The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry Revision Squad!

Scroll to see replies

You know in proton and carbon nmr
You know those questions they label certain atoms of a molecule A or B and you have to tell the splitting pattern of that atom in a compound.

How are you supposed to know which 'adjacent' carbon causes the splitting pattern cause it could be different ones on either side. So which adjacent do you use?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help with MAss spectrum
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463603114.572258.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Help with MAss spectrum
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463603114.572258.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

There will be another peak for Chlorine-37 (+), like the already plotted Chlorine-35 (+) one.

The x-axis represents mass/charge or m/e ratio - I.e. Mass divided by charge.

So there will be another peak for 35/2(+) = 17.5

And another at 37/2(+) = 18.5

(Also y-axis represents relative abundance - for example could be written as a percentage)

There is no real way of knowing from the information given what the abundance of Cl (+) is compared to Cl (2+) however you would expect there to be much less of the 2+ ions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDB1826
There will be another peak for Chlorine-37 (+), like the already plotted Chlorine-35 (+) one.

The x-axis represents mass/charge or m/e ratio - I.e. Mass divided by charge.

So there will be another peak for 35/2(+) = 17.5

And another at 37/2(+) = 18.5

(Also y-axis represents relative abundance - for example could be written as a percentage)

There is no real way of knowing from the information given what the abundance of Cl (+) is compared to Cl (2+) however you would expect there to be much less of the 2+ ions

Thank you, yes I would do what u do. But
The mark scheme says if there's four peaks, you lose a mark

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463606586.116581.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you, yes I would do what u do. But
The mark scheme says if there's four peaks, you lose a mark

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463606586.116581.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

If more than 3 peaks drawn, so if you were to draw 4 then yes I think you'd lose that mark, but 4 in total including the peak already provided is alright I assume
Original post by RDB1826
If more than 3 peaks drawn, so if you were to draw 4 then yes I think you'd lose that mark, but 4 in total including the peak already provided is alright I assume

Oh right, that makes so much sense, thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="tariq;64901641" alyoan="alyoan"]
Original post by FemaleBo55
I was looking for a Chemistry Revision Thread but there were not any so I decided to make one :wink:

Feel free to ask questions regardless of your exam board (because chemistry is chesmitry), and we'll all be happy to answer
hey question here........
Compound X changes the colour of warm acidified sodium dichromate(VI) from orange to green.
1 mol of X reacts with 2mol of HCN in the presence of KCN.
What could X be?
A)CH3CH2CH2CHO
B)CH3COCH2COCH3
C)H2C=CHCH2CHO
D)OHCCH2CH2CHO

so as it reduces chromium from +6 to +3 (orange to green) then the substance must be oxidised so it cannot be a ketone ( not c ) it reacts with HCN and KCN so must be a carbonyl but not ketone so has to be an aldehyde and as one mole of it reacts with two moles of HCN then there must be 2 aldehyde groups so answer is D ?
Does anyone know what Kc actually is?
I'm so confused because i thought it showed where the position of equilibrium was for a reaction but if that is the case then surely it would change with pressure/concentration because these move the position of equilibrium?
Do you guys do SALTERS ( past papers for A level Chemistry) ? And are they good enough? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kc comes from Rate Equations of forward and backward reactions. Since Rate constant is only temperature dependant, according to Arrhenius equation so is Kc only temp dependant

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello frommmmm JUPITER,

For ocr salter cHem, am making a grouppppppppppppppp on whatsapp DM me HUMANS... F332,F334, F335 SHALL BE REVIEWED MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Right... I have just over 7 days to get an A in my Chemistry Unit 1 resit, 22 days to get an A in Unit 2 resit.

Also have 26 days to get an A* in 6CH04 and 34 days to get an A* in 6CH05.
Should be fun... (already done Unit 1 revision and just starting Unit 2 now .-.)

Edexcel btw
Reply 552
A branched Alkene A was reduced with Hydrogen to form a compound B. Compound B had a composition by mass of C:82.8%, H:17.2% (Mr=58).

Compound A was reacted with steam with an acid catalyst to produce a mixture of two structural isomers C and D .

a)Calculate the empirical and molecular formula of a compound B?

I'd like some advice as to where to start trying to work out how to tackle this question.

any help is greatly appreciated .

kind regards to anyone who is helping me
Original post by phspa
A branched Alkene A was reduced with Hydrogen to form a compound B. Compound B had a composition by mass of C:82.8%, H:17.2% (Mr=58).

Compound A was reacted with steam with an acid catalyst to produce a mixture of two structural isomers C and D .

a)Calculate the empirical and molecular formula of a compound B?

I'd like some advice as to where to start trying to work out how to tackle this question.

any help is greatly appreciated .

kind regards to anyone who is helping me

Work out the empirical formula of B.
Then work out the Mr of the empirical formula. If it doesn't match the Mr of 58, it isn't the molecular formula as well. So, multiply the empirical formula's Mr to get the Mr of 58.

You know how to do the empirical formula right?
Reply 554
Original post by Peppercrunch
Work out the empirical formula of B.
Then work out the Mr of the empirical formula. If it doesn't match the Mr of 58, it isn't the molecular formula as well. So, multiply the empirical formula's Mr to get the Mr of 58.

You know how to do the empirical formula right?

Sorry my friend I dont this is the part I'm struggling with . if you could point me in the correct direction I'd be greatly appreciative .

thanks
Original post by phspa
Sorry my friend I dont this is the part I'm struggling with . if you could point me in the correct direction I'd be greatly appreciative .

thanks

Here is a method for the question that I made, with explanations. (Here is a BBC bitesize explanation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/chemcalc/chemcalc_higherrev2.shtml )

Reply 556
Original post by Peppercrunch
Here is a method for the question that I made, with explanations. (Here is a BBC bitesize explanation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/chemcalc/chemcalc_higherrev2.shtml )

A true gentleman . thank you so much sir
Help please
I thought the bond angle would be like 50 degrees just by looking at observation but the answers different
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463728553.911868.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does everyone remember the mechanisms? I can't for the life of me answer a question on drawing them!
Reply 559
Can anybody add the mark scheme for chemistry aqa plzzzzz

Quick Reply

Latest