The Student Room Group

Cambridge Application with good(ish) GCSEs?

(I'm looking to apply for 2018 entry for Oxbridge, but can't find an Oxbridge subforum, so this is a duplicate post referring to Cambridge rather than my previous enquiring about Oxford)

Hello,
I'm currently sitting my GCSEs, twelve subjects in total. However, I feel that I may have messed up a few subjects, notably RS, Further Maths, Greek and maybe Music.

Anyway, I am planning to take RS, Latin, Greek and German for A-Level next year, and am aiming for at least two A*, hopefully three.

My question (and I know this isn't an uncommon one on this forum ;-)) is whether I would have a competitive application with, say, 8A* and 4A (Bearing in mind there are no A* for Further Maths L2 Cert.). Would this be a good set of grades that would only need A levels to meet the requirements, a set of grades that will need boosting with 2+ A* at A-Level, or not Cambridge material?

I am looking to study Classics, possibly with German as a foreign language. The entry requirement is A*AA, but nothing about GCSE.

The main reason I am unsure is because we are the first year not to do AS levels, so I assume this means Universities will look more at GCSE, and no matter how well I do at A-Level, there wouldn't be any reason to give a conditional if my GCSEs are middle of the pile in terms of Cambridge applicants...

Thanks
Original post by Caecilius'Garden
(I'm looking to apply for 2018 entry for Oxbridge, but can't find an Oxbridge subforum, so this is a duplicate post referring to Cambridge rather than my previous enquiring about Oxford)

Hello,
I'm currently sitting my GCSEs, twelve subjects in total. However, I feel that I may have messed up a few subjects, notably RS, Further Maths, Greek and maybe Music.

Anyway, I am planning to take RS, Latin, Greek and German for A-Level next year, and am aiming for at least two A*, hopefully three.

My question (and I know this isn't an uncommon one on this forum ;-)) is whether I would have a competitive application with, say, 8A* and 4A (Bearing in mind there are no A* for Further Maths L2 Cert.). Would this be a good set of grades that would only need A levels to meet the requirements, a set of grades that will need boosting with 2+ A* at A-Level, or not Cambridge material?

I am looking to study Classics, possibly with German as a foreign language. The entry requirement is A*AA, but nothing about GCSE.

The main reason I am unsure is because we are the first year not to do AS levels, so I assume this means Universities will look more at GCSE, and no matter how well I do at A-Level, there wouldn't be any reason to give a conditional if my GCSEs are middle of the pile in terms of Cambridge applicants...

Thanks

Yes, your GCSEs are very good and are maybe even above the average Cambridge applicant's number of A*s, however you also shouldn't worry too much about them. I'm in the same year as you and I've been doing loads of research about how important GCSE's are in context to applying for Cambridge, and even though they might place a little bit more emphasis on them because of the deletion of AS Levels they are balancing this out with entrance tests across all the degrees. This means that your interview, predicted grades, personal statement (and now the entrance test) will probably be of more importance than your GCSEs.

P.S it's very rare that you'd be in the "middle of the pile" if you have average GCSE grades, many people get in with only 1 A* and some people are rejected with 12 A*s. It's mostly about your learning style, your ability to cope with difficult questions, and most importantly, your love and passion for the subject you'll be applying to that gets you a place there.

Good luck for the rest of your GCSEs! :smile:
Wow, thanks for all the great information! Good luck to you too!
Reply 3
Original post by Caecilius'Garden

There is no minimum requirement for GCSEs, that's why none is stated on the entry requirements. They aren't really that relevant, but 8A*s is above average. Keep doing well, and then focus on your A-levels.

And the Oxbridge forum is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Original post by george_c00per
I'm in the same year as you and I've been doing loads of research about how important GCSE's are in context to applying for Cambridge, and even though they might place a little bit more emphasis on them because of the deletion of AS Levels they are balancing this out with entrance tests across all the degrees.

Just on that point, no, they are not now giving GCSEs any more emphasis than previously. In other words, not much... :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending