The Student Room Group

This is why I hate my dad

So this is why i hate my dad's guts(along with loads of other things he's done/not done)

I have already told him and explained that i have an exam(he knows this counts towards my actual grades etc) and that it'll be a few days after i come back to school, i'd rather spend my time revising M1 compared to spending time on a theory test when i can do anytime.

I booked this test unknowing that the test would be slap bang in the middle of my exams. So i asked my dad to move the date and these were his responses.

(1st text)
He doesn't understand the concept of a persons' understanding.
He told me the test is on the 1st of June which i already know because i bloody booked the thing. He's also telling me to change the date for the theory test(which i asked him to do) which is convenient to me.
So he being so silly it's not making any sense. I literally have asked him to move this test so it's more convenient for me. What's he trying to do? He's pretty much telling me things i already know -.-

(2nd text)
He doesn't have any understanding or care for anyone else but himself(i know this from knowledge and evidence compiled over the years)
He says my maths exam has nothing to do with my theory test, but it does.
Why am i revising a theory test i can do anytime of year when i should be revising for an exam i can only do twice?(now and if i want to resit)
What's the point? I think most people would say that the theory test should be moved to make space so i can revise for my Mechanics.
He then has the balls to tell me to use and arrange my time wisely.
At this point i got really annoyed because what the **** does he think i'm trying to do?
Of course everyone wants to hinder their AS exams with a theory test especially when those grades count towards your actual ones. I'm trying to rearrange something but he's not helping, i'm trying to arrange my time as best as possible.

(3rd,4th and 5th text)
Ok so some of you might be thinking, well your dad's right, why can't you rearrange it and do it yourself?
Well thing is when you're at a boarding school and you're forced to do more revision(in the sense you must revise more to do well in exams) because it's your as and they actually count you'd want to be revising most of the time not faffing around with other stuff.
Another point is that all the details and passwords to log on to all the internet stuff is at home, so how can i reach it? Some might say well get your dad to send it to you, and i will say if he has the time to take a picture and send it to me he has time to cancel my test or change it to a different date, it really doesn't take that long. So i refused to answer him.

Mini lump is the term my dad uses and copied from my brother to refer to my cousin who came over from Hong Kong to study here in the UK.
He(most likely) forced her to go online and check the terms and conditions to change theory test dates(that's how he is, his personality won't change and refuses to change). I already know this, i wrote on one of the pieces of paper 3 days to change i.e. 3 days before actual theory test to change date before you're charged anyway whether you attend or don't. So he's pretty much telling me what i already know. He's asking me a question which he already knows the answer to which is why i'm not replying.

TL;DR Dad refuses to change date for my theory test because he's too lazy to do so, so i can revise better for my M1 exam after the break from 27th of May to 4th of June. He's keeps on pressing me for an answer which he already know the answer to.

How can i get him to change it?
WARNING VERY SWEARY!!!!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Not really sure why you bothered going through your dad at all rather than doing it yourself.

I get the fact you are at school, but when exactly do you think exams are if not around this time?
Its clear your dad isnt bothered, so its flogging a dead horse to get him to reliably do soemthing. Why not your mum or mini lump? Why didnt you get the details when you were last at home?

In any event you only have to give 3 days notice otherwise. No point wasting time and letting him unsettle you or unsettle yourself.
Don't stress about your theory test. Just don't turn up to it if you can't rearrange it. It's better to lose £40 than to fail your M1 exam.

Most important thing is, don't stress. Keep your eye on whats important and that's getting your grades.

SS
Original post by thefatone
So this is why i hate my dad's guts(along with loads of other things he's done/not done)

I have already told him and explained that i have an exam(he knows this counts towards my actual grades etc) and that it'll be a few days after i come back to school, i'd rather spend my time revising M1 compared to spending time on a theory test when i can do anytime.

I booked this test unknowing that the test would be slap bang in the middle of my exams. So i asked my dad to move the date and these were his responses.

(1st text)
He doesn't understand the concept of a persons' understanding.
He told me the test is on the 1st of June which i already know because i bloody booked the thing. He's also telling me to change the date for the theory test(which i asked him to do) which is convenient to me.
So he being so silly it's not making any sense. I literally have asked him to move this test so it's more convenient for me. What's he trying to do? He's pretty much telling me things i already know -.-

(2nd text)
He doesn't have any understanding or care for anyone else but himself(i know this from knowledge and evidence compiled over the years)
He says my maths exam has nothing to do with my theory test, but it does.
Why am i revising a theory test i can do anytime of year when i should be revising for an exam i can only do twice?(now and if i want to resit)
What's the point? I think most people would say that the theory test should be moved to make space so i can revise for my Mechanics.
He then has the balls to tell me to use and arrange my time wisely.
At this point i got really annoyed because what the **** does he think i'm trying to do?
Of course everyone wants to hinder their AS exams with a theory test especially when those grades count towards your actual ones. I'm trying to rearrange something but he's not helping, i'm trying to arrange my time as best as possible.

(3rd,4th and 5th text)
Ok so some of you might be thinking, well your dad's right, why can't you rearrange it and do it yourself?
Well thing is when you're at a boarding school and you're forced to do more revision(in the sense you must revise more to do well in exams) because it's your as and they actually count you'd want to be revising most of the time not faffing around with other stuff.
Another point is that all the details and passwords to log on to all the internet stuff is at home, so how can i reach it? Some might say well get your dad to send it to you, and i will say if he has the time to take a picture and send it to me he has time to cancel my test or change it to a different date, it really doesn't take that long. So i refused to answer him.

Mini lump is the term my dad uses and copied from my brother to refer to my cousin who came over from Hong Kong to study here in the UK.
He(most likely) forced her to go online and check the terms and conditions to change theory test dates(that's how he is, his personality won't change and refuses to change). I already know this, i wrote on one of the pieces of paper 3 days to change i.e. 3 days before actual theory test to change date before you're charged anyway whether you attend or don't. So he's pretty much telling me what i already know. He's asking me a question which he already knows the answer to which is why i'm not replying.

TL;DR Dad refuses to change date for my theory test because he's too lazy to do so, so i can revise better for my M1 exam after the break from 27th of May to 4th of June. He's keeps on pressing me for an answer which he already know the answer to.

How can i get him to change it?
WARNING VERY SWEARY!!!!

Spoiler

You have issues
Reply 4
Original post by thefatone
x

Oh my.

Why am I not surprised seeing this?

Oh, wait. I think it was me who said you're going to make a thread about your dad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hate is a strong word.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Not really sure why you bothered going through your dad at all rather than doing it yourself.

I get the fact you are at school, but when exactly do you think exams are if not around this time?
Its clear your dad isnt bothered, so its flogging a dead horse to get him to reliably do something. Why not your mum or mini lump? Why didnt you get the details when you were last at home?

In any event you only have to give 3 days notice otherwise. No point wasting time and letting him unsettle you or unsettle yourself.

Because i must spend time to revise to get as close to 100UMS i.e full raw marks in maths as possible, every mark gained now is another mark i can afford to lose next year so i can try for that A*

Because this exam can be done at another time, the theory test doesn't carry the same importance as my M1 exam, i can never drive a car and just use public transport my whole life so it's an optional thing. I'm asking to move this optional thing some other time a bit later so i can focus on exams which will affect where i can study and in the future, what job i will get.

I see so my mum i think is down back in London so she's not at home so i can't ask her to do anything.
"Mini lump" doesn't speak and read english that well, combined with the fact that she's go her own stuff to worry about and piling more stuff on her just isn't fair(she goes to uni and studies).

Well yup, i didn't even know that my M1 exam was after the break, i just though it's be before. I didn't get the details from home because i would never have though that i would even need to change it....... until i got my exam dates.
Original post by Supersaps
Don't stress about your theory test. Just don't turn up to it if you can't rearrange it. It's better to lose £40 than to fail your M1 exam.

Most important thing is, don't stress. Keep your eye on whats important and that's getting your grades.

SS

Unfortunately every penny counts towards the financial situation my family's in so it's all wasted.
Original post by ODES_PDES
You have issues

I do have huge issues
Original post by Impressive
Oh my.

Why am I not surprised seeing this?

Oh, wait. I think it was me who said you're going to make a thread about your dad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno
Was it? i just made is last night since it was something to get off my mind
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Hate is a strong word.

Hate is a strong word but not strong enough for my dad.
Dude I understand about the exam being importnat so see no reason for your first 2 paragraphs. I just see it a bit pointless raving on at your dad, when it was your responsibility to book the test. You already know how hopeless he is.

Jusr let it pass and take it another time.
Reply 8
You complain that your dad won't rearrange the date even though it's something that could be done very quickly, and yet you say you don't have the time. First of all, you had time to write this thread. In that time you could have called your dad, told him where the papers with login info are, got him to send you a picture of them and changed the date yourself. Secondly, you're not revising 24/7 anyway, you should be taking breaks (and you clearly are since you wrote this thread) so you definitely have a moment to sort this out, especially since it's apparently such a quick thing to do.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Dude I understand about the exam being importnat so see no reason for your first 2 paragraphs. I just see it a bit pointless raving on at your dad, when it was your responsibility to book the test. You already know how hopeless he is.

Jusr let it pass and take it another time.

It was my responsibility but i can't just predict the future and know when all my exams are, the dates came quite a few days after i booked the exam when i went back to school.
If i pass it on and i just skip it ten my dad will be pissed af because i didn't go to the test when he paid for it.
I want to take it another time but he won't change it.
Original post by Nadile
You complain that your dad won't rearrange the date even though it's something that could be done very quickly, and yet you say you don't have the time. First of all, you had time to write this thread. In that time you could have called your dad, told him where the papers with login info are, got him to send you a picture of them and changed the date yourself. Secondly, you're not revising 24/7 anyway, you should be taking breaks (and you clearly are since you wrote this thread) so you definitely have a moment to sort this out, especially since it's apparently such a quick thing to do.

Why would i call my dad? He's not the nice kind of caring parent at all, the only thing he'd tell me if i called him is what he already sent me as a text, i.e. to be more organised and sort my **** out.
He already know where the login papers are because he told me that the cut off time to change the date before you're charged anyway regardless of whether you go or not is on that paper where i wrote down the password and user.
Again if he has time to do this then why can't he do it? He has plenty of time at home. He doesn't do **** at all. He ****ing sleeps at like 4 am then wakes up like 3pm in the afternoon. My point is i'm more bogged down with work than he his and i'm more active doing more revision than ever, i'd rather concentrate all on my exams and have nothing to do with the theory test, i don't even want to remember anything about it for now.
It took me about 1 hour to make this thread, i was doing a C2 maths past paper while i was making this o.o

It's like passing on a bloody message y'know. Where the person will pass on the information to get something done but won't actually do it, in which case why doesn't the first one do the job anyway? they're all capable so why spread it around to get someone else to do it?

Quick Reply

Latest