The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR Core 1 (not OCR MEI) May 2016 Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eloise.morgan
Does you know what the grade boundaries are most likely to be?

No-one knows. Boundaries are not decided until all the papers have been marked.
Original post by MathsORC
Mr M , for question 10 part 2 I made an arithmetic error simplifying the gradient of the line from the centre to the point A from -3/6 to -1/3 , if everything else was correct (m1 x m2 = -1 etc) how many marks would I drop? And would I be given any error carried forward for part 3 in which the gradient was the same?

Thanks for posting your mark scheme btw.

Drop 1 for that mistake and I expect there will be error carried forward.
Mr M, for the k question I got b2-4ac but then decided to put my answers to that into a quadratic and got a really obscure answer, how many marks will I get for doing that but doing the next part
For question 11, I have done dy/dx=8x-a/x^2=0, I also wrote 32=4x^2+a/x+5. But then I kind of mess up the question. Do I get any marks for writing those two down?
For 10 iv) I put (0,0) into the circle equation then I got root 25<root 45. And then I got r<5 do I get any mark for this question?
Original post by ChicharitoMUFC
Mr M, for the k question I got b2-4ac but then decided to put my answers to that into a quadratic and got a really obscure answer, how many marks will I get for doing that but doing the next part

Impossible to say from that description but you will definitely get some marks.
Original post by CuihongHu
For question 11, I have done dy/dx=8x-a/x^2=0, I also wrote 32=4x^2+a/x+5. But then I kind of mess up the question. Do I get any marks for writing those two down?
For 10 iv) I put (0,0) into the circle equation then I got root 25<root 45. And then I got r<5 do I get any mark for this question?

Q11 3 marks for that and possibly more if you did a bit more.

10iv) Maybe 1 mark for realising root 25 was involved.
Are you able to post some questions?

A petition will not affect the grade boundaries as they are set by examiners based on how candidates fared on the paper. I am sure that the boundaries will be lowered if the exam was harder than usual.
Original post by swingrx
Please sign this petition to lower the grade boundaries!

Don't do this. It's silly. The boundaries will be set according to the performance of candidates. A petition achieves nothing.
Original post by Mr M
Don't do this. It's silly. The boundaries will be set according to the performance of candidates. A petition achieves nothing.

Please can you post some of the questions!
Original post by phat-chewbacca
Please can you post some of the questions!

Ask your teacher to let you look at a paper in the morning?
Original post by Mr M
Ask your teacher to let you look at a paper in the morning?
I am unable to do that as I am a private candidate.
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 May 2016 Answers

This was definitely the most difficult Core 1 ever. I'll be around to discuss questions later for a bit. Post in the thread, don't private message me as the system is running very slow.

I'm glad mr m thought it was the hardest c1 paper ever and it weren't just me its given me hope of low grade Boundries
If for q4) I put y=9 and y=1/4 because I was a numpty and only squared instead of to the power 4, how many marks would I drop?
Does anyone have any predictions of what 60 marks will get as a ums for this paper considering it is the hardest one to be released. Also any ideas what 63-65 would also get in ums. Thanks
Original post by lisaprice987
If for q4) I put y=9 and y=1/4 because I was a numpty and only squared instead of to the power 4, how many marks would I drop?

Probably 2.
Original post by Ousamaz18810
Does anyone have any predictions of what 60 marks will get as a ums for this paper considering it is the hardest one to be released. Also any ideas what 63-65 would also get in ums. Thanks

Anyone who answers this will just be guessing. You just have to wait and see.
Reply 98
Hey Mr M,

I drew the graph as a positive graph instead of negative but it passed through the correct points. How many marks do you think I would have lost?
Does anyone remember what question 2 and question 8iii was? (Sorry, I have a terrible memory!)

Anyway, this was very useful, thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply