The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage calls for second referendum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
Fear mongering is fair enough but not from the government and not using our money.

Why is it the best option? Economically the EU is a sinking ship and industry in the UK has gone backwards since joining.

Fear mongering is around for a reason. If you think the EU (or most other non-commonwealth countries) are going to let the UK walk away from such an important trade bloc, with few repercussions whatsoever, then you are deluding yourself.

Britain's economy has been going backwards since the early 1900s. It's no longer a great empire. It's a small, resented little island, with few proper resources that it knows how to exploit, that has upset a lot of people through the years, whose only real asset at the moment is probably its financial services industry, which only about 4% of the population is actually employed in.

The old powers are sinking. So either we all stick together, and try to reinvent ourselves, or we resign ourselves to the fact that in 300 years, whatever this island is, whatever the people of this island are like - it's not going to be anything that warrants the word 'Great', in front of Britain. (And, no, not even in a geographical sense. The world is a big place.)

The government is supposed to represent the people's interests - that's what it's trying to do.
Has it been rather rude and patronising? Yes. Should it have sent out those silly leaflets? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever. It's frightened, and rightly so. You do not want to be around to witness the backlash a 'leave' success would provoke.
Reply 61
Original post by Hirondelle127
Fear mongering is around for a reason. If you think the EU (or most other non-commonwealth countries) are going to let the UK walk away from such an important trade bloc, with few repercussions whatsoever, then you are deluding yourself.

Britain's economy has been going backwards since the early 1900s. It's no longer a great empire. It's a small, resented little island, with few proper resources that it knows how to exploit, that has upset a lot of people through the years, whose only real asset at the moment is probably its financial services industry, which only about 4% of the population is actually employed in.

The old powers are sinking. So either we all stick together, and try to reinvent ourselves, or we resign ourselves to the fact that in 300 years, whatever this island is, whatever the people of this island are like - it's not going to be anything that warrants the word 'Great', in front of Britain. (And, no, not even in a geographical sense. The world is a big place.)

The government is supposed to represent the people's interests - that's what it's trying to do.
Has it been rather rude and patronising? Yes. Should it have sent out those silly leaflets? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever. It's frightened, and rightly so. You do not want to be around to witness the backlash a 'leave' success would provoke.

Very good post.

Whatever you think about the lack of control the EU represents, do not for one second believe that the UK on its own is a world power with anything to say. Without the EU, the only thing keeping the UK on the world stage is as its role as the US's closest ally, politically, and that is a very feeble relationship. Economically it's London and that is likely to be impacted, too, by a Brexit.

In a 100 years, Brazil, China, Russia, even some African countries (no one noticed how much China is investing in some of these) will have greater output than any single European country. It is only combined that they have anything to say in the world.
Original post by Hirondelle127

What backlash? Yes some EU bureaucrats will be upset because they have to endure a salary cut. We don't need the EU to make money. Just because we aren't part of the undemocratic group it doesn't mean we are their enemies. The EU may have been a good idea but they've handed too much power to the unelected. The only elected person who has real pull with the EU is Merkel and I don't think I need to say anything about that.

It's only a trading bloc. It doesn't mean we're sparking a war by leaving it and if they would want war over us leaving then I think that gives us enough reason to leave in itself. Do not bow to bullies.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
You do realise there is 5% unemployment, If we get these 5% who are capable of work in to work then we would have little need for more immigrants.

Also by letting the immigrants in you are generating more opportunities for more jobs to open up as there will be more strain on services BUT If we go out of the EU the country will be stable and if we need more workers we just need a system in place to only allow ones in that would suit jobs that are in high demand.

There will always be people unemployed, for various reasons, 5% is not a bad figure at all; despite what media and other sources suggest.

There is no way we will need more workers in the UK when we are out of the EU because foreign companies will not want to invest here. In the EU the UK can run a business with easy access to ~740 million people. If the UK is out of the EU, a business has easy access to only ~60 million people. If I was a business I'd rather run in Germany / France etc who would have a huge work force to choose from than the UK with a smaller access. Also strain will not decrease if we leave the EU, leaving the EU will not reduce the UK population hence the strain will only increase / stay the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Well then clearly if the racists (I'm sorry, 'Euroskeptics':wink: win and people vote to leave then we should also have another referendum.

wtf this is such a ridiculous thing to say, how the hell can you tarnish everyone who votes leave as racist?
People like you is why the left has got this reputation of being whiny, hypocritical and childish.
How is being anti-EU even remotely equatable with being racist?
It's been a pretty shambolic run-up to the referendum with bad behaviour from both sides. But having a second referendum in the case of a narrow result is ridiculous. You might as well not have the referendum in the first place if you're not going to accept a narrow vote which, let's be honest, it probably will be. And I don't want to have to endure this political circus again. Regardless, if anyone deserves a second go, it's remain. Both sides have behaved embarassingly but leave has been substantially worse, decrying absolutely everything that doesn't agree with their view as scare tactics, whilst using the most ridiculous scare tactics themselves in the same breath.
Original post by nulli tertius
You mean it didn't have anything to do with the fact that we were excluded from our principal fishing grounds off Iceland following the loss of the Cod Wars?

Ah, so it was because Iceland didn't join the EU!
Original post by Jebedee
Well how would you address the impartiality on behalf of the government then? Obviously you want to ignore it because you want to remain.

The Government isn't impartial. It is the UK Government's position that the UK should remain in the EU.

Original post by TercioOfParma
I think that is reasonable, the establishment deliberately triggered the referendum before leave could reach critical mass.

You what? The likes of UKIP have been crying out for a referendum for ages- they wanted this much earlier.

Farage is being typical Farage - that's to say he is being stupid. He doesn't want to accept defeat and is most probably worried about his own descent into irrelevance once all this is over and the UK votes to stay in the EU.
Original post by InnerTemple
The Government isn't impartial. It is the UK Government's position that the UK should remain in the EU.

You what? The likes of UKIP have been crying out for a referendum for ages- they wanted this much earlier.

Farage is being typical Farage - that's to say he is being stupid. He doesn't want to accept defeat and is most probably worried about his own descent into irrelevance once all this is over and the UK votes to stay in the EU.

They were talking about doing it in 2017/18 however, they haven't really had as much time as they had hoped to build momentum.

If there's a decisive Remain vote, the problem of what to do with a surplus Farage will become quite acute.
Original post by TercioOfParma
They were talking about doing it in 2017/18 however, they haven't really had as much time as they had hoped to build momentum.

In March last year, UKIP wanted a referendum before the end of 2015. They even promised to help the Tories out if they agreed to hold one. And back in May 2014, Farage said he'd like to see a referendum within a week of the European Election results.

Now all of a sudden the country isn't Eurosceptic enough and he needs more time? Oh dear...

Original post by Fullofsurprises
If there's a decisive Remain vote, the problem of what to do with a surplus Farage will become quite acute.

I'm hoping he'll just disappear...
Original post by SHallowvale
Nigel Farage has called for a second referendum on our EU membership in the event of a narrow Remain win.

What do you think about this?

I see this as extremely hypocritical. UKIP and Euroskeptics had cricitised the second Lisbon Treaty referendum that Ireland had claiming, falsely, that the EU ignored the first result. Now it seems that some of them would like the same thing.

Funny how pro-democracy our pro-democracy party can be. Then again, we cannot expect much from either a man or party that cry their eyes out every time they lose.

i don't expect he would ask for a re-run in the event of a narrow vote in favor of leaving :colonhash:
Like the SNP

He knows it's stay to win, so putting it out there.

I'm undecided. Will see the pros & cons in June just before EURO 2016 Begins!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely he would also become surplus if we were to leave, having achieved what appears to be his sole purpose in life?
Original post by Platopus
Surely he would also become surplus if we were to leave, having achieved what appears to be his sole purpose in life?

UKIP would re-merge with the Tory Party (it's really part of it anyway) and Farage would become a junior minister under Boris. As they are both almost perfectly bonkers, they will get on well. :rolleyes:
Original post by Platopus

If we leave, Farage has to negotiate the amazing deal with the EU him and his mates have promised us.

The one where we get all the benefits but don't pay in or play by their rules.
UKIP would re-merge with the Tory Party (it's really part of it anyway) and Farage would become a junior minister under Boris. As they are both almost perfectly bonkers, they will get on well. :rolleyes:

If we leave, Farage has to negotiate the amazing deal with the EU him and his mates have promised us.

The one where we get all the benefits but don't pay in or play by their rules.

I see... Well then, I stand corrected!
Original post by Kieran1996
Do you even work?

It amuses me how many people on TSR say this.

In my own office and my parents half of the employees are from the EU and non-natives of the UK.

If we seriously think we will be fine without the work force we get from outside then we are stupid and the education system needs a massive re-haul (which it does - look at Sweden's':wink:

Also how can we say this as people in 2016? We should be helping others not just rejecting refugees in countries WE have been assisting in ruining., e.g. Syria

This is the entire point you muppet. What do you think unemployed people do? You really think unemployed Brits (many who have degrees) have less skills than Poles? On what planet?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Well then clearly if the racists (I'm sorry, 'Euroskeptics') win and people vote to leave then we should also have another referendum.

This post is all what is wrong with the remain campaign. Calling someone racist just because they have a different view to you is just plain stupid and puts you into the category of extreme anarchist or left wing nutter who claims all white men are racist, sexist pigs.

Also if leave wins by a very narrow margin say a couple of % I'm pretty sure you (a hypocrite I'm sure) will be campaigning for a 2nd referendum to ensure we stay in.

Quick Reply

Latest