is a scatter graph or bar chart continuous data?

Scatter graph is continuous
Original post by 4dam
Cracking is the breaking down of long hydrocarbon monomers into smaller hydrocarbon monomers that are more useful, I don't think it matters if the reactant is an alkane or alkene as long as the amount of atoms in the reactant are the same as the amount of atoms in the products.

There's a question on the specimen paper about cracking and it seems to be only alkanes but I checked online and it says both so I'n not really sure...
Original post by Snake_God
Give two reasons why scrap iron is used to displace copper

1) It's cheaper than copper 2) Iron is more reactive
Reply 68
Original post by Jamie Vardy
State and explain two impacts extracting metals can have on the environment. (4)

Destroys the landscape - Extracting metals from rocks involves making large unsightly dents in the landscape that can destroy the natural habitat

Fossil fuels burnt - Fossil fuels are burnt by the trucks that carry ores from extraction site to a plant.

Iron is cheap and the process doesn't involve a lot of energy or stages, iron is more reactive than copper

It is cheap and is more reative than copper
Reply 71

Scrap iron is cheap
Scrap iron is more reactive than copper
Reply 72
What does it mean if an oil is a. Saturates or b. unsaturated?
Reply 73

1- Using scrap iron means that there is less iron wasted which would otherwise go into landfills so it basically uses a material that would otherwise go to waste
2- Using scrap iron to get copper out of a copper sulfate solution is cheaper as opposed to electrolysis as you don't need electricity

Am I right? im not quite sure...
Reply 74
Original post by 4dam

Saturated - has only single bonds, higher melting point than unsaturated
Unsaturated - has double bonds

Anything else?
Original post by 4dam

Saturated have single c-c bonds whilst unsaturated fats have double bonds, they can be detected with the bromine test- unsaturated fats go from orange to colourless.
Original post by t10r
1- Using scrap iron means that there is less iron wasted which would otherwise go into landfills so it basically uses a material that would otherwise go to waste
2- Using scrap iron to get copper out of a copper sulfate solution is cheaper as opposed to electrolysis as you don't need electricity

Am I right? im not quite sure...

This is a question from an exam so im just telling you what the mark scheme says.

You would get a mark for the second point on electrolysis, but your first one would not qualify a mark.

You should say iron is more reactive than copper for an extra mark.
Describe the process of bio-leaching
(edited 7 years ago)
Explain the processes of:

a) bioleaching
b) phytomining
Reply 79
Original post by t10r
Saturated - has only single bonds, higher melting point than unsaturated
Unsaturated - has double bonds

Anything else?

No, that's all I was asking for, sounds like you know your stuff. Relating to that, alkanes are saturated, alkenes are unsaturated, bromine water test - goes water for unsaturated but I didn't ask for that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending