The Student Room Group

National 5 History Exam

A forum for the National 5 History Exam 2016. I'm willing to help anyone with any of the following topics:

Scotland on the Western Front

The Atlantic Slave Trade

Lenin and the Russian Revolution

Feel free to discuss the exam before and after :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is the history exam in a format where you choose which questions to answer? Asking as I've noticed people are studying differant topics to me.. Thanks
Original post by Aidan.15
Is the history exam in a format where you choose which questions to answer? Asking as I've noticed people are studying differant topics to me.. Thanks

There are multiple topics, but you only answer the questions under the 3 topics you have studied, do not panic and answer anything else :smile:

What have you studied?
Reply 3
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
There are multiple topics, but you only answer the questions under the 3 topics you have studied, do not panic and answer anything else :smile:

What have you studied?

Yeah I thought that just wanted to make sure, thanks. I've been studying the creation of the medieval kingdom, the first and third crusades and the Scottish wars of independence:smile:
How's everyone feeling?
Reply 5
Doing Slave Trade, WW1 and WW2 lol :biggrin:

Feeling alright, But I think WW2 is gonna let me down :/
Original post by Jay431
Doing Slave Trade, WW1 and WW2 lol :biggrin:

Feeling alright, But I think WW2 is gonna let me down :/

I'm confident, I got full marks on the prelim w/o Russia so hopefully it goes well.
How's everyone feeling?

Nervous 😂
Is anyone doing Hitler and Nazi Germany? Please message me if you can offer any help including why the Weimar Government was weak. Thank you!
Reply 9
I'm confident, I got full marks on the prelim w/o Russia so hopefully it goes well.

I got 90%. Just hoping everything goes well :smile:
Original post by Jay431
I got 90%. Just hoping everything goes well :smile:

6 mark explain questions are the bane of my life, ugh.
Reply 11
6 mark explain questions are the bane of my life, ugh.

Take forever. Them and those how fully things -_-
Reply 12
Original post by Emmaj2000
Is anyone doing Hitler and Nazi Germany? Please message me if you can offer any help including why the Weimar Government was weak. Thank you!

Each party got given seats in the Reichstag which reflected the number of people who voted for them. This caused lots of small parties (and some extremist parties) to get in and it resulted in coalition governments that were unable to pass laws and make decisions

article 48 meant that in the case of an emergency, the president could make decisions with the agreement of the Reichstag. Hitler used this as a means to take power while still doing so legally.

The stabbed in the back myth proposed that the Weimar were responsible for Germany's defeat in ww1. However these claims held little sustenance but still people believed them and turned away from the Weimar.

When the Weimar signed the treaty of Versailles it caused an uproar. They had essentially agreed to all of the terms of the treaty including huge reparations of 132 billion gold marks. This would later result in hyperinflation.

Hyperinflation came about after the Weimar missed a reparations payment. In order to pay back, they began printing off more and more money. This resulted in hyperinflation and money no longer held much worth. For example, a loaf of bread which cost 250 makes in January 1923 had soared to 200,000 million marks in November 1923.

The great depression of 1929 served to highlight weaknesses of the weimar. Germany was relying heavily on loans from the USA at the time and so when the USA suffered an economic crash they would be wanting their money back from Germany. The great depression caused mass unemployment and the Weimar tried to solve this by increasing taxes and introducing wage cuts (this clearly didn't work and caused people to turn to Hitler who had all the answers).

The good thing is that you can use these points for a lot of things like: how did the nazis get to power (for that you should also mention propaganda, public speaking and terror and intimidation).

Hope this was a help! :h:

Reply 13

It wont let me edit my post but the fiery bullet point is called proportional representation.
Original post by Puppo

Each party got given seats in the Reichstag which reflected the number of people who voted for them. This caused lots of small parties (and some extremist parties) to get in and it resulted in coalition governments that were unable to pass laws and make decisions

article 48 meant that in the case of an emergency, the president could make decisions with the agreement of the Reichstag. Hitler used this as a means to take power while still doing so legally.

The stabbed in the back myth proposed that the Weimar were responsible for Germany's defeat in ww1. However these claims held little sustenance but still people believed them and turned away from the Weimar.

When the Weimar signed the treaty of Versailles it caused an uproar. They had essentially agreed to all of the terms of the treaty including huge reparations of 132 billion gold marks. This would later result in hyperinflation.

Hyperinflation came about after the Weimar missed a reparations payment. In order to pay back, they began printing off more and more money. This resulted in hyperinflation and money no longer held much worth. For example, a loaf of bread which cost 250 makes in January 1923 had soared to 200,000 million marks in November 1923.

The great depression of 1929 served to highlight weaknesses of the weimar. Germany was relying heavily on loans from the USA at the time and so when the USA suffered an economic crash they would be wanting their money back from Germany. The great depression caused mass unemployment and the Weimar tried to solve this by increasing taxes and introducing wage cuts (this clearly didn't work and caused people to turn to Hitler who had all the answers).

The good thing is that you can use these points for a lot of things like: how did the nazis get to power (for that you should also mention propaganda, public speaking and terror and intimidation).

Hope this was a help! :h:

Wow thank you so much!! 😊
Reply 15
Wow thank you so much!! 😊

No problem!
is anyone doing the russian revolution, changing britain or the era of the great war? If you are doing any of these what kind of questions do you think will come up hah, I have a feeling it will be the democratic reforms in the changing britain topic, any thoughts?
Can anyone give me the points I need to know to answer questions on hitler and nazi Germany
I'm doing the Slave Trade, WW1 and WW2. If anyone wants some notes on them I'll be more than happy to help.
Reply 19
Hey, Good Luck for tomorrow! Could you share some notes on the Slave Trade? I'm doing National 5 :smile:

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending