The Student Room Group

Edexcel ICT - Unit 3 - Last Minute Laura Guidance !

rr
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Student-007
Hi guys!
It seems that there are still many of you who are getting stressed over this exam or are really confused about it all !
It may seem daunting at first especially with all this nonsense about cosine and phase angle as well as the 10 pages given on the model but I believe that's just to put people off
I've sat down and gone through this and worked out all the formulas needed !
Trust me you only need 4 or 5 and most of them you can copy down anyway . ( for activity 2)

The only bits relevant to us that we will actually put in is all in the violety coloured sections and all you need is the "selection page" and "sights page" to complete it (Activity 2) .

Any questions please submit and I'll do my best to answer them by tomorrow evening

When's your exam, mines on the 27th ? :biggrin:
Hi guys!
It seems that there are still many of you who are getting stressed over this exam or are really confused about it all !
It may seem daunting at first especially with all this nonsense about cosine and phase angle as well as the 10 pages given on the model but I believe that's just to put people off
Trust me you only need 4 or 5 and most of them you can copy down anyway . ( for activity 2)

The only bits relevant to us that we will actually put in is all in the violety coloured sections and all you need is the "selection page" and "sights page" to complete it (Activity 2) .

Any questions please submit and I'll do my best to answer them by tomorrow evening

Any tips or advice?
what are your predicted answers for activity 1 and 2
Original post by Wahduhhell21
what are your predicted answers for activity 1 and 2

Activity 1 will just be 10-13 aspects of the pre release which are important for the model and then activity 2 :smile:
Reply 5
Hey, for activity 4 what do you think are problems with the model and what are possible suggested improvements

Also are the july tides predicted before july or were they calculated as each day passed?

Also for depth in and clearance in what formula fits better:
Depth in =IF(Sights!D12>Selection!J14,"N","Y").
Clearance in =IF(Sights!E12<J14,"N",IF(Sights!D12>14,"N","Y")
OR
Depth In - '=IF(J14<Sights!D12,"N","Y")'
Clearance In - '=IF(J14>Sights!E12,"N","Y")'
Hi guys!

Do you know the formula for the phase angle sin and cosine??
Reply 7
And I think we all know What Depth In and Out are really referring too.
Original post by 6969
And I think we all know What Depth In and Out are really referring too.

This is no joke. We take the exam extremely seriously so if you cant behave appropriately then just leave.
Hi guys!

Do you know the formula for sine and cosine
What formulas do I need for the exam please?

I have it tomorrow, and I don't really know what I'm doing. I'd appreciate anything that you tell me! :smile:

Thanks
Original post by Joe_Allen7
Activity 1 will just be 10-13 aspects of the pre release which are important for the model and then activity 2 :smile:

if noticed your formula in each day is ifferent from the previous on the same cells such as depth in depth out, why is that?
=COS(Angle*4*PI()/30)

If you look at the sheets at the bottom you will find a sheet called October sheets, if you click on the numbers in the sin and cos row these formulas will come up in the formula bar at the top.
Original post by s.mm
Hey, for activity 4 what do you think are problems with the model and what are possible suggested improvements

Also are the july tides predicted before july or were they calculated as each day passed?

Also for depth in and clearance in what formula fits better:
Depth in =IF(Sights!D12>Selection!J14,"N","Y":wink:.
Clearance in =IF(Sights!E12<J14,"N",IF(Sights!D12>14,"N","Y":wink:
OR
Depth In - '=IF(J14<Sights!D12,"N","Y":wink:'
Clearance In - '=IF(J14>Sights!E12,"N","Y":wink:'

I'd say the second one, its what i've been using and its a lot shorter but i dont know whats best..ive been debating it too
late I know, but the formulae that I have used are:

Depth In: =IF(AND(J14>=Sights!$D12,J14<=Sights!$E12),"Y","N":wink:
Depth Out: =IF(AND(K14>=Sights!$D12,K14<=Sights!$E12),"Y","N":wink:
Clearance In: =IF(J14<=Sights!$E12,"Y","N":wink:
Clearance Out: =IF(K14<=Sights!$E12,"Y","N":wink:
Original post by zainahmed48
late I know, but the formulae that I have used are:

Depth In: =IF(AND(J14>=Sights!$D12,J14<=Sights!$E12),"Y","N":wink:
Depth Out: =IF(AND(K14>=Sights!$D12,K14<=Sights!$E12),"Y","N":wink:
Clearance In: =IF(J14<=Sights!$E12,"Y","N":wink:
Clearance Out: =IF(K14<=Sights!$E12,"Y","N":wink:

have you done the exam?
Original post by toki112001
have you done the exam?

no my exam is tomorrow, this is just what ive used for the practice files.
Original post by zainahmed48
no my exam is tomorrow, this is just what ive used for the practice files.

ok,
Hey, someone following the thread asked me to post my practice file, so here it is.

As stated I used =IF(AND( formulae for the depth in and out, and just simple =IF( formulae for clearance.

I wanted to satisfy the minimum and maximum values of the depth in and depth out, therefore using an IFAND formula which stated that the tide start should be greater than the lowest value and the tide end should be less than the highest value in the sights page.

I used standard IF statements for clearance saying that my tides have to be less than the max value in the sights, for a certain attraction.

Lets use the example of Bird Sanctuary. The values are from 1.8 to 20 I believe, and so I wanted the depth to be between these two values so I used the IFAND function. if these functions gave me a Y in the purple boxes, I could use a standard IF statement in the clearance columns stating the value needs to be less than the max value in the sites sheet. I didn't need to use another IFAND as the depth functions already stated that the tide sits between the two values.

I'm extremely sorry for being sooooooo confusing but I hope I helped a little bit. Feel free to look at my practice sheet, and don't worry its not blank even though it is labelled LML_practice_blank!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending